Choral Music reccomendations.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I am looking for some thoughts/suggestions on choral music, non operatic.

Can't hang with Opera yet, working on it, but not there yet, actually not even close. As my mom and dad used to say about my Rock N Roll, "It all sounds the same to me".

What I am looking for is music that is vocal multi layered, harmonic, dimensional, but not all out chants.

Any suggestions with possible links would be amazing!

TIA

Mike

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Not mainstream but one of my favorites:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
listening to this Lp right now. RR-57, Lp and CD.

great sound. soundstage from horizon to horizon......wonderful ambience and bass energy. no edge or brightness from the massed voices......natural and sweet. you are welcome to visit for a listen if you are so inclined.

the cool part of this RR recording is it's tape sourced. Prof. Johnson did not get his hirez sickness until later when he started to use a digital source for his Lps.

rutter.jpg

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
listening to this Lp right now. RR-57, Lp and CD.

great sound. soundstage from horizon to horizon......wonderful ambience and bass energy. no edge or brightness from the massed voices......natural and sweet. you are welcome to visit for a listen if you are so inclined.

the cool part of this RR recording is it's tape sourced. Prof. Johnson did not get his hirez sickness until later when he started to use a digital source for his Lps.

View attachment 29132

This recording probably has the widest and deepest soundstage I have ever heard

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am with you on Opera...not there yet. But big fan of Handel and Bach mass choral music. Bach - Mass in B Minor (John Eliot Gardener), Handel's Messiah (Sir Christopher Hogwood is the one that started ALL choral music for me) or Neville Marinner. If you like either, keep exploring the choral music from either...i have most if not all of the choral works of both. On a system with low distortion a good scale, it presents both the small nuances and the magnificence at once which is fun both musically and in terms of the audiophile kicks of enjoying the system and what it can do...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Speaking of Operas, I love the Opera singers...males and females...sopranos and tenors. It is the most powerful and emotional musical instrument of them all...the voice's timbres. Choral music is extremely soothing and closer to heaven.
Classical music is the real stuff.
I get way more soul satisfaction listening to those genres than RAP music, or Heavy Hard Metal Punk music with yelling and vulgar lyrics.
I'm from the romance genre, my blood runs more lighter, more liquid when pumping into my heart. :b

Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin are fine too, just on a different level. Same for Billie Holiday and John Coltrane and Miles Davis and John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson.

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015
Some good recommendations so far.

I'm happy to see that they are all modern woks. I am a member of talkclassical.com forums, and the vast majority of the people there are mostly fans of old works. It gets boring there always seeing the same old warhorse recommendations.

Morten Lauridsen - Lux Aeterna

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I am with you on Opera...not there yet. But big fan of Handel and Bach mass choral music. Bach - Mass in B Minor (John Eliot Gardener), Handel's Messiah (Sir Christopher Hogwood is the one that started ALL choral music for me) or Neville Marinner. If you like either, keep exploring the choral music from either...i have most if not all of the choral works of both. On a system with low distortion a good scale, it presents both the small nuances and the magnificence at once which is fun both musically and in terms of the audiophile kicks of enjoying the system and what it can do...

Like you a big fan of Handel and Messiah in particular. Have the Paul McCreesh and Emmanuelle Haim CDs. Both very good and the lyrics clearer on the latter,
Neville and Andrew Marriner's Pentatone SACD of Mozart's Clarinet Concertos in K622 and 581 arrived today. Very good. It is also multichannel SACD for those unlike me who have the right kit-PTC5186 048 A lovely expressive and flowing recording.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 170

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Many recordings of Carmina Burana - Carl Orff ---- I like the Andre Previn and Seiji Ozawa recordings best. The Previn has the best orchestra and the Ozawa has the best chorus. Both are excellent all around.

Turtle Creek Chorale - Psalms - Reference Recordings ---- I'm not at all religious, but this is a beautiful choral recording. Also has really great bass in the organ accompaniment. (make sure your art work is firmly mounted on your walls)

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Although certainly not "modern", the Tallis Scholars gave a refreshing take on the Allegri Miserere:

Image 9-26-16 at 8.41 PM.jpg

The famous solo/chorus "call & response" chant is hypnotic here, with the traditional solo female part being sung by a young boy. Tremendous cathedral ambience and good sound too.

I understand that the Tallis Scholars have redone this recording for Blu-ray Audio, with a multichannel high-res recording. The antiphonal sections can be clearly delineated, just as the four organ consoles in the famous Bach organ recording on Sony SACD.

Lee

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
When it comes to Choral music there is only one game in town for me: Ola gjeilo

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Well I am going to be stuck in the rabbit hole for a bit!
Wife thinks I am bat poop crazy, but its where I am at, at the moment.
Thankee Si for all the suggestions so far, just getting my feet wet in all this.

Mike, without a doubt I need to hear that on your kit.

Don't be shy keep em coming! :D

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
one to satisfy a search for enduring choral music and for audiophile excellence...brought to you by FIM Winston Ma

Handels Messiah.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing