All New Devialet Phantom GOLD....World's BEST Speaker System, at any PRICE ???

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Kal

Did you listen to just one or did you hear two of them together with vinyl also?

Steve Huff liked two silver phantoms better than his Focal Sopra 2's with > Vinyl...
I heard one, two and, with other Phantoms, 5. Stereo and multichannel. No vinyl but that is irrelevant, imho.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
I heard one, two and, with other Phantoms, 5. Stereo and multichannel. No vinyl but that is irrelevant, imho.

We never know until we hear these Phantoms, with vinyl, with our own ears

It might be vinyl that brings these Phantoms to life Or it might be bringing Tubes in the mix Or it might be both of them together that brings these Phantoms to life

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have heard them at a number of shows including the recent CEDIA 2016. They look and sound cute but that is about it. :) They were "flapping" their wings unlike anything I have seen in speakers! Fascinating to look at for sure....

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
I cant imagine building a high end system around these things but this video shows that one of these Egg's could be a pretty impressive portable outdoor speaker for parties and camping. Seems to have a decent level of loudness to it while playing in a free air setting outside.

Not so sure I'm a big fan of all that driver movement though :eek:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I have heard them at a number of shows including the recent CEDIA 2016. They look and sound cute but that is about it. :) They were "flapping" their wings unlike anything I have seen in speakers! Fascinating to look at for sure....

Air pushing rather than vibration propogation of bass?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Devialet Phantom GOLD....World's BEST Speaker System, at any PRICE ???

No ! It's NOT.

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
The original video reminds me of being at the pool last week and having a lady tell me, " I've got the best sounding speakers in the world " to which I had a feeling what was coming. ..."Bose". I wanted to reply , "contentment is destroyed by comparison " but I just told her that she was lucky to own really good sounding speakers.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
This company is just starting out, who knows, maybe down the road the phantom model x's will take over the high end market too.

This could be the future!

Active speakers.. 99% of the time is always better than passive speakers.. no matter how good the gear is!

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
This company is just starting out, who knows, maybe down the road the phantom model x's will take over the high end market too.

Active speakers.. 99% of the time is always better than passive speakers.. no matter how good the gear is!

Let's not get crazy here! This product may be marketed as a world beater but any TRUE audio enthusiast would know better then believe the hype. At some point the laws of physics will sink in with regards to what's possible from this small egg shaped novelty item. I mean, it is sold at the Apple Store, need I say more :)

I can see several useful situations for such a product (out by the pool, camping..etc) but I highly doubt any real audiophile enthusiast will be trading in there full size Wilsons or Magico's for one or many of these things.

I would consider one for the exact purposes I previously mentioned but that's where my interest ends

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Let's not get crazy here! This product may be marketed as a world beater but any TRUE audio enthusiast would know better then believe the hype. At some point the laws of physics will sink in with regards to what's possible from this small egg shaped novelty item. I mean, it is sold at the Apple Store, need I say more :)

I can see several useful situations for such a product (out by the pool, camping..etc) but I highly doubt any real audiophile enthusiast will be trading in there full size Wilsons or Magico's for one or many of these things.

I would consider one for the exact purposes I previously mentioned but that's where my interest ends

I think it's just a matter of time before they come out with a Phantom Floorstanding Model X Speaker that will blow our minds!;)

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

You need to hear Goldmund speakers then. Not just active, but DRC/DSP built in, all with class A/B power and Dac built in. Pity they are so expensive.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Yes, it's a FUN speaker setup and not bad sounding at all. In the original ones they crippled the mid/HF with mediocre drivers, I guess to make space for the Gold and later the Platinum versions?

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
I wonder if anyone has tried some good high end power cables on these Phantom Gold's yet? :b

It might just make these phantoms come alive and sound much better!;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing