Turntable Wall Shelf

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi all,

I am about to start a conversion of my listening room and wondered about adding some TT wall shelves. These appear to be the optimum isolation - why do more of us not use them?

Any recommendations for brands?

Cheers

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
SVT-Bamboo-Wall-Bracket.jpg

Quadraspire in bamboo look & sound great

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi all,

I am about to start a conversion of my listening room and wondered about adding some TT wall shelves. These appear to be the optimum isolation - why do more of us not use them?

Cheers

There are many reasons why I find them impractical,

- You're limited in positioning them by your structure and if you made a setup mistake or made changes to your system that might require reshuffling or moving of equipment a wall shelf can become very problematic.

- Higher mass & larger tts will not fit on such shelves and most I've seen are simply too flimsy to provide a decent foundation.

- Many tts have 2 or more arms try setting one up through a wall :D! Even if you don't have one of those today your next one might have two arms.

- Sheetrock walls resonate.

david

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
There are many reasons why I find them impractical,

- You're limited in positioning them by your structure and if you made a setup mistake or made changes to your system that might require reshuffling or moving of equipment a wall shelf can become very problematic.

- Higher mass & larger tts will not fit on such shelves and most I've seen are simply too flimsy to provide a decent foundation.

- Many tts have 2 or more arms try setting one up through a wall :D! Even if you don't have one of those today your next one might have two arms.

- Sheetrock walls resonate.

david

Hi David,

All interesting points. The 2nd arm thing is interesting but surely I can set it up on my dining room table and then transport back?

Agree with the weight issue with TT's like your American Sound monster and Thorens - just not going to work.

I would be bolting this to an exterior double skinned wall that it very sturdy.

Maybe I am wrong but it seems an easy option? Even for my Golden Gate - should work well for that as it is very microphonic with px25 valves.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Px4 are very quiet in comparison according to Al

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Px4 are very quiet in comparison according to Al

Hi Bonz,

I am not talking about the tube being quiet - the px25 is the quietest I have heard along with px4. Microphony is completely different concept and big 45 bottles (my eml mesh) - also suffer. Hell even 101d are microphonic at high levels.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Bonz,

I am not talking about the tube being quiet - the px25 is the quietest I have heard along with px4. Microphony is completely different concept and big 45 bottles (my eml mesh) - also suffer. Hell even 101d are microphonic at high levels.

I know he was referring in terms of microphonics

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi David,

All interesting points. The 2nd arm thing is interesting but surely I can set it up on my dining room table and then transport back?

Agree with the weight issue with TT's like your American Sound monster and Thorens - just not going to work.

I would be bolting this to an exterior double skinned wall that it very sturdy.

Maybe I am wrong but it seems an easy option? Even for my Golden Gate - should work well for that as it is very microphonic with px25 valves.

Hi Bill,

It depends on the 2nd arm but I need access to set up the VTA/SRA and tracking weight fine tuning with the SME/EMT/FR arms that I use and the table needs to be connected to the system for me to fine tune, YMMV with different tonearms. There are many higher mass tables on the market today, I was thinking in terms of the TW or AirForce 3 where I see potential weight issues.

I used a wall shelf with a Linn Sondek LP12 in the 80's when I was living in the UK and I remember having problems with the walls rattling when I cranked up the volume with bassy music. You probably won't have an issue using an exterior wall.

david

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Bill,

It depends on the 2nd arm but I need access to set up the VTA/SRA and tracking weight fine tuning with the SME/EMT/FR arms that I use and the table needs to be connected to the system for me to fine tune, YMMV with different tonearms. There are many higher mass tables on the market today, I was thinking in terms of the TW or AirForce 3 where I see potential weight issues.

I used a wall shelf with a Linn Sondek LP12 in the 80's when I was living in the UK and I remember having problems with the walls rattling when I cranked up the volume with bassy music. You probably won't have an issue using an exterior wall.

david

Hi David,

You are right - the shelves I have looked at so far have ratings below the 45kg I need for my Kuzma...

What rack do you use for your gear? The big Adona that Mike uses looks vfm and very sturdy.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Jim has a metal wall frame for his kronos pro - like a shelf but the frame made of metal and TT sitting on it

Does it look decent and waf Ked?

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
Hi all,

Cheers

I understand this is a thread on shelves but when you said adding TT wall shelves to your listening room, I was reminded about how I could hear people who were talking coming through the cart into my headphones during a quiet passage. Which is why I keep the volume as low as possible when I convert vinyl LP's to digital files. My TT is close to the speakers.

I started a thread elsewhere about moving a TT into another room away from the drivers. I got the idea from my father way back in the sixties. Still think it's a good idea.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi David,

You are right - the shelves I have looked at so far have ratings below the 45kg I need for my Kuzma...

What rack do you use for your gear? The big Adona that Mike uses looks vfm and very sturdy.

For tts I use old steel lab tables made for microscopes, they're inexpensive used and provide a very solid and massive foundation.

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing