ULTRA 11 Sneak Peek

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Just thought I would give a little "sneak peek" of the new ULTRA 11's:)

14435063_1105217662861425_696616720243781048_o.jpg

14322494_1134887483269279_4454636491489971533_n.jpg

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I'm curious at what point VSA decided to move from Seas to Accuton. I imagine it was really about figuring out how to make them sound right, since others have failed so often. VSA seems to have a history of making speakers with drivers where they really shine like no one else has been able to before.

Does it have to be active for the large woofers, like the VR ?

I really like the mixing of the dynamic and ribbon tweeters. And those things are big! Back to measuring stairwells and freight elevators, right? !

Last edited:

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Hi Folsom,

We still love the Seas drivers and thank you for the compliments. The VR line as you know is based around the Seas drivers. We really like the performance we get from the Accutons in our new ULTRA line of speakers and they just work really well with the Beryllium tweeters.

The woofers are completely passive and the dual 15" subwoofers in the back are Active.

Your right about the stairwells and elevators though lol

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Ah, that makes some sense. I recall talking about concerns with the driver material. Accutons fit better with beryllium due to hardness, so I imagine.

Hiding the 15's huh...

Well, thanks for sharing.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Excellent stuff. Looks great.

And not a half photo or curtain anywhere to be seen :D

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
interesting switching to the Accuton.....and it appears to be a ceramic membrane. possibly the woofers are the same as the 11" ceramic woofers in my MM7 main towers. the mid's appear to be different.

ceramic is so light and stiff, if you can tame it's tendency to ring you have a winner. and I much prefer the presentation of a ceramic driver to any metal driver I have heard. it reminds me of the delicacy of a full range ribbon or planer.

I recall when I switched from the VR9SE's to the EA MM3's in 2006 one thing I preferred was the presentation of the Accuton Ceramic mid range compared to the VR9SE mid range.....and I loved the sound of the VR9SE's. (I never intended to change from Von Schweikert, I had ordered VR11SE's that never got built so I moved on). it was simply a preference thing about the sound of the mid range. I had enjoyed the Accuton ceramic mid in my Kharma Exquistes too. I felt like the ceramic mid and ribbon tweeter were and still are a sweet combination and always synergistic.

I would expect that I would really enjoy the sound of these new VS's.

Last edited:

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
interesting switching to the Accuton.....and it appears to be a ceramic membrane. possibly the woofers are the same as the 11" ceramic woofers in my MM7 main towers. the mid's appear to be different.

ceramic is so light and stiff, if you can tame it's tendency to ring you have a winner. and I much prefer the presentation of a ceramic driver to any metal driver I have heard. it reminds me of the delicacy of a full range ribbon or planer.

I recall when I switched from the VR9SE's to the EA MM3's in 2006 one thing I preferred was the presentation of the Accuton Ceramic mid range compared to the VR9SE mid range.....and I loved the sound of the VR9SE's. (I never intended to change from Von Schweikert, I had ordered VR11SE's that never got built so I moved on). it was simply a preference thing about the sound of the mid range. I had enjoyed the Accuton ceramic mid in my Kharma Exquistes too. I felt like the ceramic mid and ribbon tweeter were and still are a sweet combination and always synergistic.

I would expect that I would really enjoy the sound of these new VS's.

Hi Mike,

Will you be going to Axpona next year? Do you ever get down to southern California?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing