heyComposers- wondering what you think of this.

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
Wondering your impressions of a style of notation I'm embracing. totally handwritten- staves and everything.

any comments totally appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MGwoPXyZpQ

new to the forum. Excited to meet yall.

I for one am impressed. Very enjoyable. I feel that you have imagination, ability and talent. I listened to a few more compositions of yours - not just the linked ones. The overall style somehow makes me think of French Impressionist meets Philip Glass meets contemporary movie score, but it is still an individual style nonetheless. Then I went to your site and what you do appears to fit right in with my initial listening impressions!

Well done. Top class!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I listened to a few of your pieces. I suppose for the Youtube videos, the handwritten music has merit, but I just listen to the music.

The style is very reminiscent of George Winston and other Windham Hill pianists.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I've only listened to your youtube music video:
- Sound quality only ? It's missing the full piano sound...probably due to the mic quality and positioning. I also don't know what type/brand of piano you played on that video.
- Music rhythm/composition only ? I found some liaisons not smoothly transitioning between. The overall result is a little lost in music translation to me, like my emotions aren't connecting between slower and faster passages.

Sorry for being dead honest. Keep playing; the piano is my favorite musical instrument, and with practice you won't have to ask anyone else what they think; you'll know yourself with assurance just by listening on your own. It's only my opinion on what I think, feel, hear and groove to.

? Do you know this site: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/

Zachybinx

Sep 20, 2016
I for one am impressed. Very enjoyable. I feel that you have imagination, ability and talent. I listened to a few more compositions of yours - not just the linked ones. The overall style somehow makes me think of French Impressionist meets Philip Glass meets contemporary movie score, but it is still an individual style nonetheless. Then I went to your site and what you do appears to fit right in with my initial listening impressions!

Well done. Top class!

Hey thank you so much for checking it out! that's exactly the genre I'm shooting for so this was very very encouraging to read! I really appreciate it :)

I listened to a few of your pieces. I suppose for the Youtube videos, the handwritten music has merit, but I just listen to the music.

The style is very reminiscent of George Winston and other Windham Hill pianists.

Very interesting, since I don't listen to those composers. But I can see how it could fit in that catagory. Thank you so much for the feedback- on the music and the notation.

I've only listened to your youtube music video:
- Sound quality only ? It's missing the full piano sound...probably due to the mic quality and positioning. I also don't know what type/brand of piano you played on that video.
- Music rhythm/composition only ? I found some liaisons not smoothly transitioning between. The overall result is a little lost in music translation to me, like my emotions aren't connecting between slower and faster passages.

Sorry for being dead honest. Keep playing; the piano is my favorite musical instrument, and with practice you won't have to ask anyone else what they think; you'll know yourself with assurance just by listening on your own. It's only my opinion on what I think, feel, hear and groove to.

? Do you know this site: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/

Hey, I really appreciate you checking it out! very much appreciate the honesty. It's valuable to know who I won't be reaching with it ;) Been playing/writing long enough to know I wont be changing a note at this point but I really appreciate your input. It's a steinway grand, recorded on a vintage four track cassette recorder, using top of the line mics. I was looking for an old fashioned sound. Thanks for the site suggestion!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Hey, it's a youtube music video (highly compressed audio...lossy). Did you try recording your "Steinway Grand" with only one mic, and in high res audio (24/96), less loss?

"Looking for an old fashioned sound." ...Interesting; how is it supposed to sound, Zach? :b

Yeah, check gearslutz, it's the perfect place for pro and amateur musicians.

Zach, just curious, how did you end up here?

Zachybinx

Sep 20, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LFThRSBY9w

was pretty influenced by this recording. and old recordings of jelly roll morton. anyway it was a 9 foot "steinway grand" haha not sure how better to describe it. recently tuned and in top working order. We had a couple different mics set up to capture the room and the soundboard. I didn't mix or master the thing though, so you'll have to excuse some of my ignorance of the more technical audiophilic aspects. the albums up on bandcamp, if you want to see if there's any difference between the youtube and the audio files but idk, my ear isn't really sensitive enough to tell the difference myself.

I found this forum by googling "classical music forum" lol.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I see... http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?19654-What-are-you-currently-listening-to-(Classical)

Listen to this: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...to-(Classical)&p=414005&viewfull=1#post414005
________

* I did check more of your youtube piano compositions. You seem to like that sustain pedal...
And that video just above, old recording; high distortion coming up my laptop speakers. It sounds like an old CD player from the mid 80s. ;-)
I can hear the belt spinning. And the high piano notes are in the red of the tape machine's record level meters. The music itself is fine, the performer as well.
The tracking is off, and the needle's tip need lubrication. The record can use a good wash/bath too.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing