Sipping Rum

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Over the summer I have rekindled my interest in rum. Cut my teeth in the tropics on research vessels sipping rum over crushed ice after a long day of work. Moved on but have found my way back.

Want to recommend Diplomatico as a brand to try. Their Reserva is fairly inexpensive and insanely good for the price. If you like a smooth rum with hints of caramel, vanilla and old socks (just checking!) this one will be in your wheelhouse. At 80 proof it won't knock you down after a couple. It's also good neat. if you go the ice route, condition your ice with a small pour the first go, then use the same ice for a larger pour.

If you want to graduate/explore after that bottle, try one of their single vintage rums. I just received my 2002 today and had a quick taste with the store owner. A bit higher proof so it seems a little harsher but after it hits your taste buds the flavors just keep coming. I'll follow up with a more comprehensive report after a more detailed examination of this bottle.

Anyone else out there with a special rum to try?

Beau

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I was watching an interesting, if slow documentary about prohibition by Ken Burns. I was rather surprised to learn that prior to prohibition, rum and not whiskey was the premier spirit. This thread is timely since I never really sipped rum, ever. Thanks for the thread start. :)

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Have no idea what Australian rums are available overseas, but a premium variety from one of the distilleries here should go down nicely. Tried Jamaican rum once or twice, but they're were Gawd awful, to me :) - incredibly harsh, unpleasant - how can people drink this stuff!?

I drink this type of stuff neat, so smoothness and character - equivalent to a good single malt quality - is my cuppa ...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Extreme Category (for us)
Cadenhead Greenlabel Demerara Rum 1975

Top Shelf Category
Ron Millonario Reserva Especial
Diplomatico Reserva Single Vintage 2000

Solid Performer
Diplomatico Reserva
Mount Gay 1703 (prefer Diplomatico Reserva without doubt)

Incredibly good value for money
Kraken Spiced Dark Rum

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Ron Zacapa rum

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Extreme Category (for us)
Cadenhead Greenlabel Demerara Rum 1975

Top Shelf Category
Ron Millonario Reserva Especial
Diplomatico Reserva Single Vintage 2000

Solid Performer
Diplomatico Reserva
Mount Gay 1703 (prefer Diplomatico Reserva without doubt)

Incredibly good value for money
Kraken Spiced Dark Rum

So Lloyd, did you actually release the Kraken? LOL

WHERE do you guys find this stuff?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Have no idea what Australian rums are available overseas, but a premium variety from one of the distilleries here should go down nicely. Tried Jamaican rum once or twice, but they're were Gawd awful, to me :) - incredibly harsh, unpleasant - how can people drink this stuff!?

I drink this type of stuff neat, so smoothness and character - equivalent to a good single malt quality - is my cuppa ...
Which Jamaican rum did you try. There are a bazillion rums in Jamaica and surely you didnt try the 25 year old premium stuff!

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

We have released many Krakens over the years! ;) Believe it or not, most of the ones i listed can be bought from Amazon, but you might have to wait for it to come in stock. The 1975 Demerara is long gone...none available anymore as it was a small run.

There is a huge Rum reviewer online... https://therumhowlerblog.com/ Good fun and very thorough.

...some extremely thorough reviews

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Jack,

I was clued in to the Diplomatico a few years ago by a bartender who happens to be from Venezuela where it's made. I also am friends with someone who owns a wine/spirits store so he lets me know about some. Also, the internet is your friend. You'd be amazed how many sites out there are dedicated to rating spirits, rum even has a few specific ones. I can only imagine how many Scotch has! Also there are several online retailers that ship worldwide. I have ordered some Scotch from a place in London that you can get here only by special order. Just like audio you need to pick up on preference of the the reviewers and match them to your own. Unlike audio if you get a "bad one" either your friends can enjoy it or it sits there waiting for your kids to grow up and it doesn't usually cost that much. :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
That is a new brand.

Appleton is better.

Yes, I think for the money, Kraken is surprisingly good but when it comes to serious drinking rums, we go for Diplomatico 2000 or (before we finished it) the Demerera Green Label 1975. Thanks for the recommendation of Appleton, will probably pick up the 12 year Old Extra Rum which was so well reviewed by Rum Howler.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing