Can someone go to one source format and be happy?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Ron,

IMHO we have as much controversies in vinyl as in digital ... The big advantage of vinyl controversies is that they considered subjective preferences and no one asks for proof and measurements! ;)

Agree up to a point (you knew this was coming :D)

Digital vs Vinyl ruffles feathers and you see people coming at each other with daggers and venom ..

digital vs digital or vinyl vs vinyl not so ... Those are more gentle: After all they're on the same side of the aisle and don't want a bloody civil war..

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Agree up to a point (you knew this was coming :D)

Digital vs Vinyl ruffles feathers and you see people coming at each other with daggers and venom ..

digital vs digital or vinyl vs vinyl not so ... Those are more gentle: After all they're on the same side of the aisle and don't want a bloody civil war..

Well, single teenagers cannot say my girlfriend is better than yours, and married men generally don’t say my wife is better than yours.

Point is, both camps are not debating, but only one of them is getting laid

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Well, single teenagers cannot say my girlfriend is better than yours, and married men generally don’t say my wife is better than yours.

Point is, both camps are not debating, but only one of them is getting laid

I don't get your point :confused:

I have both format and prefer digital. At one point I was an analog proponent. No more

There are LP in my collection that I don't care to get in CD format... When I need to listen to them I unearth the LP and play it. IF the albums is in CD format then it is the CD I play. Truth to be told there are numerous instances especially when the source is analog when the LP in its original form AAA is better to my ears than the CD . I do however find some gems that I prefer in digital. The Mercury Living Presence CDs come to mind.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
To the OP's question....YES, it is completely possible to enjoy only one format on one's main system. I made that commitment several years ago and I have no intention to change it. Vinyl is my format of choice. Some might say that I'm limiting my access to new music, as there is more music available in the digital domain, but I can't listen to it all anyway and thereby wouldn't discover much more. There is enough new music available on the vinyl format to satisfy my needs, plus there are thousands and thousands of used album titles readily available that I haven't even discovered yet. I don't personally feel I'm lacking for anything.

Have I given up on digital? Absolutely not! I have a very decent selection of FLAC files on my PC and a couple of hundred CD/SACD's that I also listen to.....just not in my main system.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I don't get your point :confused:

I have both format and prefer digital. At one point I was an analog proponent. No more

There are LP in my collection that I don't care to get in CD format... When I need to listen to them I unearth the LP and play it. IF the albums is in CD format then it is the CD I play. Truth to be told there are numerous instances especially when the source is analog when the LP in its original form AAA is better to my ears than the CD . I do however find some gems that I prefer in digital. The Mercury Living Presence CDs come to mind.

I have some MLP LP reissues that are total duds. Original presses are very hard to find near mint and even noisy ones can cost a bundle. I could live with the CDs as well.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
For me one of the great pleasures of our hobby is to listen do different sources and formats.
I agree with the opinion that the kind of music we listen to may influence the choice of the source, but I like my Living Stereo sacd collection played with La Fontiane CDP as well as native DSD files from Lampi DAC and my collection of vinyls.

But if I could afford only one source and format it would be digital and files, especially because of hires pcm and native DSD.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron,

IMHO we have as much controversies in vinyl as in digital ... The big advantage of vinyl controversies is that they considered subjective preferences and no one asks for proof and measurements! ;)

I think I mostly agree with you. Still I feel that controversies in vinyl about such things as direct drive versus belt drive seem less consequential than controversies in digital about such things as Redbook versus high-resolution formats. (I appreciate that that may not be a great analogy.)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I think I mostly agree with you. Still I feel that controversies in vinyl about such things as direct drive versus belt drive seem less consequential than controversies in digital about Redbook versus high-resolution formats. (I appreciate that may not be a great analogy.)

To me as a music lover there is no controversy: Redbook carries many millions of titles, hi-res a few thousand or a few ten thousand at best. Game, set, match. High-res is irrelevant.

Given that CD can sound excellent, beyond our wildest dreams decades ago, makes that even more so. And implementation trumps format. Redbook on the best digital playback will handily beat hi-res on lesser players anytime.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
To me as a music lover there is no controversy: Redbook carries many millions of titles, hi-res a few thousand or a few ten thousand at best. Game, set, match. High-res is irrelevant.

And given that CD can sound excellent, beyond our wildest dreams decades ago, makes that even more so. And implementation trumps format. Redbook on the best digital playback will handily beat hi-res on lesser players anytime.

The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive, and the last sentence is your assumption.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
and the last sentence is your assumption.

No, I've heard it. And it just confirms what many digiphiles have said all along over the years.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No, I've heard it. And it just confirms what many digiphiles have said all along over the years.

So you heard Challenge Classics and Channel Classics DSD? And you realize that you don't have to choose between them and PCM, you can have both?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
So you heard Challenge Classics and Channel Classics DSD? And you realize that you don't have to choose between them and PCM, you can have both?

It seems you are missing my point.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Given that CD can sound excellent, beyond our wildest dreams decades ago, makes that even more so. And implementation trumps format. Redbook on the best digital playback will handily beat hi-res on lesser players anytime.

It is shocking how far 44/16 has come and on 2 channel for me format/resolution is indeed irrelevant and content rules. Case in point, my two favorite Patricia Barber albums are "Verse (available in DSD)" and "Mythologies'. There is close to zero SQ differentiation on my system.

MCH, different story. No 2 channel can compete with well recorded native MCH content (Channel Classic, 2L etc.). However, here obviously availability of content is an issue. I default to MCH for 90% of classical. I also listen to rock almost exclusively as ripped Blu Ray live concerts video.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It is shocking how far 44/16 has come and on 2 channel for me format/resolution is indeed irrelevant and content rules. Case in point, my two favorite Patricia Barber albums are "Verse (available in DSD)" and "Mythologies'. There is close to zero SQ differentiation on my system.

MCH, different story. No 2 channel can compete with well recorded native MCH content (Channel Classic, 2L etc.). However, here obviously availability of content is an issue. I default to MCH for 90% of classical. I also listen to rock almost exclusively as ripped Blu Ray live concerts video.

Exactly. Anyone can survive on 1 medium. We can survive on Bose audio if required. But if someone wants the best quality of, then 2-ch digital for classical cannot reproduce a lot of the good stuff on good quality vinyl or good quality MCH classical. At the same time, there is enough of good 2-ch material, some people are pure vinyl, and those like Kal Rubinson are pure digital MCH

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I am definitely a multiple source man, enjoying vinyl, digital streaming (Tidal), ripped files, YouTube, dsd, hires, bluray etc.

I feel some mediums favour some recordings more than others.

Cheers

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) But if someone wants the best quality of, then 2-ch digital for classical cannot reproduce a lot of the good stuff on good quality vinyl or good quality MCH classical. (...)

:confused::confused::confused:

jn229

Jul 23, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
Vinyl only in my system, one table with one arm. I have a CD player sitting in a box, on a shelf, collecting dust. Do not feel like I'm missing anything.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

Fidach Lad

Jun 24, 2015
Fidach
Yes, I don't plan to depart from digital 44.1/16 with a NOS Dac. I currently have an Audio Note (UK) AN CD4.1x one-box player on my main system. I am switching from a Wavelength Proton Dac to a Wavelength V2 Brick with the linear, regulated power supply on my computer audio system for headphone use and summer place. AN(UK) was meant to come out with a ladder Dac line to replace their current line of NOS Dacs, but it hasn't happened yet. I am thinking about eating my way up the Wavelength USB Dac line for my main system, if AN doesn't go to ladder Dacs.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Came to realize that the OP simply display our OCD.. Our collective OCD. If you care about music then you just listen to whatever provide you with the kind of music you like. We OTOH are in a perpetual FOMO-state (Fear Of Missing Out for the non-millenial among us :D). OCD by any other name.
Speaking strictly for myself... I am training myself not to dwell too much on the medium but on the music .. So I am (slowly) accepting, Spotify...
I listen however to Tidal and , Files and very rarely Vinyl depending on mood and on availability. Most often I succumb to the OCD and it has to be CD/Files (ripped CDs) or Tidal... :(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing