Can someone go to one source format and be happy?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
But usually not without spending quite a bit more money

There ya' go gettin' all technical again. :D Vinyl is a labor of love, digital sure is a lot more convenient. Both have their own set of deficiencies and attributes. Good point on the "music on the go", Jack.

Tom

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I've been thinking about this a lot recently. Could I live with one Source in this case Digital and be happy? If one is limited in resources and time does it make sense to focus on the highest quality you can afford? Rather than have a compromise in one area of the other.

I'm leaning towards No. Because in the end its the music and media that matters. Rather than chasing the latest and greatest source component.

Has anyone else every been faced with the same decision? If so, what did you decide.

Not only is it possible to go with a single source but also with a single format and remain quite happy for years, even decades.

With so many having multiple sources and multiple formats and even multiple systems (e.g. for different genres of music) it should be evident to some that many are just chasing windmills.

The key to understanding this is that the dilemma is not necessarily a single source / single format that's at issue. Rather it's the sheer volume of music info already embedded in a given recording of a given format of a given source which, though processed, needs to somehow remain audible (above the noise floor as opposed to inaudible below the noise floor) at the speaker that makes all the difference in the world.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
I've been thinking about this a lot recently. Could I live with one Source in this case Digital and be happy? If one is limited in resources and time does it make sense to focus on the highest quality you can afford? Rather than have a compromise in one area of the other.

I'm leaning towards No. Because in the end its the music and media that matters. Rather than chasing the latest and greatest source component.

Has anyone else every been faced with the same decision? If so, what did you decide.

Well I would look at what types of music you like and what formats it is available on. There are many LP's that never got transferred to CD as an example and many CD's out of print as well. Depending on your musical tastes,that more than anything will determine if you could do it or not. I am very happy using digital for my everyday source but I still have my fathers LP's in storage just in case I ever decide to explore in that direction musically.

Rob:)

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
The key to understanding this is that the dilemma is not necessarily a single source / single format that's at issue. Rather it's the sheer volume of music info already embedded in a given recording of a given format of a given source which, though processed, needs to somehow remain audible (above the noise floor as opposed to inaudible below the noise floor) at the speaker that makes all the difference in the world.
+1 ...

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Yet another yes from me. Sometimes I feel analog and digital are separate hobbies! Indulging in both is simply a choice. Either can be satisfying. Even as an analog guy first and foremost, I can't live without digital. I need my music on the go and analog today won't give me that.

I agree that they are separate hobbies!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
There ya' go gettin' all technical again. :D Vinyl is a labor of love, digital sure is a lot more convenient. Both have their own set of deficiencies and attributes. Good point on the "music on the go", Jack.

Tom

My point wasn't that digital is less expensive than analog (although it may be), but rather that acquiring and maintaining a 2 (or more) source system is much more expensive than a single source system. Assuming that one has only a set amount to spend on music and equipment, you'll have to give up something else if you want 2 or more sources.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I was just razzin' ya' ;). IME or at least along my audio journey, vinyl is clearly more expensive. You start with the TT, then comes the cartridge of choice, isolation, phono pre, anti static and needle accessories, then comes the record cleaning machine, steam cleaner, air compressor, record flattener (which I still need to purchase), shelves for the incredible weight of LP's and the space associated, LP clamps, outer periphery rings and the list can go on and on depending on how "picky" you are when it comes to vinyl playback.

With digital? A CDP and perhaps a DAC is all you need unless your source is other than a CDP.

Tom

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am happy with the sole source of vinyl. I enjoy having no dog in the hunt of DAC comparisons, silver discs versus streaming, upsampling controversies, etc.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
... I'm leaning towards No. Because in the end its the music and media that matters...

I'm curious. Why in your OP do you equate "media" with music? And just to be sure I fully understand, what is your definition of media?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'd think he meant storage media and thus the devices needed to access and play them but yes on closer reading he might mean something else.

I used to rationalize my (pre file based days) having SACD capability a lot because I have a few single layer SACD only discs. Looking back I think it's really funny what a stretch that was. In any case, the days of universal players came along and with file based play and even native play capability in single boxes that's all kinda become moot. I almost skipped on a transport altogether but decided to have one anyway.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
If that source has all the music you like .. why not?
in my case , it is digital , for sheer volume of music content , convenience and unwavering SQ in my system.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I used to rationalize my (pre file based days) having SACD capability a lot because I have a few single layer SACD only discs. Looking back I think it's really funny what a stretch that was.

Fortunately I never owned a single SACD, neither single nor double layer.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Those who are looking at a digital only system should also look at DRC, Trinnov, Acourate, and investigate pre and power sources like Behold Pre and power amps (which dagao preferred to his Vitus), where you can stream straight through an inbuilt dac to a 300w amp.

IMO digital after a certain price stops adding value so I will spend that money on vinyl, and if not vinyl, go DRC. Maybe DRC first as Acourate is cheap, streamed straight via PC with Acourate filters to dac, with the option of easily switching off the filter to get a pure signal. This will stay until amps and speakers are sorted out, and then vinyl.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I think both acourate and DIRAC have trial periods.. so you can try before you buy..
As to a pure signal , well with DRC and EQ that is a sort of contradiction as the purpose of both programs and their effect is to change the signal quite radically.
I couldnt live without dirac.. I have been fiddling with various digital room correction systems and digital eq since sigtech days and that was in 97 or earlier... tried many different systems... it's come a long way since then.

Bear in mind that I spend about 6 hours a day in the sweet spot , either dedicated listening or working and listening... i love exploring new music while doing so and have the time to do so..very easy with streaming

I have a lot of pals that get maybe an hour a day if lucky , my 2 pals with almost the identical systems to mine are vinyl only (for that hour) , they come home , do the whole cleaning ritual and put on a LP and relax .. both have well sorted streaming systems but they prefer the sound of LP's...and the convenience factor of digital is not a consideration for them

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
On post #1, your question can only be answered by yourself. You may even have to live the experience to be able to answer yourself. This hobby is all about compromises. In the end, you have to choose the compromises you can accept.

When I moved into my music room after an extensive 3 year renovation of our home, I started with CD as my only source. I have everything to enjoy LPs if I wanted to. But as of now, I am happy with CD and I have no inkling to set up the turntable to play LPs. I'm very happy listening to CDs. In the here and now, I am happy to continue with just one source.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
I'm curious. Why in your OP do you equate "media" with music? And just to be sure I fully understand, what is your definition of media?

Hello,

Thanks for responding. I meant that for in some instances let's say the analog pressing of 45 LP for a certain album is the best. For example, the all analog recording of Muddy Waters Folk Singer. There is no Redbook and HD Download to equal it If I enjoy this album both for both its sonic quality and personal taste. To my knowledge.

Wouldn't I want my playback source to remain in my system.

A digital copy and or vice versa if it were a newer recording and playing back on analog maybe be a compromise in this regard.

This is an example of how I'm finding it tough to go to one source in regards to media. I'm referring to the superior sounding analog and digital recording.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I am happy with the sole source of vinyl. I enjoy having no dog in the hunt of DAC comparisons, silver discs versus streaming, upsampling controversies, etc.

Very understandable, Ron. I have always kept my digital simple: silver disc only, no upsampling controversies (my DAC does the upsampling that it does, and it's regular PCM). I was turned off by the digital format wars as well, and did not want to waste any of my time, effort and resources on them.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Ron,

IMHO we have as much controversies in vinyl as in digital ... The big advantage of vinyl controversies is that they considered subjective preferences and no one asks for proof and measurements! ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I could easily live on current SOTA digital - it is my main listening format - but I am lot happier having both formats.

In some sense format affects my music preferences - I prefer a lot listening to rock or jazz in vinyl.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I could easily live on top digital - it is my main format- but I am lot happier having both formats.

In some sense format affects my music preferences - I prefer a lot listening to rock or jazz in vinyl.

In fact I love concertos on vinyl. Rock the nirvana L.P. is brilliant.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing