Master Built-What are Owners Hearing That They Didn't Hear With Other Cables

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Welcome to the Master Built thread. They are remarkable cables. Like you I found I had to turn the volume down as well.

Be careful as they are addicting. It took me a few years but I’m running a full loom in my system now

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com
When you refer " I had to turn the volume down a bit " how many dB's are you addressing? Thanks!

This is a common reaction to inserting MB Ultra cables in the signal path - I’ve experienced this with the Ultra ICs and with their speaker cables.

IME the change is on the order of 1 - 1.5dB depending on the system. As of yet I have no explanation for why this happens - I cannot believe it is due to lower losses as most cables should not introduce significant loss at these frequencies and lengths. The best theory I have is that the MB Ultra cables are so free from distortions of every sort that they effectively sound louder - i.e. dynamics are conveyed so faithfully that the music effectively sounds louder. There is also perhaps a lowering of the noise floor that helps with this perception of loudness.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It is difficult to explain but real I usually found I had to lower the gain on my preamp by about 3-4 clicks. My impression is that it lowers the sound floor so significantly as the possible cause

Reactions: mountainjoe

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Tell me about it Stevie. It's not that it feels loud but rather that the enjoyment comes in at a lower volume than before. The crazy thing is when you do crank it, it can be downright dangerous because there's no pain. Damon was shaking his head as Leif and I were getting plenty stupid while the VSA gents were doing their system set up help.

I got the 2 20A Ultras for the M1s so I just have two more 15As for the U11 subs and the U-USB to go and I'll finally be fully loomed. Me must eats more instant ramen but I will get there eventually LOL

They are working on a DIN Phono but I might not need this. I will likely go Jim's route and go for the Da Vinci 12" for my rear arm which has it's own cable captive. The Stone/Diamond Koetsus are just lovely with this arm.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Cats out of the bag. Wish you were here buddy!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Only until Friday. Too short!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing