configuration question

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I recently attempted to play the Chesky high-res DVD-R recordings on my system. We hooked things up thusly:

The MacBook Pro was connected to the IEEE1394 input on my Denon 4806 receiver via a 9-pin to 4-pin FireWire cable. The on-screen display flashed a message "MacBook Not Play". So, the receiver recognized what was hooked up, but would not play the files. If there was a setup error, I can't figure out what it was.

Another chapter in the frustrating saga of my journey into computer-based audio.

Thoughts?

Lee

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Gary,

Thanks for replying. There is a separate Denon Link input, already in use, so there was no mixing it up. The only open input jack was the FireWire one. The manual actually goes into some detail about configuring the IEEE1394 to play. I either messed up somewhere, or there is an incompatibility between the two devices.

What do you think?

Lee

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Lee,

I'm not sure - I couldn't find the Denon manual online. I had an Esoteric and a Sony with the IEEE inputs, and they were specific iLink connections, and not a general purpose input. All the IEEE1394 DACs I've used had special drivers for both PC and Mac - could you have a missing driver somewhere?

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Gary, quite possible that the MacBook (not mine) didn't have the necessary driver to be IEEE-compatible. That may be it. I've had several courteous emails with the folks from Mach2Music about this issue, and about their dedicated MacMini server. There are a few other hookup options I hadn't explored.

I'm ready to do some upgrade to my system, and have a few things to mull over.

Thanks for your time, Gary!

Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing