Is the Los Angeles Audio Show taking the place of the Newport show?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I know there are some issues with the death of the founder of THE Show and ownership. Maybe this is the result of the negotiations.

earlinarizona

Jul 17, 2010
Los Angeles plus Orange County would equal more people coming to the show. Having an airport shuttle to the hotel also will bring more. If the is the new location of the Newport show it is a win win and would replace CES with no problem.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Since I missed the show I was unaware Richard had passed.
Had a couple conversations with him,liked him alot.
He was very Dean Martinish in his manor. And by that I mean the Dean Martin Roast Dean.
Will miss his presence in the industry.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Los Angeles plus Orange County would equal more people coming to the show. Having an airport shuttle to the hotel also will bring more. If the is the new location of the Newport show it is a win win and would replace CES with no problem.

I think this location will be much more difficult to get to (for locals) than the Hotel Irvine. Traffic in and around LAX is a nightmare these days, and not expected to improve for the next few years (until several current and impending construction projects are finished). Should be convenient for those flying in, though.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Newport show in September?? at the Hilton Anaheim??

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I think this location will be much more difficult to get to (for locals) than the Hotel Irvine. Traffic in and around LAX is a nightmare these days, and not expected to improve for the next few years (until several current and impending construction projects are finished). Should be convenient for those flying in, though.

Depends upon where you live in Southern California.

When I lived in the Thousand Oaks area it was about 85 miles to Irvine / Newport mostly on the 405 so it was a not a fun drive.

LAX was 45 miles. Also not a delightful drive on the 405 but only about half as far.

However, now I live in Tucson so its a much longer way, about 7 hours to drive. Probably best to fly now. :)

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Hotel Irvine is the place to be. Nothing about LAX or the surrounding area is plesant.
It's a five minute Uber to the hotel Irvine from John Wayne.
The surrounding area is much more pleasant to walk around.
Not to mention Newport, Corona Del Mar, Dana Point, Laguna Beach, Fashion Island, South Coast Plaza.

LAX area is dirty, noisy, and just not very foot friendly. I have spent a lot of time in and around that area and I can't see the show lasting there in the long run, Irvine rocks th show.

I will not attend if in Los Angeles, there is a lot of reasons I left the state
and many of them would have to be dealt with to go there, no thank you.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
It appears THE Show will now be at the Hilton Anaheim. I also liked the Hotel Irvine, I wonder what happened there?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Oh no! I thought Hotel Irvine was a perfect venue for T.H.E. Show!

And now T.H.E. Show is in September! Two competing SoCal shows seems ridiculous. Whatever disagreement led to this splintering -- I think it is stupid and shortsighted. And T.H.E. Show was becoming very popular.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
And now 2 totally new venues where none of the exhibitors have shown before, which almost guarantees many rooms with so-so or worse sound :(

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I wasn't aware there was a split and there would be two competing shows. That's a shame.

RMAF is declining as well so sad story there, too.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Why take something that works so well and change it just because you can, another wining formula destroyed.
A shame.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Why take something that works so well and change it just because you can, another wining formula destroyed.
A shame.

From what I understand the sequence of events were triggered by two things

1. The hotel in Irvine not wanting to renew the venue next year

2. The death of the man who owned THE Show and who took it over

The man who owns the name moves THE Show to Anaheim BUT the LAOC audio society took the concept of THE Show as we know it and moved the location to Los Angeles whereas the man who owns the name moved the venue to Anaheim later in the year. Absolutely crazy

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Really tough on the vendors. Now three shows within the June to October period. RMAF will be hurt by having THE Show only a month before, in addition to the natural competition of the new show with THE Show.

Larry

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
From what I understand the sequence of events were triggered by two things

1. The hotel in Irvine not wanting to renew the venue next year

2. The death of the man who owned THE Show and who took it over

The man who owns the name moves THE Show to Anaheim BUT the LAOC audio society took the concept of THE Show as we know it and moved the location to Los Angeles whereas the man who owns the name moved the venue to Anaheim later in the year. Absolutely crazy

Ahhh, it all makes sense now!
I will just leave it at that. :(:eek:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What a completely stupid result! The parties involved -- probably operating on ego rather than on business logic, a desire to expand the economic pie for all of them and compromise -- it seems to me likely will have snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory. This will fragment what was an increasingly popular and successful audio show event.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing