Is the Los Angeles Audio Show taking the place of the Newport show?

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Yes this is just too much. I don't see this as a positive move IMO.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
What a completely stupid result! The parties involved -- probably operating on ego rather than on business logic, a desire to expand the economic pie for all of them and compromise -- it seems to me likely will have snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory. This will fragment what was an increasingly popular and successful audio show event.

Unfortunately this is more than likely the case, this coming from personal experiences with the group.

Too bad, so sad.

Now I have to rethink part of next summer.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Hopefully RAMF will come back strong next year (I'm already anticipating this year will be disappointing due to the venue's ongoing construction)

skolis

Mar 10, 2015
What a completely stupid result! -- probably operating on ego

++1

And.... just think of how great it will sound as the planes come down Century Blvd on their landing approach, right over the hotel...... I'm sure the exhibitors will the be thrilled.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
From what I understand the sequence of events were triggered by two things

1. The hotel in Irvine not wanting to renew the venue next year

2. The death of the man who owned THE Show and who took it over

The man who owns the name moves THE Show to Anaheim BUT the LAOC audio society took the concept of THE Show as we know it and moved the location to Los Angeles whereas the man who owns the name moved the venue to Anaheim later in the year. Absolutely crazy

I wonder why or how the money part did not work out for the Hotel Irvine (ultimately that's what its about). The crowd is pretty mellow and respectful of their surroundings so I don't see much collateral damage happening. The gorgeous lobby area seemed bustling with people getting their wallets out. To me the perfect venue if it has to be done in hotels.

I will take Anaheim any day over LAX area.

Have to wait a couple years for this to sort itself out.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
What I've heard is that Hotel Irvine simply got greedy. They saw the amazing crowds, for 2 years, and when it was time to renew, they just wanted a whole lot more.

Shame indeed, as I liked the venue and the rooms.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hotel Irvine was/is an attractive venue.
I'd rather the Hilton Anaheim than the Sheraton Gateway LAX. :cool:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Hotel Irvine is the place to be. Nothing about LAX or the surrounding area is plesant.
It's a five minute Uber to the hotel Irvine from John Wayne.
The surrounding area is much more pleasant to walk around.
Not to mention Newport, Corona Del Mar, Dana Point, Laguna Beach, Fashion Island, South Coast Plaza.

LAX area is dirty, noisy, and just not very foot friendly. I have spent a lot of time in and around that area and I can't see the show lasting there in the long run, Irvine rocks th show.

I will not attend if in Los Angeles, there is a lot of reasons I left the state
and many of them would have to be dealt with to go there, no thank you.

Great, then please don't come.

And you are quite incorrect about there not being nice places near LAX.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Great, then please don't come.

And you are quite incorrect about there not being nice places near LAX.

This is not a personal attack on the LAX area it is a comment comparing the two different locations. I know both areas intimately. The Orange County locations are more foot friendly and easier to get around.

And yes there are nice areas everywhere, your MDR is one of them.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
So just got off the phone with THE Show Newport Folks and here is the scoop:

1) The SHOW Newport is now THE Show Anaheim

2) Dates are now in Sept which were to have avoid conflicting dates with Munich since they were too close together

3) The LA Audio Show popped up out of nowhere to compete with them in their old time slot

4) The Rooms and layout have all been updated on THE SHOW website for exhibitors

5) A press release on the matter will be released very soon through Stereophile

So the only question that I have is who is running the new LA show and which one to go to next year..??

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . So the only question that I have is who is running the new LA show and which one to go to next year..??[/QUOTE said:
This is the question all prior exhibitors will be asking themselves, too! The manufacturers I know who are on the East Coast will not be coming to two LA shows.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Ok making progress :)

Found the number to the LA folks and got the other side of the informacion'

1) Marine who ran the THE Show Newport is running the LA Audio Show backed by the LA/OC audio society

2) The venue is much bigger/better (their words not mine)

3) The Dates make sense so that is why they are filling the old time slot THE Show newport gave up

4) Management of THE Show Newport is only with two people on the contact page Joe and Maurice(scary!!)

So from the finer details much too long to write it seems that the LA show will be the better show for manufacturers/dealers. THE Newport show doesnt have the staff that ran it prior so whether or not it will be similar experience will be entirely up to chance.

Judging by the negotiations to stay at the Hotel Irvine and renew I would be weary of participating with THE Show especially on dates that conflict with RMAF. If you can attend Newport you can attend LA from an visitor perspective so that point is moot as to which venue to go to.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
a bigger venue won't make for a better show.

Vendors as Ron said won't attend two. One will die of attrition unless dates are changed

Seems the guy in Anaheim has nothing to go by except the name whereas the LA show has the staff from The Show at Irvine hence they think they will be the survivor

Crazy thinking on both sides

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I remember going to the Stereophile Show at LAX in 1998......my first audio show and I really enjoyed it.

let's hope for the best.

I will miss the John Wayne airport and the relaxed space and neighborhood in Irvine. I was at a business meeting in late July and flew in and out of LAX. a train wreck I'd say. glad I won't need to leave the property.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
a bigger venue won't make for a better show.

Vendors as Ron said won't attend two. One will die of attrition unless dates are changed

Seems the guy in Anaheim has nothing to go by except the name whereas the LA show has the staff from The Show at Irvine hence they think they will be the survivor

Crazy thinking on both sides

Very true, but if you have the people that made Newport successful and add the backing of the LA/OC Society with a pinch of non conflicting dates with RMAF = Audio Omlette.

Hopefully the competition will be something positive for exhibitors and visitors alike.

Not to mention LA is closer to my favorite hang out spots and family so if I dont make it out to Cyprus next year I would do that show

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
We decided to go with the LA show due to the support of the LA/Orange county audio society as well as the people responsible for running last years Newport show. It looks like many vendors and manufacturers are also choosing this show as well if you look at the LA shows webpage and the amount of rooms that are already booked. We will be in room 214 on the second floor. I just looked at The Show Anaheim's site and it only looks like one room is booked. I will miss the show being in Irvine but extremely happy we were able to get in a much bigger room.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
+1

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing