The Great Wall Official Trailer 1 (2017) - Matt Damon Movie

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Watched this one today with my son. Was trying to skip this when I saw some monsters in the trailer but my cousin egged me to watch it.

I must saw it's a great cinematic production and the sceneries are just breathtaking and awesome. I have been to the Great Wall and I urge anybody to be there at least once in his life. Its greatness has be physically seen and felt and the experience is beyond words.

The movie is about a legendary aspect of the Great Wall, the way way way back, there were some orc-like monsters released by a meteor hit in some mountains and they always threatened the humans living behind the wall and the capital city. Matt Damon and a couple of westerners wandered to the wall area in search of 'black powder' to bring back to the west. And in so doing ended up helping the Chinese army defend the wall against the orcs and being taught the Chinese value of Trust. The fight scenes are fantastic and the music done is pulsating in accordance to the exciting fight scenes. From Crouching Tiger to Hero, and now this, Chinese movies really have come to Hollywood.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I came here to post the trailer; but as usual Steve is on average roughly five months ahead.

It only gathered 44% @ Rotten Tomatoes. The trailers look cool. It's something I want to see. ...The Great Wall, not Matt in particular. :b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I've never been there; China has some of the most gorgeous landscapes on Earth, and the Great Wall would be a very long trip to walk all across; it would take ... a very long time ... it is more than half the circumference of our planet!

How Long is the Great Wall?

13,170*miles (21,196 kilometers)

The total length of the Great Wall of China building in different dynasties is 13,170.69 miles (21,196.18 kilometers), announced by China's State Administration of Cultural Relics in 2012. The length of the Great Wall of Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) was 5,500.3 miles (8,851.8 kilometers) from Hushan in Liaoning to Jiayuguan Pass in Gansu on April 18 in 2009.

The circumference of Earth at the equator is about 24,874 miles (40,030 km), but from pole-to-pole — the meridional circumference — Earth is only 24,860 miles (40,008 km) around.

_____

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/peter-travers-the-great-wall-movie-review-w466886
https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...the-disappointments-of-the-great-wall/517086/
_____

The reviews aren't generous, but because like the Chinese people I'm big in (((3D))) ... comin' up ...

It is also in 4K ultra high definition. I've read good things about picture and sound quality.

It would be a balanced world to live in if all movies were good movies, with great picture and audio, and in 8K/3D/HDR10/Dolby Vision/Atmos/DTS:X/Auro-3D
Perhaps by the year 2050 when holographic laser projectors will be for sale @ Costco and that some people could purchase robots that they can officially marry!

_____

But for now, in the year 2017, The Great Wall on Blu-ray and in 3D is all the rage in China and other parts of the world ... 3D lovers.

The film itself didn't gather high praise, to the contrary; it's more like a video game. This where films are going, Marvel and DC comics with heavy CGI and 3D will be back when no more 3D glasses would be needed.

I think this film, unlike 'Lawrence of Arabia' was especially made to be viewed in 3D.
It's just that in North America the general populace is not like in China, or Japan.
Here we are just starting 4K. Across the seas they are in 8K, and they don't give up in 3D.
So it's not surprising that more film directors are filming in China for the Chinese market...much lucrative business.

But Batman and Superman and Spider-man and Wonder-woman ... are still kings around the globe, coming out from Hollywood.

Anyway, I'll be adding this one to my Jason Bourne's filmography. ...In 3D.
And, a film like this makes you learn more about The Great Wall of China. ...Plus, plus, plus...
Take all the monsters out and the pizza out and replace them by conquerors of the great Chinese dynasties, the real history behind the Great Wall. ...Simply amazing.
https://www.travelchinaguide.com/china_great_wall/history/

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I've never been there; China has some of the most gorgeous landscapes on Earth, and the Great Wall would be a very long trip to walk all across; it would take ... a very long time ... it is more than half the circumference of our planet!

How Long is the Great Wall?

13,170*miles (21,196 kilometers)

The total length of the Great Wall of China building in different dynasties is 13,170.69 miles (21,196.18 kilometers), announced by China's State Administration of Cultural Relics in 2012. The length of the Great Wall of Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) was 5,500.3 miles (8,851.8 kilometers) from Hushan in Liaoning to Jiayuguan Pass in Gansu on April 18 in 2009.

The circumference of Earth at the equator is about 24,874 miles (40,030 km), but from pole-to-pole — the meridional circumference — Earth is only 24,860 miles (40,008 km) around.

_____

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/peter-travers-the-great-wall-movie-review-w466886
https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...the-disappointments-of-the-great-wall/517086/
_____

The reviews aren't generous, but because like the Chinese people I'm big in (((3D))) ... comin' up ...

It is also in 4K ultra high definition. I've read good things about picture and sound quality.

It would be a balanced world to live in if all movies were good movies, with great picture and audio, and in 8K/3D/HDR10/Dolby Vision/Atmos/DTS:X/Auro-3D
Perhaps by the year 2050 when holographic laser projectors will be for sale @ Costco and that some people could purchase robots that they can officially marry!

_____

But for now, in the year 2017, The Great Wall on Blu-ray and in 3D is all the rage in China and other parts of the world ... 3D lovers.

The film itself didn't gather high praise, to the contrary; it's more like a video game. This where films are going, Marvel and DC comics with heavy CGI and 3D will be back when no more 3D glasses would be needed.

I think this film, unlike 'Lawrence of Arabia' was especially made to be viewed in 3D.
It's just that in North America the general populace is not like in China, or Japan.
Here we are just starting 4K. Across the seas they are in 8K, and they don't give up in 3D.
So it's not surprising that more film directors are filming in China for the Chinese market...much lucrative business.

But Batman and Superman and Spider-man and Wonder-woman ... are still kings around the globe, coming out from Hollywood.

Anyway, I'll be adding this one to my Jason Bourne's filmography. ...In 3D.
And, a film like this makes you learn more about The Great Wall of China. ...Plus, plus, plus...
Take all the monsters out and the pizza out and replace them by conquerors of the great Chinese dynasties, the real history behind the Great Wall. ...Simply amazing.
https://www.travelchinaguide.com/china_great_wall/history/

Bob

Fabulous find on the AI. That is scary spooky should this guy's prediction becomes correct and from what those videos on the AI show how could it not be possible

Our grandchildren might be "grand droids" :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Steve, we won't be part of the future of tomorrow, only the one from today and the few remaining years we have on this planet.
The film, The Great Wall, incited me to go beyond the film itself and into history of the real thing, and if humans can accomplish amazing structures like the Great Wall and the Great Pyramid from few thousand years ago, with the technology and the manpower and the pure will they had; it opens our mind into what the world of tomorrow would be like.
This is science, this is survival of the mind, defense of our planet and the people living on it.

We can explore various possibilities; research what some people already know and live, and it makes it even more mind boggling @ what could happen to Earth if the faith of humanity is in the mind of people of great power and persuasion.

It's only a film, with Chinese and American actors/actresses; with great costumes and on the set of the greatest world historic construction ever.
The 3D Blu-ray version is only available from overseas, from France for example (the cover picture I posted).
And it's the 3D technology of this film that made me research more about it, and that lead me to AI consequently.
Yes I know, 3D is dead in North America and UHD is in now...with the great push. The thing is that for me, and others too, 3D is just idling (sleeping) right now, only to eventually resuscitate in time and on target with our technological landscape.

It is inspiring, very. Because it made me search deeper into the subject, and beyond. I've watched many many more videos on AI and robots and world's history. If we would share everything we navigate in one day, we would discover that everything is related and important.
And when well predisposed and after viewing The Great Wall on Blu-ray 3D I will share my overall impression; for the film value and its technical merits.

Back in September of last year you posted the trailer; I came right here to add few more thoughts on what interested me directly related, and ... AI (some of the most interesting short videos among a multitude of them). I think they fit best the membership presence here, a more conscientious adult audience, in vast general. IMO

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I have this movie but have yet to watch it. Ralph Potts on AVS gave both the audio and video a score of 100 (out of 100) and called the movie "mildly entertaining" - which is all I ever want from a film. Most of the "official" reviews were less than kind.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Yes, 100/100/100 for Audio/Video/Dolby Atmos (technical merits).
And for the film itself: 2.5 points (out of 5, or roughly 50% +/-)
That was for the regular 1080p Blu-ray: http://www.avsforum.com/great-wall-blu-ray-review/

There is also the 4K (UHD) Blu-ray version (that one wasn't reviewed from Ralph Potts):

And finally there are 3D Blu-ray versions from overseas; my main interest on this particular BR title, on this film.
Coming up soon ... the France 3D BR version. ...In a new world of 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision, ...all that ultra high definitive jazz music session.

Chuck, if you watch the 4K BR version I am interested in your overall analysis...technically (audio/video wise) and film merit...the union between the two.
Phil's short take back from February (@ the theater) plus the film director, Yimou Zhang*, and his previous films; all make it a great wall of interest to me.

* "Yimou Zhang was born on November 14, 1951 in Xi'an, Shaanxi, China. He is a director and actor, known for Hero (2002), House of Flying Daggers (2004) and Curse of the Golden Flower (2006)."

I have those three movies above on Blu-ray in my library, and I love the artistry, cinematique qualities of visuals and sounds, very.
_____

The Chinese Master filmmaker

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing