In search of my last great loudspeaker

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
If you buy a higher line up wilson you can adjust the freq response via resistors and unit angle adjustment.
prefrably working hand in hand with Industrial measuring tools not an i Phone or something , i doubt that those cheap things would be very accurate

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Yes, you are right Steve. I just noticed that. Although Marty was talking about the Aida's--which threw me off. Nonetheless, I would still suggest the less expensive Sonja 1.1's and then as funds allow upgrade to the 1.2's and lastly the 1.3's. Although with Marty's Gotham V3's he may not need to get that extra bass module.

I'm a recent YG Carmel 2 owner and compared every speaker at and or below their price range. My speaker quest took me about a year as this was a huge purchase and commitment for me. My final two selections came down to I wanted a 2 way and a sealed cabinet. I felt the bass on a sealed speaker was so much more realistic.

Nevertheless I went with YG over Magico S1mk2 because Yoav Geva the designer I feel is beyond anyone in the industry with his technology. While other brands use "Exotic" Materials for their drivers I felt his proprietary crossover algorithm in which he wrote is the "Key" and Secret sauce if you will which put his speakers beyond his competitors.

His speakers are correct in both the time and frequency domain. No other manufacturer regardless of price has this technology or some of his others as well.

http://www.yg-acoustics.com/category/technologies

The proof is in the listening as his products have the most incredible and natural sound I've ever heard. Since you are in NJ you should give Bill Parish a call at GTT Audio if you haven't made up your decision yet.

The current YG line warrants a listen if you shopping in this range of products.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
What a great post, Marty - thank you for sharing and articulating your thoughts. I also believe that if the frequency response isn't right to begin with, nothing is going to fix that (and that has been my experience).

I look forward to your next post!

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Marty - I used to use an iPhone to read frequency response.

What you are seeing via your iPhone measurements and those you will see using a proper dedicated calibrated microphone are a world apart.

You have no idea of the true response until you get a proper mic, and download the supplied calibration tables.

How do I know this? Because I bought a decent calibrated test mic, and applied the calibration table to it.

I have spent a lot of time developing a custom built Duetta and measuring them. I know. Trust me. What you see via an iPhone is complete BS.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
A quick count of the resolution of an i Phone is that it cuts the 20hz - 20 kHz range into around 60 measuring points , 30 of them being under 550 hz, this is a very poor/ rough measurement , and taking conclusions on that is doubtfull imo , it gives only a rough impression

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I am not surprised Henk and Rich lost patience with a man using an iPhone as his reference...

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Marty,

very thoughtful post and an enjoyable read. speaker hunting should be a fun process.

best wishes on your decision, and congrats on whatever choice if you've already made it.

considering the respect you have here, I suppose we all hope you choose (or have chosen) what we particularly like. for myself; I'm big on a pure analog signal path for above 50hz at least, and....if possible.....a fully integrated design for the whole frequency range along with room adjustability built into the speaker.

at cash value $50k to $60k there are many choices; most up to $150k (or a bit higher) speakers can be acquired used in that neighborhood one way or another. and then there is the gamut of new offerings in that price range.

as we both know so well; the choice of which speaker is just the first step in the considerable room and system synergizing process. enjoy it.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Marty all the best don't get me wrong I don't mean to offend. I'm a huge Apogee fan obviously, but I don't mind if people think they are not for them.

But if you want a flat in room FR, you are going to need to use some sort of correction with any speaker. Simply moving them around will affect the FR, as will moving the test mic.

A flat FR is a bit of a myth. In fact I don't run my speakers with a measurably flat FR. Plus there are no studio EQ standards, so it is all hit and miss. For that reason I do use some digital EQ and I alter it from time to time. These days I know almost exactly which frequency(s) to apply it to just by listening to the recording.

Good luck.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
The tact broke. It was a modded tact and could not be fixed

Ked, Jazzhead, Franz,

The TacT was repaired and sold. The reason I'm moving on from DSP has been discussed in detail
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...pectral+jersey
Nothing wrong per se with DSP. Its a very good and useful solution to some real world problems of home audio reproduction. However, everything is an engineering trade off. I just want to try an alternate route using an all-analog domain system. I see an interesting approach and project I want to take on that at the minimum, should keep off the street as they say and while having fun at the same time.
Marty

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Oh you managed to repair it, didn't know

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What a great post, Marty - thank you for sharing and articulating your thoughts. I also believe that if the frequency response isn't right to begin with, nothing is going to fix that (and that has been my experience).

I look forward to your next post!

Rich has a massive room, plus it's open on one side and extends to the rest of his house, I.e. it is just a giant open space. And he drives his divas usually with AR ref 75, so not sure if that affects the FR

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Rich has a massive room, plus it's open on one side and extends to the rest of his house, I.e. it is just a giant open space. And he drives his divas usually with AR ref 75, so not sure if that affects the FR

Changing amps affects FR, rolling tubes in your Lampi affects FR. I know because I have measured it. If you can hear it, you can measure the change in FR.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Marty - I used to use an iPhone to read frequency response.

What you are seeing via your iPhone measurements and those you will see using a proper dedicated calibrated microphone are a world apart.

You have no idea of the true response until you get a proper mic, and download the supplied calibration tables.

How do I know this? Because I bought a decent calibrated test mic, and applied the calibration table to it.

I have spent a lot of time developing a custom built Duetta and measuring them. I know. Trust me. What you see via an iPhone is complete BS.

An iPhone is also bad at measuring SPL levels. You can get much more accurate measurements with a dedicated SPL meter from Amazon at 25 bucks. I would never trust the well-being of my ears to an iPhone.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing