Aesthetix IO

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I only heard the Absolare phono at CES shows and it sounded fantastic.

Hi Jeffy,

I also heard the Absolare at a show and it was wonderful there (Munich) with the Kodo Beat, Atlas, and Rockports.

That being said, I would never dream about passing a comparative judgement versus another phonostage without hearing them in the same system otherwise the comparison is really very misguided and no conclusion can or should be drawn other than it sounded great in that system.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Jeffy,

I also heard the Absolare at a show and it was wonderful there (Munich) with the Kodo Beat, Atlas, and Rockports.

That being said, I would never dream about passing a comparative judgement versus another phonostage without hearing them in the same system otherwise the comparison is really very misguided and no conclusion can or should be drawn other than it sounded great in that system.

I agree

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bill, Robbyd is the guy with the SPJ Alba and Koetsu Blue Lace I told you about. The IO eclipse with his TT will be wow.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Bill, Robbyd is the guy with the SPJ Alba and Koetsu Blue Lace I told you about. The IO eclipse with his TT will be wow.

I bet! Robby - get the Io Eclipse 3 box - will be stunning with your rig. Blow your mind.

robbyd

Dec 23, 2015
uk south-east
I'm sure it would be good, Bill - but right now I have an Audio Tekne which is also blowing my mind. (My wallet has also been blown)

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I'm sure it would be good, Bill - but right now I have an Audio Tekne which is also blowing my mind. (My wallet has also been blown)

Lol, I bet. Never heard the Audio Tekne but always heard good things on the grapevine. All those transformers :eek:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bill, I'm not usually envious of those on WBF
But this is not a usual instance LOL
You have the most amazing backdrop for any cart you choose to really shine
Did I say I'm not usually envious?...

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What is the lowest output cartridge you have used with the Io?

Has anyone used a ZYX Universe Premium -- .23mv or .24mv output -- with the Io?

If yes, how much tube noise do you hear at moderate to high listening volumes?

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs

Ron - I have two buddies with the Aesthetix Io and it definitely has adequate gain for a cartridge like the ZYX Universe Premium. The level of tube noise will naturally be dependent upon the quality of tubes used, and select low noise tubes particularly for those early in the circuit can help significantly in this regard. I can't give you an exact measurement for the amount of noise, but there will definitely be audible hiss at normal listening positions with the system volume at moderate to high levels. This phono stage excels in so many areas of performance including dynamics, inner detail, spaciousness, decay, etc. However if you're looking for a silent background I don't think this is for you. My friends both find its sound so engaging that they're willing to put up with some audible background hiss, while I do sometimes find it distracting. Hope this helps!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Which cartridge do you hear the hiss with? Or rather which carts do they use

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada

I am using a a Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum at ,25mV output. I have no audible hiss. I take great care in selecting tubes and the one's Aesthetix provides are good for low noise. It is not just the cartridge to consider it is the overall gain of the system and the requirements of the room. Speaker efficiency and room interface play into the gain required. I also sometimes use Alpha Genesis 1000 and 2000 which are ,23mV range and are ZYX designs by Nakatsuka - no issues.

Using a noise evaluation tool for the tubes is useful but not necessary as many suppliers can provide similar service...I use the VTV analyzer which works great .

Attachments

• Io2.JPG
    Io2.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 268

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Googling shows others using the IO Sig with Zyx, though lower models. Including radicalsteve from the ML website who owns CLX

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you Bill, Bonzo and Kcin!

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia

i heard that exact cartridge in two systems with Io in two different system....no probs!

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
One of the great aspects of the Io is that you can use virtually any low output MC with confidence. I'm going to grab one of the single layer Lyra's when it's time for a rebuild.

bluepearl

Nov 9, 2016
I am strongly considering the IO as my next phono stage, how much better is the dual power supply vs. the single? Due to rack space my preference is the single....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing