Aesthetix IO

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Bill,

I am also using the IO Eclipse, together with the Callisto Eclipse, both with dual power supplies! Very nice combo indeed!

Wow Kong, you just the Aesthetix too? Have you moved to your new place?

thekong

May 10, 2012
Oh yes, I am using the 6 boxes IO + Callisto combo!

My new place is under renovation, and hopefully I can move in before end of Nov.:)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

My new place is under renovation, and hopefully I can move in before end of Nov.:)

Cool. If you are free and set up might drop by in Easter or in summer

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Wow Kong - no messing about! Must sound awesome. Is that 48 tubes in total?

thekong

May 10, 2012
Hi Bill,

56 tubes for IO and Callisto! At the peak, I had to light up 112 tubes (IO + Callisto + 2 pairs of CJ Premier 8) whenever I want some music!

Now I am trying to cut down on the tube count with Pass replacing the CJs:D

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Funny when I heard Bill's IO I was thinking what this would do coupled with an apogee, given the high bass and slam and soundstage of both. Did you ever look for a one box solution that was equivalent?

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I have to say all this talk about the Io has me making some future plans. This is one of the very few tube phono stages that is compatible with SS preamps. The measured output impedance looks great.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Bill,

56 tubes for IO and Callisto! At the peak, I had to light up 112 tubes (IO + Callisto + 2 pairs of CJ Premier 8) whenever I want some music!

Now I am trying to cut down on the tube count with Pass replacing the CJs:D

OMG :eek: - awesome.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I have to say all this talk about the Io has me making some future plans. This is one of the very few tube phono stages that is compatible with SS preamps. The measured output impedance looks great.

It is an extraordinary phono stage tbh. I have heard quite a lot of top flight phono stages but this is very special indeed. I am excited to see what will happen when all NOS tubes are in. Also stealth caps and mooks under everything.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Can any of the IO owners name a one box phono they actively considered to replace their Aesthetix with, that came close?

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hi Bill, 56 tubes for IO and Callisto! At the peak, I had to light up 112 tubes (IO + Callisto + 2 pairs of CJ Premier 8) whenever I want some music! Now I am trying to cut down on the tube count with Pass replacing the CJs:D
We have an all BAT rig (2-box/REX pre + four VK-150SE monoblocks) and an all Atma-Sphere rig (2-box/MP-1 Mk. 3.2 + four MA-1 Mk. 3.2 monoblocks). Currently, lol, running solid state Grace Design m905 in pre position + A-S monoblocks. Fortunately, we have great central A/C for all the Class A heat! :cool:

Last edited:

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Can any of the IO owners name a one box phono they actively considered to replace their Aesthetix with, that came close?

I can't think of any. The real contributor to drive is the very substantial power supply. You just can't do that with one box. If I were to go from 3 boxes to 2 I'd consider the Atmasphere.

Even with a single supply, the Io really can play dynamics and separation well. NOS tubes ,if you've got the appetite to roll,takes it to another level.

I've tried ASR, Klyne , ARC over the last few years- I'm ok with the Io for now.

thekong

May 10, 2012
I can't think of any. The real contributor to drive is the very substantial power supply. You just can't do that with one box. If I were to go from 3 boxes to 2 I'd consider the Atmasphere.

Even with a single supply, the Io really can play dynamics and separation well. NOS tubes ,if you've got the appetite to roll,takes it to another level.

I've tried ASR, Klyne , ARC over the last few years- I'm ok with the Io for now.

I agree! While there are many excellent phonos, they just have difference characteristics from the IO.

For 1 box phonos that I have auditioned that has similar characteristics is the Rhea, but it is still a couple of steps behind. And it can be noisy when set at the highest gain!

Another option maybe the rare 2 box full feature MFA MC Ref. preamp. I have not played with it for a while, and never directly compared it with the IO, but if I remember correctly, like the IO, it is slightly on the warm side, pitch black background (maybe even more quieter than the IO), and has excellent bass slam (though may not be up to the IO’s level). My unit has just been repaired and fully checked by Scott Frankland. It is playing music in my friend’s den in California. Hopefully, I will have it, together with the latest 6 tubes version of the Wavestream Deluxe Phono, back by Xmas.

I am also very interested in auditioning the Atma-sphere MP1, but unfortunately they don't have any dealer in Hong Kong ?

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Hopefully, I will have it, together with the latest 6 tubes version of the Wavestream Deluxe Phono, back by Xmas.

I am also very interested in auditioning the Atma-sphere MP1, but unfortunately they don't have any dealer in Hong Kong ?

I've had an interest in Wavestream gear...this one in particular intrigues me
- http://tinyurl.com/jfkxe3k
If you lived closer, you could hear/borrow my MP-1 Mk. 3.2. :D

thekong

May 10, 2012

I've had an interest in Wavestream gear...this one in particular intrigues me
- http://tinyurl.com/jfkxe3k
If you lived closer, you could hear/borrow my MP-1 Mk. 3.2. :D

The V8 is indeed exceptional; my friend has the older version, which is having some problems due to age. But when it works, I feel that it can outperforms my CJ Premier 8 easily!

Thank you for the offer on the MP-1:) What other phono / preamp have you compared it with?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I think the Absolare Phono preamp sounds as good. It has a separate power supply, uses tubes, and no output step up transformers.

Did you audition these the three box eclipse io versus the absolare in the same system? If so, what tt and cart?

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Thank you for the offer on the MP-1:) What other phono / preamp have you compared it with?

You're welcome, thekong. :cool:

My MP-1 is configured with a phono stage; however, I've never used it, since my tt isn't set up. My other phono stage is a
Tri TRV-EQSE. Since my resurrected interest in audio, I've compared in my own room/system the following preamps/monitor controllers:

• Jeff Rowland Consummate
  • BAT VK-51SE
  • BAT REX
  • Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk. 3.2
  • Crane Song Avocet
  • Grace Design m905

The m905 is what I now use to switch sources and attenuate volume. Unexpectedly, the m905 also supplanted the Audio Note 4.1X Balanced DAC
for RBCD duty.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing