Aesthetix IO

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am making the switch to the dual power supplies late next year. I have not heard the difference myself, so I defer completely to those who have heard the effects of the upgrade to two power supplies, but, reportedly, the second power supply increases slightly dynamics and transparency and adds a bit more "heft" to the sound. I suspect the differences are small and incremental, but desirable, if you can accomodate the third big box.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I am making the switch to the dual power supplies late next year. I have not heard the difference myself, so I defer completely to those who have heard the effects of the upgrade to two power supplies, but, reportedly, the second power supply increases slightly dynamics and transparency and adds a bit more "heft" to the sound. I suspect the differences are small and incremental, but desirable, if you can accomodate the third big box.

Hi there,

I have added a second box. Definitely more shelf space and god forbid tube rolling options. In another forum sometime ago, Jim White was asked what improvements could be had by a second power supply. Here's what he indicated:

Adding the second supply improves the sound in the following ways:

.. Added space
.. Improved macro dynamics
.. Improved micro dynamics
.. Blacker backround
.. Greater ease to the sound, less strained

I concur,
thanks!

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Has anyone used a larger gauge power cord on the Io and noticed the difference? The Io pulls 400 watts but it is only driving the cable to the preamp.

Thanks

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Has anyone used a larger gauge power cord on the Io and noticed the difference? The Io pulls 400 watts but it is only driving the cable to the preamp.

Thanks

I have a friend that put top of the line Purist power cords on the dual supplies then had Purist build a custom umbilical between he supplies and the Io...he was quite pleased out the outcome

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada

Thanks

Sure, in my experience can easily make for a perceived improvement. Do you want to try something inexpensive?

Polish the blades of your current power cord with flitz or other metal polish. Clean with isopropyl alcohol thoroughly. Apply some deoxit. Do your best to clean the tangs on the Io supply IEC with alcohol and the slightest amount of deoxit.

Plug it in and be floored at new dynamics and punch. Power cords, plugs and associated maintenance can have a larger positive impact than most ICs in my experience.

RedSectorA

Feb 19, 2014

Thanks

I did change my PC's on my IO dual power supply to Shunyata Anaconda CX a long time ago and it did make a significant difference.

ClevelandBrownsFan

Aug 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I must say that I do balk at the prospect of having a second power supply box. Is anyone using the Eclipse Io with a single supply box? Feeling deprived?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I am using my 3 box sig with dual Sablon Elites - amazing cables.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Bill, would you please articulate the differences you hear between the stock Aesthetix power cables and your Sablon power cables?

On what kind of rack do you have the three Io boxes resting?

Have you changed out any of the stock tubes?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Bill, would you please articulate the differences you hear between the stock Aesthetix power cables and your Sablon power cables?

On what kind of rack do you have the three Io boxes resting?

Have you changed out any of the stock tubes?

Hi Ron,

Are you referring to the umbilicals or just the regular IEC? I have the Sablon Elites on the IEC with the Aesthetix umbilicals but I ought to commission Mark to make me the matter tbh. The Sablon Elite signature has great resolution, very low noise floor, potent bass, but importantly all this without expense to musicality, timbral fidelity and flow. They have beaten out some very expensive cables indeed.

The IO output chassis is on my Solid Tech rack of silence and the power supplies on the solid tech radius. No doubt that the racks could be much improved but I do have a solid concrete floor so pretty immune. I haven't touched the tubes yet but wrote to Greg Beron and have an action plan for 2017 - he has rolled them all and arrived at what he thinks the divinity :) In all seriousness, he said the improvements aren't subtle!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Bill.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thank you, Bill.

Welcome, Ron. Here is the recommendation FYI:

6922 = Telefunken
12ax7 = Philips miniwatt or Mullard long plates
6sn7 = Raytheon short bottle from 1940’s

BIG TUBE ISSUE: The tubes in the power supplies go bad too fast if you don’t have robust tubes in them. Soviet tubes seem to only last a few weeks so you should get a proper tube tester.
I have found NOS Chinese tubes are very robust and solved that tube issue for me.

2.) Shun Mook GDR’s under each chassis + Mpingo discs on the top.

3.) Synergistic Research (lively) or TARA Labs (rich & slightly dark) PC’s.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So Ron, the main reason I passed up IO was that I knew if o bought it, I would end up doing all these upgrades, as they will have a massive impact. Too much money too really in the analog cycle for me

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
So Ron, the main reason I passed up IO was that I knew if o bought it, I would end up doing all these upgrades, as they will have a massive impact. Too much money too really in the analog cycle for me

Except I have found that the phono stage is probably the single most important component in the analog chain. I would spend big money on an amazing phono preamp before I would going from a good to amazing turntable, arm or cartridge. It simply makes such a huge difference. I have heard awesome TTs (one of the big three motor magnetic drive Transrotors) with a great arm (SME V) and super duper cartridge (Transfiguration Proteus) ruined by mediocre phonostage. It actually made the analog sound worse than the digital. Hook up a good phonostage and that system sings but the owner hasn't taken the plunge to get what is really needed.

You would be better off with an IO (whatever the level of mods) and a mediocre rest of the chain than a great chain and a mediocre phonostage.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I don't mind buying it 3 to 5 years later, but till then will look for a comparable one box. I love vinyl but I will push optimizing purchase on that as far back as I can

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, you do realise the chance of you getting this unit in future for the price Bill did is practically zero
This is a bona fide, stone cold classic
It sounds great w tubes as is
You've always believed in a bargain
Bargain a not sufficiently strong enough word here
Your loss is Bill's entry ticket to
audio nirvana

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, you do realise the chance of you getting this unit in future for the price Bill did is practically zero
This is a bona fide, stone cold classic
It sounds great w tubes as is
You've always believed in a bargain
Bargain a not sufficiently strong enough word here
Your loss is Bill's entry ticket to
audio nirvana

This is the signature, not the Eclipse. You can get it at good prices as many don't want to maintain so many tubes

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I got lucky finding my Io Signature used. I have not seen many come up w/out the volume controls as I have a great pre amp. Still a bit overwhelmed with the Io's contribution to my listening. It will always be a great no compromise phono stage. I have a new power cable in bound so that should reveal additional improvements.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing