Aesthetix IO

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Except I have found that the phono stage is probably the single most important component in the analog chain. I would spend big money on an amazing phono preamp before I would going from a good to amazing turntable, arm or cartridge. It simply makes such a huge difference. I have heard awesome TTs (one of the big three motor magnetic drive Transrotors) with a great arm (SME V) and super duper cartridge (Transfiguration Proteus) ruined by mediocre phonostage. It actually made the analog sound worse than the digital. Hook up a good phonostage and that system sings but the owner hasn't taken the plunge to get what is really needed.

You would be better off with an IO (whatever the level of mods) and a mediocre rest of the chain than a great chain and a mediocre phonostage.

Yeah - I think that is good advice. My Io was utterly transformative!

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Yeah - I think that is good advice. My Io was utterly transformative!

It has never ceased to amaze me how many analog rigs I have heard that have a good TT, good arm and cart and a so/so phonostage and the sound is only so/so.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Y'all may be "Johnny come latelys" to Jim White's amazing Io, but I am so happy you have joined the club! :)

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Y'all may be "Johnny come latelys" to Jim White's amazing Io, but I am so happy you have joined the club! :)

Never leaving this club, Ron. Best phono stage I ever heard for sure. On a serious note, what is your recommendation on footers and power cabling? The Stillpoints today were a major disappointment - ruined the tone.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Never leaving this club, Ron. Best phono stage I ever heard for sure. On a serious note, what is your recommendation on footers and power cabling? The Stillpoints today were a major disappointment - ruined the tone.

Errr...Ron is not a footer guy, but he is beholden to try the mooks

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Well, I might not be an "IO" man but I got me a good'un.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I will be trying a Shunyata Alpha HC on the Io next week. It's been burning in fr the last few weeks.

jaxdr

Feb 21, 2017
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Shunyata Alpha with IO

I will be trying a Shunyata Alpha HC on the Io next week. It's been burning in fr the last few weeks.
Very interested in your thoughts on the HC version of this PC with the IO. I have recently upgraded my PC's to the Shunyata Alpha HC version on my Audio Research Reference 250 monobloc amps with great success. In addition to some of the typical benefits of these PC's (dynamics, transparency, imaging) they actually helped to tame some noise in my system which I believe is largely due to the dual power supplies of the IO. For that reason I want to add better shielded PC's to the power supplies of the IO. However I was not going to use the HC version for the phono stage. The info I have gathered to date suggests the high current (HC) version for larger equipment such as power amps. I would not imagine using the HC version is detrimental however it is an additional $300 versus the non-HC version.Have you or do you know someone who may have evaluated the HC versus the non-HC Shuyata PC with the IO? I have discussed PC's with Glenn at Aesthetix recently however did not discuss this particular point...I am glad you have mentioned the HC version. It warrants some further investigation. Thank You.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
There is no doubt the Alpha HC has improved the Io dramatically. The Io pulls around 350 watts so the larger total gauge is of benefit. The HC has twice as much filtering capacity so it also helps keep the noise done for the Io and other components.

It will still take some time to settle as I have changed multiple power cables and have another HC on order.

jaxdr

Feb 21, 2017
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Sounds good. Was not aware that the Alpha HC had additional filtering capacity. That alone would justify the additional expense of the HC. In my system the HC reduced overall noise when used on my amps. Using them on the power supplies will likely provide even more benefit. Appreciate your comments.
Let us know when your new PC's have finished in your system.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Will do. Please note the Shunyata Alpha series is not shielded. This has not been an issue in my system.

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have been using the IO with the 0.27mv Ortofon A90 without problem.

Hello thekong, What vintage tubes are you using in your Io?

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Has anyone substituted 5751 for the 12ax7 on the Io? I have plenty on gain in my system so I thought I might explore this option. I am using attenuation setting 3 and could be on 4 easily.

If so can you mix 5751 in position 1 and 12ax7 in the remaining positions in the phono preamp?

thekong

May 10, 2012
Hello theming, What vintage tubes are you using in your Io?

Hi Ron, I am using mainly stock tubes or current production tubes in the IO!

I have experienced using vintage Telefunken ribbed plate and smooth plates ECC83 in the first gain stage with very good result (to my ears) ! It gives a more airy sound than the stock tubes, which is exactly what I am looking for in my system.

Not sure if it was just my bad luck, the set of ribbed plate (supposedly NOS) turned bad / noisy pretty fast, in a matter of less than 50 hours. However, the smooth plate seems to be doing ok so far.

One of my friends, who is using the older version IO Sig., also found his IO pushing the tubes quite hard. So, you may want to experiment with less expensive vintage tubes before committing with something like the Telefunken.

Actually, I would be very interested to see if any member with the technical expertise can check on the voltage / bias of the IO to confirm whether it exceeded (or close to the limits) the spec. for vintage tubes.

If you are looking for the warmer (compared to Telefunken at least) kind of sound, you may want to try out the reissue Gold Lion, which seems to be quite rugged.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for that report!

At this point I am trying to solve for lowest noise from the gain stages of the Io.

(Yes, Kedar, I have conceded I have to tube "roll.")

thekong

May 10, 2012
Hi Ron, I would suggest you tried out the stock tubes first to see whether they fit you system / taste. I may be in the minority here, but I don't believe vintage tubes are inherently better than current production tubes. Rather, matching to the system is the key.

If I am not using the Callisto, I would be more than happy using stock tubes in the IO. As mentioned before, only because the Callisto / IO combo was a bit too warm sounding to my liking that I wanted to find tubes with cooler, airier, characteristics.

RedSectorA

Feb 19, 2014
Hi Ron, I would suggest you tried out the stock tubes first to see whether they fit you system / taste. I may be in the minority here, but I don't believe vintage tubes are inherently better than current production tubes. Rather, matching to the system is the key.

If I am not using the Callisto, I would be more than happy using stock tubes in the IO. As mentioned before, only because the Callisto / IO combo was a bit too warm sounding to my liking that I wanted to find tubes with cooler, airier, characteristics.

I too run my Io with Aesthetix's tubes. Tried rolling tubes in the past and wasn't to my liking, sound was a little too lush for me and I too found it less airy . Also had some issues with vintage tubes from a reputable source. Aesthetix tubes have been stellar so far so why change :)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for chiming in, RedSectorA.

What cartridge are you using?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing