Jcat launches the new, 'Femto' USB card

Marcin_gps

VIP Donor/Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
@Marcin: did you compared this card with the PPA usb cards? I believe V3 and V4 use an OXCO clock, would this one be better?

Yes, there are at least 3 customers who claim the JCAT USB Card FEMTO is superior. You may find some comments on JCAT and Computer Audiophile forums.

Regards,
Marcin

Marcin_gps

Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
Sorry guys, I was working triple shifts for the last 3 months.

When I first booked in to cover AVS 2016, I had no idea what to expect from it. Now that I’ve been there and done that, I can say with confidence that Poland’s Audio Video Show is poised to become one of the largest and most influential hi-fi events in the world. It has great organization, and insofar as the National Stadium goes, an incredible location. Come in 2017 and see if you agree. I think we’re coming back with a bigger team!

Doug Schneider
Founder, SoundStage!

http://www.soundstageglobal.com/ind...tional-stadium-hi-fi-s-best-ever-show-setting

This is the first Warsaw that we at Hifi Pig have attended but we’re so happy we made the effort because it has been undoubtedly one of the best, if not THE best we’ve been to. The people of Warsaw have been wonderfully welcoming, the food and drink has been spectacularly good and the company we’ve enjoyed has been marvellous.

http://hifipig.com/audio-video-show-2016-warsaw/

More to follow.

Adam, congratulations - you did it again! :)
BTW - please post some impressions on the JCAT USB Card FEMTO and the JCAT USB Isolator here &/or on CA when you find some time for listening, eventually ;)

Cheers,
Marcin

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I received my new JCAT 2 card, replacing my JCAT 1.1 card.

I am just beginning my comparisons. Haven't had much time since I received it but will be comparing to the 1.1 card as well as compared to microRendu with LPS-1 power supply. My ZUMA CAPS is being powered by a Core Audio dual rail LPS. The DAC I am using is an MSD Diamond V with their QUAD USB card.

My initial impressions on the card are very favorable. I need more time to do my comparisons and will post. So far very happy.

elescher

Member Sponsor
Sep 12, 2010
New York
Please let us know how the new Jcat sounds powered by the LPS-1 as well. I just got my LPS-1 today and have had the new Jcat for a couple weeks now, but my system has been OOC due to a couple upgrades being done. I also got a dual pair of Rythmik F12 subs delivered today to go with my Vivid G2's.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Spent many hours last night listening to some familiar stuff. No A vs. B as yet HOWEVER I am extremely impressed. I know my system very well which consists of MSB V -->REF10-->GS150-->Nola Concert Grand Gold all with Valhalla V2 interconnects and speaker cables with SAIN LINE power cords and Silver Circle Audio 5.0. My computer is a CAPS ZUMA which NOW has the JCAT V2 with Core Audio Technologies Kaia dual rail LPS powering the MOBO and JCAT.

The testament to my system is that, with the exception of upgrading the DAC from the Diamond Plus IV to the V and my REF75 to the GS150 it has pretty much been stable for more than 4 years, soon to be 5. I know this system like the back of my hand and can differentiate small nuances. I also must add it is the best system I have ever heard (not flaming others just my preference) as it meets my ultimate criteria of accuracy, transparency and that amazing ability to transport you to the venue.

So far the biggest difference between the two cards has been, if there was any weakness in my system with it's incredible holographic image the system generated there was very slight distortion, with middle (front to back) and side to side, being slightly out of proportion in size (in photo terms, very slight pincushion distortion despite, IMHO, being much better than any other system I have heard or owned) but now it is dead on accurate. Absolutely zero distortion or bloat and amazingly real, more than I realized was even capable. I haven't listened to all my "test" music but timbre is better than ever. Listened to a lot of Avishai Cohen last night and was just mesmerized like I have never been. Articulation of bass and strings was the best I have heard from my system. My system is not one of those overly resolving systems, that IMHO is unnatural, usually the result of a distorted spectrum which I find fatiguing (I have owned these types of systems in the past as well as listened to many of them and will leave names out to protect the innocent and those who prefer it), however, it resolved better than I have ever heard resolve during my session last night. While a good system should both allow for appropriate coalescence of the performers (assuming it is that type of venue) as well as space surrounding each performer, again, this new card, does what I didn't think could be improved in my system and improves both.

I am just beginning on the quest of comparison, but I know my system, probably won't be driving myself crazy with comparisons as it is doing what was already things done very right and now even better.

I am very happy with the card and probably will be putting my microRendu and likely LPS-1 up for sale shortly. The card has been running now for more than week straight and looking forward to more listening.

I will report back but am very happy to say the least with my preliminary impressions.

Reactions: Felipe Rolim

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Thanks for feedback. Pls try it with the LPS-1 PSU. I should get mine within a week (it has been sitting at customs for the past week or so).

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Who makes the LPS-1 power supply? Uptone?

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Who makes the LPS-1 power supply? Uptone?

Yes a very reasonably priced and very flexible linear power supply which is a great add on to the JCAT card if looking for a reasonably priced linear power supply. I haven't tried mine yet, which I will do soon, as I am using a much more expensive LPS (not saying it's better) Core Audio Kaia for both the MOBO and JCAT card. I will try it over next week and report back.

If you decide on the Uptone my understanding, like their other products, there is a wait to get one.

I am still loving my JCAT V2 and will give some more impressions when I get some time to do comparisons.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Yes a very reasonably priced and very flexible linear power supply which is a great add on to the JCAT card if looking for a reasonably priced linear power supply. I haven't tried mine yet, which I will do soon, as I am using a much more expensive LPS (not saying it's better) Core Audio Kaia for both the MOBO and JCAT card. I will try it over next week and report back.

If you decide on the Uptone my understanding, like their other products, there is a wait to get one.

I am still loving my JCAT V2 and will give some more impressions when I get some time to do comparisons.

I have been using a Channel Island Audio VDC-5 to power my JCAT v1.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I have been using a Channel Island Audio VDC-5 to power my JCAT v1.

So you are kind of like me in that you already have a very good LPS. I bought the LPS-1 to go with the microRendu which I thought was going to replace my JCAT v1. However, based on the performance I am getting from my CAPS with JCAT V2, it is very likely both the LPS-1 and microRendu will be going up for sale.

Felipe Rolim

May 23, 2017
Brazil
I will post my impressions in a couple of days. I didn't have the time to compare both cards, and since I have also changed back from Win 10 + AO to Win 2012 + AO when installing the new card (BIG improvement over the Win 10; I have only installed Win 10 to try Roon) I need a couple of days to get used to a new base line.

All I can say for now - my system never sounded better.

Hello Elberoth. I'm new in the forum and really interested in your impressions. I use a computer with Win 10 + CAD scripts. Is the change to Server 2012 + AO really significant? What software is used?

Another question: does anyone compared JCAT v2 with the SOtM tx-USBexp with sCLK-48.0 clock?

Thank you!!!

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
Hello Elberoth. I'm new in the forum and really interested in your impressions. I use a computer with Win 10 + CAD scripts. Is the change to Server 2012 + AO really significant? What software is used?

Another question: does anyone compared JCAT v2 with the SOtM tx-USBexp with sCLK-48.0 clock?

Thank you!!!

Despite not being Elberoth, I have tested win10 and would go with windows server 2016 (the femtocard works under ws2016 as well). IMHO ws2016+AO scripts is the clear winner.

JCAT USB Card FEMTO gets a free update to ver. 2.0

https://jcat.eu/usb-card-femto-gets-a-free-update-to-ver-2-0/

Great news! Can't wait till I got my system up and running again (thanks to the wonderful service of HDPlex that should be soon :) )

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
Wow, just wow .I flashed the firmware on the JCAT usbcard on Thursday, spend the whole day listening yesterday and still am very impressed today. Unbelievable, but this new firmware elevates my system to new heights.

@Marcin_gps : I power the JCAT card with an external lpsu, should I remove all jumpers for the best SQ?

Reactions: Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
Wow, just wow .I flashed the firmware on the JCAT usbcard on Thursday, spend the whole day listening yesterday and still am very impressed today. Unbelievable, but this new firmware elevates my system to new heights.

@Marcin_gps : I power the JCAT card with an external lpsu, should I remove all jumpers for the best SQ?

Good to hear - enjoy :)
If your USB DAC does not use 5V via USB ports then you can remove all jumpers from the card for best performance.

Regards,
Marcin

Reactions: RubenV.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Thanks just dpwnloaded and installed. Not reallybsure yet which is the 1 port

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Dont have time to test tonight . I loaded 1 port. However I have no idea how to know what is the primary port, outside one sounds better than the other.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing