Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jcat launches the new, 'Femto' USB card

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    Good news for those of us are running PCIe/USB cards.

Jcat has just launched their new card, that uses superior, ultra low nosie crystal oscillator (XO or just clock), chance the name 'Femto' (from the amout of jitter the XO has, measured in femto seconds).

Attachment 28952

The card uses the excellent Crystek CCHD-957 XO, which can be found in Berkeley Audio Designs products and many other, top end DACs.

This clock is very expensive at $30 in OEM pricing, which is many times the price of the regular XO used in most of the DACs (common XO cost more like $1-$5), but its specs speak for themselves. The Crystek XO features a typical low close-in phase noise of -100 dBc/Hz @ 10 Hz offset, and a noise floor of -169 dBc/Hz. That is super clock teritory.

The Crystek Femto Clock which is located just a few millimeters away from the USB controller chip, which is powered by a dedicated ultra-low noise linear regulator for maximum performance.

The whole power regulation has been redesigned as well. In the previous revision of the JCAT USB Card, the USB controller’s digital core 1V power was supplied from the PC via PCI Express lane. The card was redesigned so that all internal circuits are powered by ultra-low noise linear regulators exclusively, if any 5V power supply is connected (either external or internal).

Attachment 28953

I have one already on order and should have it around Tuesday.
    So, after all the nonsense posted by some here, Adam, do you have any input into how good this card is as I know you replaced the old JCAT card with this one. I too have the old one and may replace it with this one.

I value your opinion so please post when you have an update.

Thanks
    Howie

Maybe I'm missing something on what this device is meant to do but if someone is using a DAC that has Asyc USB which uses the DAC's internal Clock..etc then what value does the use of this type of card contribute? Isnt one of the main reasons for Async USB implementation on a DAC so that the source USB Output is not a concern?
    Music is the brandy of the damned - George Bernard Shaw

My Audio System Link

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by cjf View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something on what this device is meant to do but if someone is using a DAC that has Asyc USB which uses the DAC's internal Clock..etc then what value does the use of this type of card contribute? Isnt one of the main reasons for Async USB implementation on a DAC so that the source USB Output is not a concern?
    Good question. I would like to hear the answer as well.

Additionally, I have an MSB Diamond V which has a QUAD USB/PROI2S board that supposedly buffers the data and clocks to the board "supposedly" isolating however it is being fed the data yet I hear clear differences between the (1st gen) JCAT card and those that preceded it as well as the Light Harmonics USB cable as well as JRiver versus Roon

Quote Originally Posted by Priaptor View Post
    Good question. I would like to hear the answer as well.

Additionally, I have an MSB Diamond V which has a QUAD USB/PROI2S board that supposedly buffers the data and clocks to the board "supposedly" isolating however it is being fed the data yet I hear clear differences between the (1st gen) JCAT card and those that preceded it as well as the Light Harmonics USB cable as well as JRiver versus Roon
    Exactly. Even with Async USB DACs differences in sound between various computer based transports are obvious.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! Elberoth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Priaptor View Post
    So, after all the nonsense posted by some here, Adam, do you have any input into how good this card is as I know you replaced the old JCAT card with this one. I too have the old one and may replace it with this one.

I value your opinion so please post when you have an update.

Thanks
    Howie
    I will post my impressions in a couple of days. I didn't have the time to compare both cards, and since I have also changed back from Win 10 + AO to Win 2012 + AO when installing the new card (BIG improvement over the Win 10; I have only installed Win 10 to try Roon) I need a couple of days to get used to a new base line.

All I can say for now - my system never sounded better.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: MSB M202 / D'Agostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Golden Gate DSD only + Lampi DSD Komputer server
    Cables: AudioQuest WEL Signature IC / Shunyata Anaconda Z-Tron SC

Adam, any updated impressions?
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Basis 2200 Signature with Calibration Base, Vector 4 Tonearm, Lyra Etna SL; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC, Oppo BDP-105;

@Marcin: did you compared this card with the PPA usb cards? I believe V3 and V4 use an OXCO clock, would this one be better?

Quote Originally Posted by dminches View Post
    Adam, any updated impressions?
    Dont look for any reply from Adam for at least a week. The poor fellow must be totally exhausted after the massive show.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Dont look for any reply from Adam for at least a week. The poor fellow must be totally exhausted after the massive show.
    What show?
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Basis 2200 Signature with Calibration Base, Vector 4 Tonearm, Lyra Etna SL; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC, Oppo BDP-105;

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! Elberoth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dminches View Post
    What show?
    Sorry guys, I was working triple shifts for the last 3 months.

When I first booked in to cover AVS 2016, I had no idea what to expect from it. Now that I’ve been there and done that, I can say with confidence that Poland’s Audio Video Show is poised to become one of the largest and most influential hi-fi events in the world. It has great organization, and insofar as the National Stadium goes, an incredible location. Come in 2017 and see if you agree. I think we’re coming back with a bigger team!

Doug Schneider
    Founder, SoundStage!

http://www.soundstageglobal.com/inde...r-show-setting

This is the first Warsaw that we at Hifi Pig have attended but we’re so happy we made the effort because it has been undoubtedly one of the best, if not THE best we’ve been to. The people of Warsaw have been wonderfully welcoming, the food and drink has been spectacularly good and the company we’ve enjoyed has been marvellous.

http://hifipig.com/audio-video-show-2016-warsaw/

More to follow.
    Last edited by Elberoth; 11-07-2016 at 07:34 PM.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: MSB M202 / D'Agostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Golden Gate DSD only + Lampi DSD Komputer server
    Cables: AudioQuest WEL Signature IC / Shunyata Anaconda Z-Tron SC

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast