Adding Second input for Phono?

Ron2112

May 19, 2016
I have a Horning Sati phono pre (kinda a rare bird, not much info actually not any, out there) which only has one input. The "operation" seem quite simple basically a double pole switch and extra set of RCA inputs (matching existing). Are there any other considerations? Or is it just that simple?
The only thought I have on this is signal degradation adding an extra component (switch) in the signal path.
So.. Not necessarily written in stone as a second phono altogether is also an option..

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
At one time I had 4 arms and my phonostage had only one MC and one MM input. I used a 47 Labs switcher to good effect. Just be mindful of the IC cable characteristics especially into MM.

Ron2112

May 19, 2016
What would a 47 labs run me..
I've become pretty minimalistic with my system, in terms of signal path though, and likely would opt for a second phono.
Probably get another h3000v (second favourite to the Sati) or Vac is currently developing a phono a little more conducive to a drywallers pay scale...
I was more wondering I guess if there were concerns in adding a double pole switch and which would be the best one?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I suppose if you had the will and the way to punch 4 holes in the Sati and space inside to wire them up it's definitely doable. Personally I was too scared that I might mess up my phonostage so I went with an external switch and just used identical ICs. I honestly don't remember what I paid for the unit. All I know is that it didn't sting. I believe Mullard88 has one as well. Maybe he remembers. In any case it appears that it isn't made anymore. My thinking is that perhaps one could DIY an external switchbox. That way there's no risk of damaging the phonostage.

Ron2112

May 19, 2016
Be pretty easy in my instance as I do a bit of fabricating/machining in another hobby...
Basically pop the back plate off and use a drill press, there is plenty of room in terms of a factory looking location.
It's almost as if the back plate and internals were designed for such a modification including switch location but never followed through.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
You could do it, one thing beyond the switch and extra wires to keep in mind is that the load for the second input will be in parallel with what ever you've decided to install for the first input.

Good luck

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Be pretty easy in my instance as I do a bit of fabricating/machining in another hobby...
Basically pop the back plate off and use a drill press, there is plenty of room in terms of a factory looking location.
It's almost as if the back plate and internals were designed for such a modification including switch location but never followed through.

Hi, which Turntable, arm, and cartridge are you using? Have you heard the Horning Sati TT? read good reviews about it.

Ron2112

May 19, 2016
Hi, which Turntable, arm, and cartridge are you using? Have you heard the Horning Sati TT? read good reviews about it.

I have a Kodo The Beat, Reed3P and Transfiguration Pheonix S..... And yes I pretty much bought the Koolaid I've also the Horning Sati 520b as well as the Horning Agalme Statements...
The TT is a pretty tempting offer but I just got "The Beat" in a custom Deep Metallic Kandy Cherrie. I'm actually quite pleased with my system as it really shines with metal/rock and live concerts....it also does well with Dire Straites and Dianna Krall too but just not my "cup-o-tea"
To be honest I rarely look at gear anymore other than tubes , arms and cartridges...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing