Dirac with JRiver and EMM DAC

michael123

Nov 17, 2011
Hello

I am evaluating Dirac package, opened a ticket with their support, but it is somewhat slow..

Setup:
Windows 10, running JRiver 21 output going to EMM XDS1 via USB (ASIO)

With UMIK-1 created filter, saved it and also the project.

Then set the output device to WASAPI-based Dirac Processor (aka virtual sound card), and the sound came very distorted.
When trying to load generated filter, get a generic error 'cannot load filter' without any kind of specifics (what, why?)

Then just switch off the filters using slider in the processor panel, but still the sound was distorted

In processor panel the output device is set to same ASIO Meitner Audio

Any clue?

prerich

May 21, 2012
Yes

JRiver -> Dirac -> Meitner sounds distorted, even with filters off
Sounds like a driver issue to me. I had the same problem with a DIY dac. I had to hunt for a decent driver (took 2 months to find one - as it was a Chinese Dac that I was experimenting with). However after I found the right driver, Gold!!!

Which version of JRiver do you have (do you have a master license for Linux, Mac, and PC)? If you have a linux machine around - you may want to experiment with it since Linux supports USB Audio 2.0 without the need of drivers.

Does it work properly without Dirac?

michael123

Nov 17, 2011
Yes, of course it works perfectly direct from Jriver. It is not a driver issue, but related ro Dirac. Moreover, Dirac managed to generate sweep tones.

I have read on computer audiophile that there is a VST module (like FabFilter), but I don't know where to get it

Fitzcaraldo215

Nov 3, 2014
Yes, of course it works perfectly direct from Jriver. It is not a driver issue, but related ro Dirac. Moreover, Dirac managed to generate sweep tones.

I have read on computer audiophile that there is a VST module (like FabFilter), but I don't know where to get it

The Dirac VST plugin is unsupported Beta software available only from Dirac upon request. It is not available during the 30-day evaluation. Actually, I do not think it is available with the Stereo license to Dirac, only the "full" 8-channel version. But, I use it and I know Kal uses it. I like it, but I would not swear that it makes any sonic difference vs. using the separate DAP software. It is more of a convenience, eliminating some connectivity issues.

I agree with others here. It sounds like the OP has a driver issue in conjunction with Dirac. I have not had that experience with the ASIO driver to my Exasound E28 with DAP or with the VST plugin to JRiver using Win7Pro.

michael123

Nov 17, 2011
I am confused, what can I do?
Dirac did not respond so far to my inquery.

EMM is USB Audio 2.0 device, never had any issue with either foobar or Jriver

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
dirac should have a section where you can set the amount of attenuation it uses to avoid digital clipping , check that it's at least -6db ..-10 is default , if its at 0 , its going to generate digital clipping , very nasty distortion
Also check that your measurement i/o levels are correct
Also .. check this
For Windows users: If available, the preferred choice should be an ASIO device. If
ASIO is not available, or if it sounds distorted, then try a non-ASIO device (the same
hardware can show up as multiple devices, depending on what
audio interfaces its driver supports).

michael123

Nov 17, 2011
Yes, I've checked and played with the attenuation last week, it is -8db, however the filters are OFF anyway, so Dirac should not do any processing, but rather passthrough

It is ASIO, checked also with WASAPI.. No much difference.. ASIO was OK when measuring, though

The sound is not just distorted, it is like the very poor cellular connection

Is it a big company, Dirac? Wonder why these guys gave me their first response from the helpdesk after couple of days, and now it is 3 days since I haven't heard a word from them

I would try a VST

michael123

Nov 17, 2011
Guys,

do you have maybe Dirac's phone number?
I could not find anything on their website, neither on the LinkedIn page

:-(

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Check that there is no sampling rate mismatch....

michael123

Nov 17, 2011
That might be the direction: but I thought this is done automatically, what do I need to check (and where?)

Appreciate your help (as Dirac still did not respond)

Thanks!

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
That might be the direction: but I thought this is done automatically, what do I need to check (and where?)

Appreciate your help (as Dirac still did not respond)

Thanks!

It is automatic IF you have made filters for all the sampling rates you use.

michael123

Nov 17, 2011
Does it work on Windows 10 64-bit?

I read here
www.dirac.com/system-requirements-technical-specifications

Windows 10 is not listed :-(

michael123

Nov 17, 2011
I set the default device to DAP and output device to KS away from ASIO and distortion gone.

Now I am after a second problem - cannot load a filter.
I re-measured again, saved everything without any error

Attachments

• Failed to load filter.png
    Failed to load filter.png
    56.6 KB · Views: 130

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing