Biggest Waves Ever Surfed - Nazare portugal

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
You want to shrink your danglers way up inside, find this movie and watch it, the sickest wave on the planet.
These waves get huge but the barrel is usually just big enough to stand in. some times the lip of the wave is 15 feet thick or more. Sick Sick Sick wave.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I got trapped in the wave/video. Quite impressive. ...Hundred feet, wow.

In the 70s I got trapped in a wave, in El Salvador's coast. A small wave...30 feet or so. I was rescued by two other surfers....Americans.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Those are Real Humans [female & male]; unlike those Baseball, Basketball, Football, F1, Nascar, etc. pretenders of greatness.

zz.

..so, only surfers embody greatness...uh ok

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I'm in my third anniversary later this month of learning how to stand up surf on a SUP board in Santa Cruz. I was 63 when I first caught a wave standing.

The most I have done so far is overhead (the first one, I looked over my shoulder and saw the wave was over my head) and the first one scared the crap out of me. An overhead is a standard, non challenging wave for most experienced surfers. Those in the videos are unimaginable.

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I'm in my third anniversary later this month of learning how to stand up surf on a SUP board in Santa Cruz. I was 63 when I first caught a wave standing.

The most I have done so far is overhead (the first one, I looked over my shoulder and saw the wave was over my head) and the first one scared the crap out of me. An overhead is a standard, non challenging wave for most experienced surfers. Those in the videos are unimaginable.

Don't kid your self, over head is a big wave and can kill you if you are not paying attention.
That is an awesome achievement and you must respect the ocean at all times.
The biggest I have ever paddled out in is about 25 to 30 feet storm surf in Newport Beach. To give scale the waves were breaking over the top of the Pier. I lost my board that day and damn near my life, but it was freekin amazing!
I will say however my last wave I was not paying the proper respect and attention and I turned to drop in and I was 20 feet above the rock jetty hauling ass to certain death, my survival instincts took over and I bailed on the wave, did everything I thought I could do to not be pummeled on the rocks and eventually just balled up and covered my head and waited...and waited. After a bit in the rinse cycle I came up for air and the jetty was right next to my head and my board was broken in half.
I got out, crossed my self and sat on the sand and gathered my marbels and went home.
Those waves were so powerful they were shaking the ground.
The best ever was about 15 to 20 at Trails, sunny day waves as smooth as glass at sunrise, epic session!

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The videos of the Wedge at Newport look scary, just a straight slam of a huge wave onto the beach with the rocks at the side.

I'm no hero, and I will not consciously go into an overhead. If overheads are steep drops, closeouts, or go hollow rapidly, yeah, they can be dangerous. Some are like big hills of water, and if you can keep ahead on the face, they can be almost OK, but I will stick to the 3-6 footers and if anything even looks that big, I will avoid it. The couple I actually managed to surf were surprises and they were all a lot too frightening for this old dude.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
The Wedge is gnarly to the extreme when it's going off and extremely localized by arrogant idiots. Good place to get hurt by those knuckleheads forcing you into dangerous situations.
But that wave is insane when the backwash sucks out and that swell doubles and triples in size in a second.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing