What contributes most to 3-Dimensionality of sound systems deliver?

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
* I like the sound of a cello playing in my room; it fits with my walls and ceiling. It's 3D.
A piano is tougher...I find.
And there's a reason for that ... we have an over 20 year old Yamaha electronic keyboard in the house, the great, great grandfather of the Motif model that's around now. Does everything, lots of keys, was the best sounding unit around back when we bought it new.

But the piano sound when switched on from cold is awful - the samples were taken from Yamaha's best acoustic piano - it's effectively a DAC, amplifier, speakers playing digital recordings of pure piano notes; and initially displays severe digititus, ;). From experience I know I have to keep the unit cooking for a day or two, running 24/7 - eventually it fully stabilises, and one gets high quality piano, easily good enough to fool someone.

I'm just mentioning this because literally yesterday I turned it back on again after a long hibernation - yes, same dreadful piano sound on start up, as always; will need a long "burn in" session, yet again :rolleyes:. It's steadily improving as I write - what we use it for is to feed it a huge playlist of MIDI files, all solo classical piano stuff, Chopin, etc - it becomes a resident pianist playing a decent instrument, filling the house with good vibes. But this won't work if the sound is mediocre, hence the need to opimise - it must be able to run at realistic volumes, and sound good doing this. In particular, when below par the transient attack is not there as per the real thing, and the tone of the high treble notes is way off the mark; just, small, flat sound - pretty horrible, really ...

But when fully in the groove it punches out a big, full impact piano sound, easily filling the room with intense richness. The point? That this is Yet Another System that needs careful nurturing to get the best out of it - it's the same story, over and over again.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
On what basis do you say that?

Because you will not be able to play good quality LPs in MCH. Digital has its limitations. And tough to get asymmetrical panels in MCH and exorbitant to get 5 large horns in MCH. Quality of preamplification or amplification is not as high or diverse. Most of the electronics I would use for MCH, I would use for their processing ability. I would never use them for sound in an uncorrected 2 ch system

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
Because you will not be able to play good quality LPs in MCH. Digital has its limitations. And tough to get asymmetrical panels in MCH and exorbitant to get 5 large horns in MCH. Quality of preamplification or amplification is not as high or diverse. Most of the electronics I would use for MCH, I would use for their processing ability. I would never use them for sound in an uncorrected 2 ch system

The "holy grail" of MCH is to find a pre-amp that sounds just as good in 2 CH as it does in MCH. My Marantz 7702 does not do 2 CH very well but my 10 year old Sunfire TG3 sounds great in 2 CH. However the Sunfire dedicated 2 CH Classic Tube Pre-Amp does 2 channel even better. I moved the Sunfire TG3 unit to my desktop system and now use it primarily for 2CH but still keep my eye out for the Classic Tube Pre-amp on Craigslist.

BTW, the Carver AV-505 amp sounds great on 2 channel but of course I would prefer a 2 channel Lightstar. The topic of this thread is 3D sound. Yes, I get great SQ from my 2 channel system and those JBL 230's image wonderfully. But for 3D soundstage you can't compare to the MCH Auro setup. If there is a 2 channel system that can create a similar 3D image it has to cost a LOT more. A 3D image from Auro 3D is like following a recipe, get 10 speakers of the same type, full range as possible, connect a processor, amp, and a source and you are pretty much guaranteed a great 3D image. As you can tell from dedicated two channel hobbyists the 3D image is elusive and must be pursued, experimented with, tweaked, upgraded, etc. The fact that the MBL system that started this thread costs 6 figures lets you know just how finnicky getting 3D from 2 speakers can be, I am not talking SQ but a true, life like 3D image. You can get good SQ from a pair of headphones these days.

WP_20160828_003.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20160828_004.jpg
    WP_20160828_004.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 106
Last edited:

KlausR.

Dec 13, 2010
You brought an excellent point though; the reverberations, or reflections captured in the music recording themselves...the ones captured live in concert halls or other live venues. We certainly don't want the listening room adding up more unnecessary reflections to the reproduction of our music recordings.

The problem I see here is that in the performance venue the reflections come from certain directions, with certain delays and levels, reverberation comes from all over the place. Once you record all this and play the recording through 2-channel stereo, all of the above comes from the same direction, i.e. the loudspeaker, so all of the directional cues are lost. The original apparent source width is gone and listener envelopment is no longer present. Forward firing loudspeaker radiate sound in a very different manner as compared to real musical instruments, so there’s another bunch of directional cues that’s gone.

Does the listening rooms add unnecessary reflections? Unnecessary implicitly means disturbing, yet I could no find any evidence at all in the technical/scientific literature that in a 2-channel setup, when playing music, reflections are disturbing as a matter of principle, i.e. in each and every case. Absolute perception thresholds of reflections have been determined, which means that a change has been noticed, either in timbre or soundstage. So yes, reflections at or above perception thresholds do disturb. However, the respective research has examined only single reflections, not the whole set of reflections from walls, floor and ceiling. The respective research has used a single loudspeaker as source for direct sound, not 2-channel setups. The perception threshold for a single lateral reflection when playing music through a single loudspeaker in an anechoic chamber is known, but what is the threshold of the pair of right/left wall reflections in a small listening room with the full set of reflections and reverberation?

As for the question asked in the opening post, in my view it would necessary to first determine which elements of the sound field are responsible for soundstage and 3-dimensionality and to then look at what influence, if any, the different components of the 2-channel system have on those elements.

Klaus

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The "holy grail" of MCH is to find a pre-amp that sounds just as good in 2 CH as it does in MCH. My Marantz 7702 does not do 2 CH very well but my 10 year old Sunfire TG3 sounds great in 2 CH. However the Sunfire dedicated 2 CH Classic Tube Pre-Amp does 2 channel even better. I moved the Sunfire TG3 unit to my desktop system and now use it primarily for 2CH but still keep my eye out for the Classic Tube Pre-amp on Craigslist.

Although a dead product (MCH analog preamp) category, I agree - MCH analog pre is a big factor on MCH SQ. I rotated through quite a few (a lifetime ago), and the best I found was the Theta Six Shooter. Right now, I have a hybrid system, running my mains through a 2 channel tube preamp (PS audio) and the other channels DAC direct. I 2 channel mode, I set digital level out to 100 and use my preamp for volume control. I MCH mode, I set my preamp to unity gain (active) and use downstream digital volume control.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
Although a dead product (MCH analog preamp) category, I agree - MCH analog pre is a big factor on MCH SQ. I rotated through quite a few (a lifetime ago), and the best I found was the Theta Six Shooter. Right now, I have a hybrid system, running my mains through a 2 channel tube preamp (PS audio) and the other channels DAC direct. I 2 channel mode, I set digital level out to 100 and use my preamp for volume control. I MCH mode, I set my preamp to unity gain (active) and use downstream digital volume control.

I tried a hybrid system for a while but you need patience to switch between 2 CH and MCH everytime you want to change it up. What type of DAC are you using?

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
A 3D image from Auro 3D is like following a recipe, get 10 speakers of the same type, full range as possible, connect a processor, amp, and a source and you are pretty much guaranteed a great 3D image. As you can tell from dedicated two channel hobbyists the 3D image is elusive and must be pursued, experimented with, tweaked, upgraded, etc. The fact that the MBL system that started this thread costs 6 figures lets you know just how finnicky getting 3D from 2 speakers can be, I am not talking SQ but a true, life like 3D image. You can get good SQ from a pair of headphones these days.
I would largely agree, but note that the expense does not have to be great. Almost all 2ch systems could deliver 3D, even cheap ones, but at the moment the understanding is almost completely absent on how to make it happen; hence the current OTT solutions which throw everything and the kitchen sink at solving it. This is just a matter of progress; eventually even very ordinary setups, off the shelf, will be good enough - because the manufacturers will know what's critically important, and solid engineering of the products will make them perform up to standard, every time.

Last edited:

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
I would largely agree, but note that the expense does not have to be great. Always all 2ch systems could deliver 3D, even cheap ones, but at the moment the understanding is almost completely absent on how to make it happen; hence the current OTT solutions which throw everything and the kitchen sink at solving it. This is just a matter of progress; eventually even very ordinary setups, off the shelf, will be good enough - because the manufacturers will know what's critically important, and solid engineering of the products will make them perform up to standard, every time.

I think the industry is starting to go in that direction of a self contained, well engineered solution that combines the simplicity of plug and play with the SQ of the high end. If I were shopping two channel today that is the area that I would want to investigate first. It takes all the finnickyness of matching components away from the user and leaves it to the engineers. Something like this:

https://ecliving.electrocompaniet.no/?lang=en

this:
http://en.devialet.com/phantom#discover

or this:

http://www.dynaudio.com/home-audio/focus-xd/

Interesting how all of these companies are based in Europe.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Interesting you mention Dynaudio! :p ... Because, in the last audio show I visited they had a demo of their then current wireless, all-in-one box - and, it was truly awful! It had everything wrong about it, that gives hifi a bad name, at the moment when I was listening. The fact that in a nearby room one of their best speakers, hooked up to prime quality, other brand gear, was producing some of the best sound I had ever heard just put this fact into even sharper contrast ... !

So, the manufacturers are still stumbling around, trying to nail everything - it's not easy, I appreciate this, so perhaps the best advice is to wait a bit longer until the consistency is there.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The problem I see here is that in the performance venue the reflections come from certain directions, with certain delays and levels, reverberation comes from all over the place. Once you record all this and play the recording through 2-channel stereo, all of the above comes from the same direction, i.e. the loudspeaker, so all of the directional cues are lost. The original apparent source width is gone and listener envelopment is no longer present. Forward firing loudspeaker radiate sound in a very different manner as compared to real musical instruments, so there’s another bunch of directional cues that’s gone.

Does the listening rooms add unnecessary reflections? Unnecessary implicitly means disturbing, yet I could no find any evidence at all in the technical/scientific literature that in a 2-channel setup, when playing music, reflections are disturbing as a matter of principle, i.e. in each and every case. Absolute perception thresholds of reflections have been determined, which means that a change has been noticed, either in timbre or soundstage. So yes, reflections at or above perception thresholds do disturb. However, the respective research has examined only single reflections, not the whole set of reflections from walls, floor and ceiling. The respective research has used a single loudspeaker as source for direct sound, not 2-channel setups. The perception threshold for a single lateral reflection when playing music through a single loudspeaker in an anechoic chamber is known, but what is the threshold of the pair of right/left wall reflections in a small listening room with the full set of reflections and reverberation?

As for the question asked in the opening post, in my view it would necessary to first determine which elements of the sound field are responsible for soundstage and 3-dimensionality and to then look at what influence, if any, the different components of the 2-channel system have on those elements.

Klaus

Hi Klaus,

I have read your post with great interest very early this morning. You bring important points that some professional mastering recording music engineers with an acoustic science education background would have a better grasp than most people.
The first post of this thread mentioned a 360° mechanical/electrical sound reproducer; the MBL 101 X-Treme loudspeaker system. And the OP's experience was the most 3-dimensional sound he has ever experienced in his life. That 360° dispersion is the main contributor for that 3D holographic sound illusion, plus the integrated room acoustics with it.
He asked us what we think contributes the most to that 3D effect.
I replied with few options; one being the recording itself...2-channel stereo recording. ...But the example I supplied used QSound. And there is also Ambisonic recordings.

Now, if say we take a classical music recording from Prof. Keith O. Johnson of the Reference Recordings music record label...stereo on CD, with the ambiance of the concert hall recorded on his master, and play it in our acoustically treated room; the clues (ambiance hall) coming from the front soundstage will be perceived by our brain, and distributed in our room around our ears. Sound do travel and envelop us, and that sound, even coming from directly in front of us, do travel on the speaker side walls, behind, and bouncing off from any reflective surfaces...side walls, ceiling, floor, front and back walls. The off-axis dispersion if close to the on-axis one (say up to 75-90°) will contribute to the 3D imaging, holographic sound. The electrical phase also plays an important role on that aspect...coherence of all sounds arrival. ...The tuning port, the x-over slopes, the frequencies chosen.

And that hall ambiance recorded on the recording will transmit well into our brain as if we were in that hall. ...Natural ambiance, no processing, no DSP, no mixing control effect of any sort. ...And no loss of dynamics and harmonics. That would be a quality music recording executed by only the best music recording engineers in the business.
There is no escaping on the importance of a balanced room's acoustics. ...First, secondary reflections.
...And the bass, the frequencies @ which the room axial modes are excited and suppressed. Depending of the room's dimensions, it can roughly vary from say 10Hz to 200Hz.
I don't know how exactly they balance the bass towers from the MBL 101 X-Treme system; but I'm sure it has to do with judicial positioning, measurements, and probably parametric equalization @ the very least.

I am not an expert, just interested in the best 3D illusion from stereo music recordings.
Also, a full classical orchestral music recording is impossible to recreate @ realistic live levels...classical chamber music, small acoustic jazz ensemble are more feasible for our limited speaker's systems in our rooms...even from larger ones...full range. A full orchestra with 121 musicians recorded on a LP album...I have never heard one that can do justice. ...Better on CD or SACD for that...IMO and experience. And multichannel is a great 3D alternative. Say 5.1-channels all discrete channels and all hi-res audio...each one of them.

On the other hand, a cold and clinical studio music recording will live or die from the mixing console @ the expertise of its mixing operator's hands (recording engineer).
It is not natural.

It is my profound belief that each music recording, even each song from the same album has its own matching audio gear's set of adjustments. I believe in the precise correct master volume level of our preamp for each music recording in our room's dimension.
Furthermore, I believe in speakers better matched for some specific music recordings. And I already know that most (majority) of readers here will disagree with me, and that's fine as we live among an intelligent group of people who respect democracy, free expression, and with an open mind towards unknown discoveries. ...Out of the conventional.

There are many types of 3-dimensionality from the sounds of music in our homes. Many systems optimized in the rooms will give more or less some of those variances.
But the music recordings always remain number one in that overall best 3D illusion, quality recordings done expertly/intelligently by only the best experience music recording engineers. Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, ...needs no applying here...this is flat MP3 territory for the initiated by the mega recording studio monster companies...money, profits, revenues...none to do with the music passion and quality calm for the intellect of a man and woman.

* When I read a professional review from an audio reviewer, I want to know the music recordings he is using to base his review on...most importantly for me.
That way I can be familiar, and if not I discover new music I need to get. That matters first. The sound is coming from those music recordings; that's the main essence, the number one sources.

We can explore in great depth what your post contains above; this is just one very small approach to it I'm sharing. I'm wide open to it all.
Very true that in a live concert hall the sounds are coming from various directions, and not two halls are exactly sounding the same.
As in speakers, we have our own preference for the halls we like more...the ones that give us the best spatial envelopment, 3D immersion in the music.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I think the industry is starting to go in that direction of a self contained, well engineered solution that combines the simplicity of plug and play with the SQ of the high end. If I were shopping two channel today that is the area that I would want to investigate first. It takes all the finnickyness of matching components away from the user and leaves it to the engineers. Something like this:

https://ecliving.electrocompaniet.no/?lang=en

this:
http://en.devialet.com/phantom#discover

or this:

http://www.dynaudio.com/home-audio/focus-xd/

Interesting how all of these companies are based in Europe.

Same for Auro-3D.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
The first post of this thread mentioned a 360° mechanical/electrical sound reproducer; the MBL 101 X-Treme loudspeaker system. And the OP's experience was the most 3-dimensional sound he has ever experienced in his life. That 360° dispersion is the main contributor for that 3D holographic sound illusion, plus the integrated room acoustics with it.
One slight problem with that theory, Bob ;) ... when I heard the MBLs at that show I mentioned in an earlier post, the demo was done in a huge open space, there was room to easily set up a dozen or so major systems side by side - effectively no side walls, with a hugely high ceiling. So, only the carpeted floor was going to have any significant effect. Yet, I was hearing high class 3D - how so? Well, the direct sound from the speakers was of a very high standard - to me, that's what it's all about ...

Also, a full classical orchestral music recording is impossible to recreate @ realistic live levels...classical chamber music, small acoustic jazz ensemble are more feasible for our limited speaker's systems in our rooms...even from larger ones...full range. A full orchestra with 121 musicians recorded on a LP album...I have never heard one that can do justice.
Not so, Bob. The big impact orchestral pieces do work - and other goodie are bagpipes and drums, and full blown naval bands and such. Wound up, the latter are brilliant to listen to - simply recorded, with tremendous bite and impact from the instruments; these are powerful listening experiences, with huge space in them to enjoy.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
Interesting you mention Dynaudio! :p ... Because, in the last audio show I visited they had a demo of their then current wireless, all-in-one box - and, it was truly awful! It had everything wrong about it, that gives hifi a bad name, at the moment when I was listening. The fact that in a nearby room one of their best speakers, hooked up to prime quality, other brand gear, was producing some of the best sound I had ever heard just put this fact into even sharper contrast ... !

So, the manufacturers are still stumbling around, trying to nail everything - it's not easy, I appreciate this, so perhaps the best advice is to wait a bit longer until the consistency is there.

and while you are waiting the price will likely come down too.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
... when I heard the MBLs at that show I mentioned in an earlier post, the demo was done in a huge open space, there was room to easily set up a dozen or so major systems side by side - effectively no side walls, with a hugely high ceiling. So, only the carpeted floor was going to have any significant effect. Yet, I was hearing high class 3D - how so? Well, the direct sound from the speakers was of a very high standard - to me, that's what it's all about ...

Ok, other great contributors to that 3D sound that you bring:
1. A large open room with ample space for the sound to breathe.
2. High quality standard direct sound. * It must also have been a quality recording. Do you remember if it was from LP or CD or tape or hi-res audiofile?

The big impact orchestral pieces do work - and other goodie are bagpipes and drums, and full blown naval bands and such. Wound up, the latter are brilliant to listen to - simply recorded, with tremendous bite and impact from the instruments; these are powerful listening experiences, with huge space in them to enjoy.

I admit; I have never experienced it in a home, only @ a live venue. It must have been tremendous, with 'godzilla' sized speakers and powered by an enormous amount of watts.
The closest member here that I saw trying to do this is Gary Koh, from Genesis Advanced Technologies; inside a big conference room with few hundred seats. I couldn't locate the picture of that room with his setup.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Ok, other great contributors to that 3D sound that you bring:
1. A large open room with ample space for the sound to breathe.
2. High quality standard direct sound. * It must also have been a quality recording. Do you remember if it was from LP or CD or tape or hi-res audiofile?
They did both LP, and CD - check out the pic's again, this was the top level MBL source gear, and monster TT. The qualities were comparable between the media; I remember the piece which was a classic small jazz ensemble workout, with saxophone - the latter had all the qualities of the "real thing", with full bite and balance between tone and impact.

I admit; I have never experienced it in a home, only @ a live venue. It must have been tremendous, with 'godzilla' sized speakers and powered by an enormous amount of watts.
The closest member here that I saw trying to do this is Gary Koh, from Genesis Advanced Technologies; inside a big conference room with few hundred seats. I couldn't locate the picture of that room with his setup.
None of that OTT stuff is required - just the capability to go loud with cleanness; if one gets that right then the sound picture just falls into place, automatically. To someone who hasn't experienced it before it might seem amazing that small speakers, with conventional sizing of amplifier, can do this - but one's head is telling you that you're listening to "big" sound, and that's all that matters ...;).

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I tried a hybrid system for a while but you need patience to switch between 2 CH and MCH everytime you want to change it up. What type of DAC are you using?

I use a stack of 3 x PS AUdio DS Dacs. There really is no switching involved. When I play MCH I set my preamp to unity gain (80), and control volume digitally, and in 2 channel playback I set digital volume to 100 and attenuate on the preamp. The MCH and 2 channel signal path is the same.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
I use a stack of 3 x PS AUdio DS Dacs. There really is no switching involved. When I play MCH I set my preamp to unity gain (80), and control volume digitally, and in 2 channel playback I set digital volume to 100 and attenuate on the preamp. The MCH and 2 channel signal path is the same.

ohhhh, for me I had to toggle some switches and it became too much of a hassle

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing