Studer A812 Parts

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I recently purchased a Studer A812 and I need some parts to fix it up. I am looking for some tape path parts including 1 tape tension cover/cap, 1 tape guide with cover and another cover.

Other than hunting on ebay are there other sources of parts? I am sure as I go through the machine I will find other things that need to be replaced.

I also know that I am going to have to clean some of the metal on the case.

Any help would be appreciated.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I recently purchased a Studer A812 and I need some parts to fix it up. I am looking for some tape path parts including 1 tape tension cover/cap, 1 tape guide with cover and another cover.

Other than hunting on ebay are there other sources of parts? I am sure as I go through the machine I will find other things that need to be replaced.

Several of the eBay sellers that regularly sell Studer parts have old non working machines for disassembly and will sell you the parts you need if you send a message to them. I got most of my spares for the A80 from eBay sellers from Holland, France and UK.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area

The best approach would be to refer to the A812 manual and identify the parts you need and post their part number to remove all confusions.

Fortunately, A812 share mostly same transport parts as A810. There are many parts still available used and new.

Ki

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Thanks Ki and Bruce.

Fred Thal

[Industry Expert]
Jul 15, 2016
Fortunately, A812 share mostly same transport parts as A810.

Ki

Hi Ki,

I don't understand this. Are you speaking only of a few, shared, essentially cosmetic parts?

Because the A812 and A810 transports actually share very little. The two machines are radically different.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Hi Fred:

You are correct. I should have said there are some and not all parts that are common on two models.

I see Studer lists the tension roller cover for A812 as 1.811.112.00 whereas for A810 is 1.167.831.00.

Ki

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
The tape path parts look very similar but they are not interchangeable between the 810 and 812. The head cover and plate are the same.

Fred Thal

[Industry Expert]
Jul 15, 2016
Hi Fred:

You are correct. I should have said there are some and not all parts that are common

Ki

Hi Ki,

It's a very common mistake! At first glance, the A812 transport indeed looks very much like that of the older A810.

But there is almost no relation at all. For example, their transport foundation castings are different, their spooling motors are different, their spooling motor control circuits are different, their capstan motors are different, their capstan motor control circuits are different, their headblocks are different. And there's a whole lot more.

This is why I earlier invited the original poster to ask about his A812 on the Studer list.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
Hi
is the A812 an evolution of the A810 and an improvement?
if so only the transport and transport-related electronics or the rest as well?
best
Leif

Fred Thal

[Industry Expert]
Jul 15, 2016
Hi
is the A812 an evolution of the A810 and an improvement?
Leif

The A812 was developed to be the new-generation, small format, joint purpose transport (meaning both synchronizable analog and DASH) platform.

In its analog version, it borrowed the previously developed A820 A810 audio channel circuitry.

Unfortunately, the A812 shipped with one of the poorest, most convoluted and complex packaging designs ever seen from Studer. A812 machines were, from day one, nothing short of a terrible electronics service nightmare. I wouldn't touch one with a ten-foot pole.

My conjecture is that it was envisioned that the 812 transport control electronics could be re-designed and cleaned-up later, when the DASH version was to debut. That never happened, of course.

I recognize that there is vibrant tape hobby community active on this forum, but for any of you seeking authoritative technical information on Studer products, I once again recommend subscribing to the Studer list. We enjoy good peer review on the Studer list. For example, some members of the A812's original design team are subscribed there.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
The parts I am looking for are the right side tape guide cover and screw. The part numbers are 1.810.150.03 and 21.51.2356.

If anyone has these please let me know.

Fred Thal

[Industry Expert]
Jul 15, 2016
The part numbers are 1.810.150.03 and 21.51.2356.

If anyone has these please let me know.

We have two of these, used, grade B cosmetics (you'll have to look closely to see the flaws).

If you want them, and you are in the USA, they are yours for the cost of a padded envelope and postage.

Contact me thru the ATAE website.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
We have two of these, used, grade B cosmetics (you'll have to look closely to see the flaws).

If you want them, and you are in the USA, they are yours for the cost of a padded envelope and postage.

Contact me thru the ATAE website.

Fred, I sent you a private message. I couldn't find your ATAE contact information.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing