Is it unwise to buy a state of the art CD player at this time?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
CD remains the defacto standard for all new classical releases - at least for the bigger labels and probably most labels regardless of size. I can't even recall a classical title I have purchased in the last 25 years - right up until today - where CD was not the primary format. Downloads are of course offered but not at the expense of offering the CD. Infact looking at, for example, the DG and Decca websites, one might be forgiven for thinking it is the early 1980s all over again of you ignore the download options and instead see how many new CDs and LPs are coming out of brand new and reissue releases!

DG and Decca combined have close to a dozen or more LPs coming out over the next few months and probably around double that number of CDs!

Thanks for a healthy reality check. Most labels regardless of size sounds about right. Make that jazz too, by the way.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Russ, I have read your last post entirely, and with great attention.

Don't subscribe to Tidal. :b
______

In my college years during summer time I played all the sports and did all the works. One summer I was working various shifts @ two mental institutions; assistant "preposé" in caring and helping the unfortunate few...all classes...all ages...all levels. It was a good experience that remained with me to this day...for 44 years. I've seen a lot then and I've seen a lot now. I've been to heaven and hell back and forth.

This is no accident...life is no accident. Your sharing experience is your grandest gift. Music is what united us all. Mike Lavigne and Frank just shared two piano albums (LP, CD, whatever...music). This is one of my greatest joys today.

I have cataracts in both eyes, I am a film lover, I have several broken bones in my body caused by extensive physical work for thirty years. I have a heart situation...a serious one. Once I was on the edge of the ultimate precipice; music held my balance.

This is no accident...our journey takes us where we should exactly be...in time and in space.
The person who helped me the most in times of dire needs was a lady worker helping others and who herself has been there up to her own personal level.
We had a plan, the plan didn't work. But the music kept playing, and even when the stereo is not running the music keeps playing. It's not from the radio, not from the turntable, not from a CD player, not from streaming, it's from life, inside and outside. ...Very peaceful music, soothing, natural, and with all the flaws in my body.

Me, you, Marty, and all the members here plus the guests, readers, many who never posted; this is no accident.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
If you have made it this far in this post, then thank you for listening as I bare my heart about the role audio has played in my life and especially at this time in my life. Your posts on this thread have helped me greatly on a life front, despite the fact that I am still totally confused about what to do on the digital front. I hope that there has been at least something in this post that might be relevant and helpful to your audio interests.

Russ, the self-appointed Forum Shrink LOL!
Russ, it is not every day that we read about a fellow audiophiles of life and feelings about these matters. Being males we often are not wanting to be so transparent. So yes, I did read it and very much appreciated the insight it provided. You have been a wonderful listener, open to hearing all views on your question. I have never had an OCD about anything so can't fully understand the dilemma you face. Hopefully you find a way to chart through that and get to a satisfying answer.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Russ, I have read your last post entirely, and with great attention.

Don't subscribe to Tidal. :b
______

In my college years during summer time I played all the sports and did all the works. One summer I was working various shifts @ two mental institutions; assistant "preposé" in caring and helping the unfortunate few...all classes...all ages...all levels. It was a good experience that remained with me to this day...for 44 years. I've seen a lot then and I've seen a lot now. I've been to heaven and hell back and forth.

This is no accident...life is no accident. Your sharing experience is your grandest gift. Music is what united us all. Frank just shared a piano album (LP, CD, whatever...music).
This is one of my greatest joys today.

I have cataracts in both eyes, I am a film lover, I have several broken bones in my body caused by extensive physical work for thirty years.
Once I was on the edge of the ultimate precipice; music held my balance.

This is no accident...our journey takes us where we should exactly be...in time and in space.
The person who helped me the most in times of dire needs was a lady worker helping others and who herself has been there up to her own personal level.
We had a plan, the plan didn't work. But the music kept playing, and even when the stereo is not running the music keeps playing. It's not from the radio, not from the turntable, not from a CD player, not from streaming, it's from life, inside and outside. ...Very peaceful music, soothing, natural, and with all the flaws in my body.

Me, you, Marty, and all the members here plus the guests, readers, many who never posted; this is no accident.

Thank you so much. Your words mean a lot to me. I wrote that piece from my soul during a time when it was very exposed. It is just funny how audio brought it to the surface.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Russ, it is not every day that we read about a fellow audiophiles of life and feelings about these matters. Being males we often are not wanting to be so transparent. So yes, I did read it and very much appreciated the insight it provided. You have been a wonderful listener, open to hearing all views on your question. I have never had an OCD about anything so can't fully understand the dilemma you face. Hopefully you find a way to chart through that and get to a satisfying answer.

Amir, have you noticed how often I thank you for your comments!!!! Thank you again.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Russ, Bob and Amir have already said what I think a lot of us felt when we read your piece, including myself, so I won't add to that. But will just make the point that the question you should ask yourself is, "Do I still enjoy pure, live, non-amplified music just as much now as I would like to, even with my current hearing problems?" If the answer is Yes, then go ahead with the audio journey - the end point can give just as much pleasure and value as the live experience, so the effort and expense will be worthwhile ...

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Beck to reissue entire DGC/Geffen/Interscope catalog on vinyl:

http://pitchfork.com/news/68446-beck-launches-vinyl-reissue-series-with-odelay-sea-change-and-guero/

Cover art gets a shot in the arm through cassette:

"But one aspect that is often lost in these arguments about bygone technology and nostalgia is the fascinating visual art that has accompanied the tape resurgence. Many small labels, especially in the experimental music underground, boast the most interesting packaging across any format today. Browsing cassette labels on Bandcamp is like taking a virtual tour of independent artist galleries.

Why, exactly, do tapes inspire such visual creativity? One answer is simple economics. Tapes are less expensive to manufacture than vinyl, freeing the art-making process from some of the financial pressures of recouping major expenses. A cassette label can focus on a more personal kind of branding, giving releases a distinctive look that complements or enhances the music."

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1298-the-art-of-cassettes-5-tape-labels-that-get-graphics-right/

Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore to release cassette single for Cassette Store Day:

http://www.stereogum.com/1900319/thurston-moore-announces-cassette-single-in-support-of-chelsea-manning/news/

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Mobiusman.

I listened to the Spectral 4000SV CD player and suddenly remembered you. I hope things are better.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Mobiusman.

I listened to the Spectral 4000SV CD player and suddenly remembered you. I hope things are better.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing