dCS Network Bridge

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
dCS has just introduced the Network Bridge.

It allows Elgar/Debussy/Puccini/Paganini/Scarlatti owners to take advantage of their network streaming tech, as used in the Rossini/Vivaldi.

14258343_332893850390101_1104157271180868083_o.jpg

14231362_332893917056761_456281239507650749_o.jpg

14242505_332893857056767_1006263268957831659_o.jpg

Making the Network Bridge

Chris Hales, dCS Director of Product Development, gives his take on the new Network Box…

“This is for people who bought into pre Vivaldi, to give them access to network streaming of audio. Scarlatti, Paganini or even classic Elgar owners don’t have access to this – unlike the new Rossini – and it's increasingly becoming the way that people are consuming music”, explains Chris Hales. “This special product really came out of that need. In essence it's using the network hardware that we have in Rossini and Vivaldi, all the IP and know-how that we built up over the period that we have been developing that. It receives audio via UPnP, Apple Airplay, Spotify Connect, TIDAL and other sources and outputs bit perfect au-dio in a form that a legacy dCS DAC can use, and that’s really what we are try-ing to achieve.”

Chris says that it was a case of using the tried and tested dCS streaming plat-form and adapting it for this special box of tricks. “As far as the network hard-ware design is concerned, our platform is now well developed, although need-less to say some customisation was needed.” As with the new Rossini, the net-work hardware itself is supplied by Stream Unlimited in Vienna. “The Rossini uses a Stream 800 board which is a very capable network solution, and the Network Box is using a variant of that – the Stream 820. This is essentially the same board, but with a slightly more powerful processor, plus it’s wi-fi enabled. We really wanted to take advantage of this feature.”

He says that dCS always recommends a wired connection for the best sound, “…if you possibly can. This is because you are guaranteed bandwidth which you are absolutely not with a wireless connection. But some users although they stream all their music files, may enjoy the added flexibility of wi-fi.

“The board itself is self contained and is not modified,” explains Chris, “as de-livered by Stream Unlimited. But needless to say, it requires power supplies and is flexible in its own right. So one of the key things that we have done is to alter the clocking. So the Stream board plugs into a motherboard that has some typi-cal dCS circuitry on it that basically gives you all the benefits of our clocking system that you'd have in any other dCS product. The very high quality clock-ing gives low jitter, and of course it has our usual power supply arrangements. Traditionally we don't make too much fuss about dCS power supplies because it’s something that’s just got to be done right, but perhaps that’s dCS modesty – you need to do things well if you want things to work right. But the Network Box power supplies are typologically similar to what you would find on a dCS control board, with ultra low noise…”

In terms of connectivity, Chris says dCS, “is trying not to be too partisan”, so it could be used with both dCS and a very wide range of other manufacturers’ products too. “But the general idea is that if you have a dCS product, be it the very early Elgar or the most recent Scarlatti, you will be able to use this box to maximum effect. So we have processing options which will allow you to downsample to whatever the maximum sample rate your DAC can cope with, or not as you wish. The idea is to make the box as transparent as we possibly can where we can, and then to process minimally to suit your DAC where that's appropriate.”

“The motherboard has a big Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) on there as you’d expect from a dCS product, which does all the processing and all the logic and so forth. It’s not quite the monster that we have inside the Rossini but nevertheless we've got a lot of processing in there that can interface with the Stream 800 board and take that and send it out onto the digital output and so forth. So the processing platform is typically flexible and upgradable, as ever with dCS. All the software is done in-house as usual, from our algorithms to the control coding. What we have inside is by no means a generic Stream 820 by the way – there are lots of features which didn't exist before we commissioned them to build those in. We had a lot of dialogue with Stream Unlimited to shape the architecture of this board and to integrate these new features into our pack-age. I think many of the performance features wouldn't have been developed, if we weren't the lead customer on those…”

Overall, Chris says the new Network Box is an interesting niche product that will expand the horizons of both dCS fans and the wider audiophile public alike. “It’s a product for the legacy market, but with very much the quality of that processing that you would expect from dCS.”

Attachments

• 14231847_332893853723434_430446916612194942_o.jpg
    14231847_332893853723434_430446916612194942_o.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,930

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

It allows Elgar/Debussy/Puccini/Paganini/Scarlatti owners to take advantage of their network streaming tech, as used in the Rossini/Vivaldi.

View attachment 28909

View attachment 28906

View attachment 28908

Making the Network Bridge

Chris Hales, dCS Director of Product Development, gives his take on the new Network Box…

“This is for people who bought into pre Vivaldi, to give them access to network streaming of audio. Scarlatti, Paganini or even classic Elgar owners don’t have access to this – unlike the new Rossini – and it's increasingly becoming the way that people are consuming music”, explains Chris Hales. “This special product really came out of that need. In essence it's using the network hardware that we have in Rossini and Vivaldi, all the IP and know-how that we built up over the period that we have been developing that. It receives audio via UPnP, Apple Airplay, Spotify Connect, TIDAL and other sources and outputs bit perfect au-dio in a form that a legacy dCS DAC can use, and that’s really what we are try-ing to achieve.”

Chris says that it was a case of using the tried and tested dCS streaming plat-form and adapting it for this special box of tricks. “As far as the network hard-ware design is concerned, our platform is now well developed, although need-less to say some customisation was needed.” As with the new Rossini, the net-work hardware itself is supplied by Stream Unlimited in Vienna. “The Rossini uses a Stream 800 board which is a very capable network solution, and the Network Box is using a variant of that – the Stream 820. This is essentially the same board, but with a slightly more powerful processor, plus it’s wi-fi enabled. We really wanted to take advantage of this feature.”

He says that dCS always recommends a wired connection for the best sound, “…if you possibly can. This is because you are guaranteed bandwidth which you are absolutely not with a wireless connection. But some users although they stream all their music files, may enjoy the added flexibility of wi-fi.

“The board itself is self contained and is not modified,” explains Chris, “as de-livered by Stream Unlimited. But needless to say, it requires power supplies and is flexible in its own right. So one of the key things that we have done is to alter the clocking. So the Stream board plugs into a motherboard that has some typi-cal dCS circuitry on it that basically gives you all the benefits of our clocking system that you'd have in any other dCS product. The very high quality clock-ing gives low jitter, and of course it has our usual power supply arrangements. Traditionally we don't make too much fuss about dCS power supplies because it’s something that’s just got to be done right, but perhaps that’s dCS modesty – you need to do things well if you want things to work right. But the Network Box power supplies are typologically similar to what you would find on a dCS control board, with ultra low noise…”

In terms of connectivity, Chris says dCS, “is trying not to be too partisan”, so it could be used with both dCS and a very wide range of other manufacturers’ products too. “But the general idea is that if you have a dCS product, be it the very early Elgar or the most recent Scarlatti, you will be able to use this box to maximum effect. So we have processing options which will allow you to downsample to whatever the maximum sample rate your DAC can cope with, or not as you wish. The idea is to make the box as transparent as we possibly can where we can, and then to process minimally to suit your DAC where that's appropriate.”

“The motherboard has a big Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) on there as you’d expect from a dCS product, which does all the processing and all the logic and so forth. It’s not quite the monster that we have inside the Rossini but nevertheless we've got a lot of processing in there that can interface with the Stream 800 board and take that and send it out onto the digital output and so forth. So the processing platform is typically flexible and upgradable, as ever with dCS. All the software is done in-house as usual, from our algorithms to the control coding. What we have inside is by no means a generic Stream 820 by the way – there are lots of features which didn't exist before we commissioned them to build those in. We had a lot of dialogue with Stream Unlimited to shape the architecture of this board and to integrate these new features into our pack-age. I think many of the performance features wouldn't have been developed, if we weren't the lead customer on those…”

Overall, Chris says the new Network Box is an interesting niche product that will expand the horizons of both dCS fans and the wider audiophile public alike. “It’s a product for the legacy market, but with very much the quality of that processing that you would expect from dCS.”

Well, the most interesting thing is learning that DCS has a partnership in the development area with StreamUnlimited, a company known for its great expertise in the streaming and multi-room audio integration solutions. In some sense it assures us that DCS products will follow the evolution of market tendencies.

Do you have an idea of the Network Bridge price?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
No. It hasn't been announced yet.

frd

Sep 25, 2016

Hi, thanks for this insight.

Since I could be interested, I have been checking for more intell.

Here is a description of the technical specs I haven't seen from now on dCS website : http://www.moremusic.nl/dcs/network-bridge.html

(dCS pdf product datasheet attached to this post)

Best regards

PS : I spend time reading this forum, it's a tremendous source of enlightenments ! thanks to everyone !

Attachments

• dCS_Network_Bridge.pdf
    182 KB · Views: 142

pessoa00

Feb 25, 2015
Do you have an idea of the Network Bridge price?

The price will be £3.250, which seems very competitive considering all the features. I wonder how the sound quality will compare with Aurender N10, N100 and Lumin U1.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Been auditioning in my system as a replacement for my "aging" Berkeley Alpha USB D/D along with microRendu/Sonore Signature LPS. Clearly this bests that kluge with finesse. Anyone using the Alpha USB should give this a go. Easy to install and use, but most importantly takes your system to new heights of sonic splendor.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Been auditioning in my system as a replacement for my "aging" Berkeley Alpha USB D/D along with microRendu/Sonore Signature LPS. Clearly this bests that kluge with with finesse. Anyone using the Alpha USB should give this a go. Easy to install and use but most importantly takes your system to new heights of sonic splendor.

What are you using as a server?

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
What are you using as a server?

I've a late 2014 MacMini that's got 8 GB mem and fastest processor. I've an Ethernet and Thunderbolt/Ethernet virtual bridge set up, with the Ethernet wire going into the dCS while the other wire from the Thunderbolt/Ethernet going into my switch. This avoids the comms software layer that exists with the RAAT protocol of Roon. That along with a recent implementation of a NAS (had a USB attached drive) have helped lower the noise floor, among other things.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I've a late 2014 MacMini that's got 8 GB mem and fastest processor. I've an Ethernet and Thunderbolt/Ethernet virtual bridge set up, with the Ethernet wire going into the dCS while the other wire from the Thunderbolt/Ethernet going into my switch. This avoids the comms software layer that exists with the RAAT protocol of Roon. That along with a recent implementation of a NAS (had a USB attached drive) have helped lower the noise floor, among other things.

Thanks. I am not familiar with Mac's ... Does it mean you connect the MacMini directly to the DCS Network Bridge using the MAC gigabit Ethernet and the Mac to your home network and NAS using an Thunderbolt/Ethernet adapter connected to a switch?
Are you running just Roon on the MAC?

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Thanks. I am not familiar with Mac's ... Does it mean you connect the MacMini directly to the DCS Network Bridge using the MAC gigabit Ethernet and the Mac to your home network and NAS using an Thunderbolt/Ethernet adapter connected to a switch?
Are you running just Roon on the MAC?

Yes to both of your questions.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

I've had issue's with Roon. Lacking leading edge dynamics and sounding soft. I'm running Roon core on my NAS (Synology) into a Apple Airport Extreme. Ethernet from NAS to router to dCS Upampler. I've long been curious how to shut parts of Roon down to improve my sonic experience. Any ideas?

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Sorry but I've no ideas on Roon optimization. Have you posted to the Community at Roonlabs? I'm just guessing, but I'd bet there's little, if anything, that's available to "turn off". Maybe the upcoming R.O.C.K. OS and NUC implementations will resolve what you're experiencing. Maybe this will give you some ideas, or not https://kb.roonlabs.com/Sound_Quality

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes to both of your questions.

Well, now the question is for Windows 10 experts - would it be possible to have two RJ45 PCI cards in Windows 10 machine running Roon, one connected to the Vivaldi upsampler and the other to the home network? Apparently it seems it would be a better configuration than connecting everything using a common switch/router.

Last edited:

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
See if this is helpful: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...of-the-sms-200-and-microrendu/#comment-613370
Best to check with dCS about all of this. I have accomplished this with my MacMini and am running this with the dCS Network Bridge (Ethernet from MacMini directly into the dCS, while the Thunderbolt/Ethernet dongle is wired into my Cisco switch that has a WiFi Router (Eero mesh network) attached along with my NAS. The setup was tricky given I'm running headless. Best to have display/keyboard/mouse wired into the Windows system or you'll possibly lose access to the system along the way to success.

mitch2

Mar 28, 2016
Have any of you compared the dCS Network Bridge with the SOtM triple set as a Roon endpoint?
They both have sufficient functionality for me so I am interested in SQ.
Any comments on the dCS Network Bridge or SOtM triple set, even if not a comparison?
Thanks

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Have any of you compared the dCS Network Bridge with the SOtM triple set as a Roon endpoint?
Any comments on the dCS Network Bridge or SOtM triple set, even if not a comparison?
Thanks

Good question +1

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Thanks

Until dCS enables NB USB output, there is no point of doing comparison. Last I heard is that NB firmware upgrade is schedule on May. I guess you have to wait for a while.

There are many resources on CA on SOTM trifecta. I’m summary, SOTM trifecta is excellent.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing