2018 Toyota Camry Photo Leak ?

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
I BELIEVE TOYOTA HAS MADE A MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH WITH THIS NEW 2018 C A M R Y ! :b

THEY ARE BRINGING DOWN THAT DIMINISHING RETURNS TO THE POINT THAT MOST ANYONE CAN AFFORD NOW ! :cool:

NOW EVERYBODY CAN AFFORD THAT LUXURY RIDE AND QUIETNESS AND FUN TO DRIVE SEDAN TOO ! :cool: :)

HISTORY IS BEING MADE HERE ! ;)

Last edited:

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
I went and test drove a 2018 Camry XLE and it rides even better than the LE model!! :b

The XLE model is even more fun to drive! and the JBL Stereo sounded a little better than stereo system in the LE model !

I also found the XLE a little Quieter inside the cabin than the LE model too!

I will buy a White Camry XLE with Red Leather Seats:p next year when the 2019's come out and keep it until I die!:b

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
I test droved a 2017 Camry V6 and a 2018 Camry 4-cylinder.. 'Back to Back' and the 2018 Camry 4-cylinder Really Does Have V6 POWER!:D I was thinking about getting the V6 BUT NOT NOW!!:b The 2018 Camry 4-cylinder is just as powerful as the 2017 Camry V6!;)

Last edited:

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
As soon as Yamaha puts:p Zylon speaker drivers for cars on the market I'm putting 9 of them in my 2019 Camry XLE!:D

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I test droved a 2017 Camry V6 and a 2018 Camry 4-cylinder.. 'Back to Back' and the 2018 Camry 4-cylinder Really Does Have V6 POWER!:D I was thinking about getting the V6 BUT NOT NOW!!:b The 2018 Camry 4-cylinder is just as powerful as the 2017 Camry V6!;)

Do you think it is because of the 6 speed transmission?

Toyota is falling behind in power and MPG, pretty bad... It looks like the 6-speed is their answer to that?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Oh, I guess I missed that, and was looking at another model or something...

That has to be the reason, they basically are in their powerband way more often. And yet, they could still improve.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
my guess is that Toyota would rather have turbo engines now in their passenger cars, it's where the cutting edge is. just look at Porsche and Mercedes Benz, they are all turbo's now.

$40k Mercedes sedans are all 4 cylinder turbos. even 911's are turbo's.

but developing a turbo line-up for mass market models is a spendy proposition. the bean counters decided to do another round of NA engines instead. which for consumers is not huge, the performance is essentially the same. it's just degrees of efficiency and clean environmental concerns are less served.

and Honda now has a 10 speed automatic transmission for it's new 2018 Accord (2 liter turbo models) which mates perfectly with the new turbo engines.

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Well, turbos do make any car less reliable due to their nature of high speed, heat, and oil. They certainly have come a long way, however, and don't really sway my opinion on avoiding a car like they would when I first started driving. I think going with smaller turbo'd engines is smart to allow for weight & space savings, it has always been coming as the natural evolution. The tech has developed to allow them to be useful with high compression ratios and forced induction, etc, for small engines, all on pump gas.

What do you think about 6-10spd transmissions vs. CVT, Mike?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Well, turbos do make any car less reliable due to their nature of high speed, heat, and oil. They certainly have come a long way, however, and don't really sway my opinion on avoiding a car like they would when I first started driving. I think going with smaller turbo'd engines is smart to allow for weight & space savings, it has always been coming as the natural evolution. The tech has developed to allow them to be useful with high compression ratios and forced induction, etc, for small engines, all on pump gas.

not necessarily. these days you try to retain heat in engines for clean burn. and cooling systems are much more refined. Honda has earned the benefit of the doubt as the world's largest builder of internal combustion engines. Honda builds the longest lasting engines (had to throw that in).

What do you think about 6-10spd transmissions vs. CVT, Mike?

horses for courses.

CVT is more space and cost efficient, and at lower power points is smoother. since they are software based you can get more 'punch' under more conditions from less power.

traditional automatic transmissions in general cost more and are heavier, but can be better and handle more power. but many times shift harshly at lower price points (read about references to this in this thread). the latest 9 and 10 speeds Honda is now making are a wonder of smoothness and better responsiveness with the higher power engines (Accord, Pilot, Odyssey, Ridgeline).

Last edited:

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Let us hope that the new Honda 10-speed is not a repeat of the Acura TLX 9-speed disaster.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Thanks, Mike. Gives me hope. After being a 3 Series Bimmer owner for many years, I'm looking for a less exciting maintenance experience in retirement, and the new Accord looks interesting.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Thanks, Mike. Gives me hope. After being a 3 Series Bimmer owner for many years, I'm looking for a less exciting maintenance experience in retirement, and the new Accord looks interesting.

average repair order (parts and labor) at a BMW dealership is about $600, at our Honda dealership it's about $147. and both those numbers includes oil changes which are much less.

the crazy part is that many Honda owners think $147 is too high, and most BMW owners don't care about the cost. a matter of expectations, as many times these people own both makes.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Per year?

per repair order, which likely averages somewhere around 2.25-2.5 per year per active VIN number in the dealership data base.

so multiply dollar amount by the average repair orders per year. now; this is for all the various years and models in the data base. not just new cars under warranty, or just old cars.

and older cars tend to fall off into the aftermarket repair facilities to some degree. dealerships do more of newer cars, and fewer of older cars. this fall off varies from dealership to dealership, and from community to community.

these are the things I worry about all day long.

we sell lots of used cars of various makes, so over 40+ years of doing this, it's easy to see what makes cost more or less to repair. and what makes to avoid (don't have long enough extension cords.....or they don't stay fixed).

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Mike, I love hearing from the horses mouth, as opposed to all the review sites, rating sites, etc... they don't really help the consumer a lot until the cars are rather old.

I have to say, expensive oil changes on luxury cars does bother me. There is 0% reason for it. My dealership for my car has a free shuttle, wifi, a really nice waiting area, etc... With a package deal it's the cheapest place to get oil changes. And then one block down LandRover charges $800? (I don't know exact details, but a friend worked there and literally said that to me) Nonsense. I've changed enough oil to know that is utter robbery. But if someone charges $50 instead of $35 or so, I understand that actually, and am not particularly bothered by it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing