2018 Toyota Camry Photo Leak ?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
The 2018 Camry will set the benchmark in the mid-size sedan segment :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d39N7s3IVpo

I posted a youtube of the new 2018 Accord coming out this fall, but thought better of it (and just deleted it) since this is Audio Karma's Camry thread.

so best wishes to the new Camry, and maybe i'll open another thread on the new Accord.

Last edited:

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Haven't owned a Camry (but have rented them) and never owned a Honda but have owned 6 Acuras TL's and my wife has an ILX now. Acuras held their value well so were easy to flip.

Last time around I went with a VW - bad timing. :)

The VW isn't a bad car but resale is a disaster due to the diesel issue - even though mine is a gas turbo.

Both the new Camry and new Accord look to be nice vehicles. USA vehicle buyers seem to love only CUV's and SUV's now. Pickup trucks, too, I guess.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Haven't owned a Camry (but have rented them) and never owned a Honda but have owned 6 Acuras TL's and my wife has an ILX now. Acuras held their value well so were easy to flip.

Last time around I went with a VW - bad timing. :)

The VW isn't a bad car but resale is a disaster due to the diesel issue - even though mine is a gas turbo.

Both the new Camry and new Accord look to be nice vehicles. USA vehicle buyers seem to love only CUV's and SUV's now. Pickup trucks, too, I guess.

the new Civic, out last year, has bucked that SUV trend and had significant growth and dominates it's segment for cars sold at retail (no/minimal fleet to rental company's from Honda).

the plan is for Accord to do what the Civic has done in it's segment, grow in sales at a time when it's segment is shrinking.....time will tell.

full disclosure; I'm General Manager of a large Honda Dealership (for the last 25 years.....at this dealership for 36 years). so I'm biased toward Honda. but also knowledgeable.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
the new Civic, out last year, has bucked that SUV trend and had significant growth and dominates it's segment for cars sold at retail (no/minimal fleet to rental company's from Honda).

the plan is for Accord to do what the Civic has done in it's segment, grow in sales at a time when it's segment is shrinking.....time will tell.

full disclosure; I'm General Manager of a large Honda Dealership (for the last 25 years.....at this dealership for 36 years). so I'm biased toward Honda. but also knowledgeable.

I drive a Honda Acura TL. Maybe you can give me some tips Mike?
1. Recommended fuel: unleaded premium 91 octane. Can I use mid-premium 89 octane?
2. How to clean the front headlights; they are foggy. ...Toothpaste?
3. Which gear should I use; normally 4D and 5D when going over 90 km/hour? In town, 3D? ...3D lol, like Blu-rays 3D. :b
4. Are you guys still in miles?
5. Anything that you might think to improve the ride?

* Yeah, there should be a separate Honda's thread.

Anyone that lives close to Battlefield Toyota in Culpeper , Va can find out how good this new Camry is. It's one of the first dealers to sell this 2018 Camry! :cool:

Feedback on the 2018 Camry is great! It's d@mn good!:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvzF1AXSkcY

When are you taking possession of the new 2018 Toyota Camry, and which color did you pick?
- Is there an electric one? ...Hybrid?
- I like the price, only $24,000
- 8 speeds, wow! Good mileage too.
- I really like the interior design.
- You must be a huge fan; you are the main poster of this thread. :b

* Toyota Camry was the very first car recommended to me. If I was a little better off I'd drive a Bugatti, just for fun.
Car @ the top, Toyota Lexus?

Last edited:

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
I drive a Honda Acura TL. Maybe you can give me some tips Mike?
1. Recommended fuel: unleaded premium 91 octane. Can I use mid-premium 89 octane?
2. How to clean the front headlights; they are foggy. ...Toothpaste?
3. Which gear should I use; normally 4D and 5D when going over 90 km/hour? In town, 3D? ...3D lol, like Blu-rays 3D. :b
4. Are you guys still in miles?
5. Anything that you might think to improve the ride?

* Yeah, there should be a separate Honda's thread.

When are you taking possession of the new 2018 Toyota Camry, and which color did you pick?
- Is there an electric one? ...Hybrid?
- I like the price, only $24,000
- 8 speeds, wow! Good mileage too.
- I really like the interior design.
- You must be a huge fan; you are the main poster of this thread. :b

* Toyota Camry was the very first car recommended to me. If I was a little better off I'd drive a Bugatti, just for fun.
Car @ the top, Toyota Lexus?

I'm going to wait for the 2021 Camry, they should use a lot more Aluminum on the body of the car by then. Aluminum is a lot stronger than a steel body car! Color? I would get the Silver SE 4-Cylinder non-hybrid model. I will get a "made in Japan Camry" when I buy mine in 2021.

If I had the money I would buy a Bugatti too!:D

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Honda and Toyota have both killed their rep by not offering decent performance car options. They're changing that but a little too late, too many years of boring their customers to tears and driving them to other brands unless they just want an appliance that transports them from place to place.

The only decent performance car Honda has ever offered is the S2000. The new Type R is wrong wheel drive, ugh... Toyota used to have MR2 and Supra. Now nothing at all except the more recent and hugely underpowered FR-S. And Tundras that get 13-14 mpg highway...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Here's another dealer that has a few 2018 Camrys for sale!:b Maybe a few of the dealers will get a few now and all other dealers will get them in late July.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkSvK5P2lfQ

You work for Toyota? :b Seriously, it is a nice car, and affordable, and not bad on fuel, and with Toyota's reliability.
Their Japanese factories produce solid engines, some of the world's best on longevity and fuel efficiency.
Toyota Camry and Lexus are rated year after year highly. This new 2018 Camry is a beauty, a nice departure from previous models, a fun ride; just look inside and when you sit down and pull the steering wheel towards your comfort zone. It suits a lot of people for their use; that's why they are so popular and selling.
Some of my best friends are . . . Toyota drivers. Number one.

* When you first started this thread I knew right away that you were on the right track. :b
Next, some electric Camry to compete with Tesla, and that can go 500 miles with a single charge.
By the way, I like the blue metallic one; she's sporty color wise...like the blue sky above the country road of our blue planet.

** I am just curious; the other day I was talking to one of my sisters on the total cost of her insurances (for a full year), and she's paying less than half of what I'm paying ($400 versus $1,000 - for roughly the same things). She lives in Quebec, I live in B.C.
How much roughly are the insurances in the USA, and in the UK, and in Germany? ...Of course, when insuring a 2018 Toyota Camry.
Is it more expensive on the west coast of USA than on the east coast?

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Auto insurance varies a lot depending upon market and your own driving record and claims. Credit scores play a role in insurance costs as well, at least in the USA.

Philadelphia was the costliest place to insure a car that I lived in. It was attributed to high levels of fraud, plus poorly designed and poorly maintained roads. Worst roads of any big metropolitan area I ever lived in. Regarding fraud, a Philadelphia city transit bus with three people riding in it can have an accident and 200 people will file injury claims!!

Southern California was actually considerably less expensive than Philadelphia but homeowners insurance could get very expensive there especially after an earthquake or a bad fire season. Then you have to decide whether or not to carry earthquake insurance. I never did because they had to blast rock near mountains to build our house so it was considered relatively safe. Houses in the valley areas are more typically built on land fill and the fill "liquifies" during a quake resulting in serious problems. Fortunately we never had any earthquake issue although we felt a few. Earthquake insurance is also quite expensive and has very high deductibles so the loss would have to be very significant to ever collect.

Tucson is typically a lower cost market for auto insurance. We just re-did out homeowners and auto insurance here and each of our cars was about $650.00 per year to insure with full coverage.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
You work for Toyota? :b Seriously, it is a nice car, and affordable, and not bad on fuel, and with Toyota's reliability.
Their Japanese factories produce solid engines, some of the world's best on longevity and fuel efficiency.
Toyota Camry and Lexus are rated year after year highly. This new 2018 Camry is a beauty, a nice departure from previous models, a fun ride; just look inside and when you sit down and pull the steering wheel towards your comfort zone. It suits a lot of people for their use; that's why they are so popular and selling.
Some of my best friends are . . . Toyota drivers. Number one.

* When you first started this thread I knew right away that you were on the right track. :b
Next, some electric Camry to compete with Tesla, and that can go 500 miles with a single charge.
By the way, I like the blue metallic one; she's sporty color wise...like the blue sky above the country road of our blue planet.

** I am just curious; the other day I was talking to one of my sisters on the total cost of her insurances (for a full year), and she's paying less than half of what I'm paying ($400 versus $1,000 - for roughly the same things). She lives in Quebec, I live in B.C.
How much roughly are the insurances in the USA, and in the UK, and in Germany? ...Of course, when insuring a 2018 Toyota Camry.
Is it more expensive on the west coast of USA than on the east coast?

No, I don't work at Toyota but I wished I owned a few Toyota dealerships right now! :b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Auto insurance varies a lot depending upon market and your own driving record and claims. Credit scores play a role in insurance costs as well, at least in the USA.

Philadelphia was the costliest place to insure a car that I lived in. It was attributed to high levels of fraud, plus poorly designed and poorly maintained roads. Worst roads of any big metropolitan area I ever lived in. Regarding fraud, a Philadelphia city transit bus with three people riding in it can have an accident and 200 people will file injury claims!!

Southern California was actually considerably less expensive than Philadelphia but homeowners insurance could get very expensive there especially after an earthquake or a bad fire season. Then you have to decide whether or not to carry earthquake insurance. I never did because they had to blast rock near mountains to build our house so it was considered relatively safe. Houses in the valley areas are more typically built on land fill and the fill "liquifies" during a quake resulting in serious problems. Fortunately we never had any earthquake issue although we felt a few. Earthquake insurance is also quite expensive and has very high deductibles so the loss would have to be very significant to ever collect.

Tucson is typically a lower cost market for auto insurance. We just re-did out homeowners and auto insurance here and each of our cars was about $650.00 per year to insure with full coverage.

$650 is not bad @ all. Better than me @ $990 (BC) and worst than my sister @ $375 (Quebec). ...Full coverage.
And in Canada here's the reason why: http://www.lowestrates.ca/insurance/auto/british-columbia
I live in the 2nd highest car insurance premiums province (after Ontario). We are getting ripped off (fraud) by the monopole entity...ICBC.
And she lives in the cheapest car insurances province, where there is a lot of competition.
{We both get our 43% discount for safe/good driving history.}
_____

* How many 2018 Toyota Camry are they expecting to sell in North America this year...10 millions!? :b
They are starting to show up almost everywhere.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
$650 is not bad @ all. Better than me @ $990 (BC) and worst than my sister @ $375 (Quebec). ...Full coverage.
And in Canada here's the reason why: http://www.lowestrates.ca/insurance/auto/british-columbia
I live in the 2nd highest car insurance premiums province (after Ontario). We are getting ripped off (fraud) by the monopole entity...ICBC.
And she lives in the cheapest car insurances province, where there is a lot of competition.
{We both get our 43% discount for safe/good driving history.}
_____

* How many 2018 Toyota Camry are they expecting to sell in North America this year...10 millions!? :b
They are starting to show up almost everywhere.

I think Toyota might sell over 600,000 Camrys in North America and over 1,200,000 World Wide in 12 months! :D

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I think Toyota might sell over 600,000 Camrys in North America and over 1,200,000 World Wide in 12 months! :D

I was humorous with my figure (10 millions). Yours are much more realistic; it should be good for the 2018 Toyota Camry; I am positive.
It's the car for economical audiophiles on a pleasant curved ride, and on a straight line too in 8th gear.
If I was poor or a student it would be my first choice. :b

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
I was humorous with my figure (10 millions). Yours are much more realistic; it should be good for the 2018 Toyota Camry; I am positive.
It's the car for economical audiophiles on a pleasant curved ride, and on a straight line too in 8th gear.
If I was poor or a student it would be my first choice. :b

I think the "Whole Car Market" has to worry about this new 2018 Camry!:D

Back in 2015 Toyota sold almost half a million Camrys so over 600,000 for the 2018 Camry is very realistic!:)

I really like the color Silver on this car the best.. it brings out the sports car in the Camry even more!;) :b

http://www.autospies.com/news/2018-...inally-here-is-the-first-official-photo-90564

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

just in case the truth is actually important, I thought I would give you a reality check on your Camry hyperbole.....

I get a report every month called the Industry Sales Flash, which shows all cars sales by make and model for the month, year, and then compares it to the previous year. below is a screen capture through June 2017 (16 days ago). you will notice that Camry has sold 177,000 through June, so an annual sales rate of 354,000 for the USA......and they might sell 40k to 50k in Canada and Mexico in a year. so 600k is off by 33%.

and unlike Honda, Toyota sells a significant number of Camry's directly to rental car agencies, which accounts for 10%-15% of their sales numbers (domestics are in the 20%+ category, Korean makes over 25%, Honda less than 2%). the second and forth columns show percentage of prior year; notice Camry is off 10% this year.....maybe the new model will jump that back to the norm? The challenge is a declining segment and other new competing products. and the total new car market has plateaued.

Will owners of Honda or other makes want the new Camry enough to switch......or will the other new updated models win that battle? or maybe even the new Tesla model will suck more buyers from this segment over the next 24 months? those new Tesla customers will most likely come from this segment. Mr. Musk is running at the mouth about 500,000 next year.....which is crazy talk (like 600,000 Camry's) but if he sells 150,000 of those $35k models that will impact this segment.

......all questions that i spend 24/7/365 working on.......for the last 40 years.

I have these numbers back a long ways. it's what I do.

Honda Accord has always sold more at retail than the Camry. total sales are typically similar.

camry.PNG

Last edited:

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Perhaps Audio_Karma is giving us The Onion satire treatment in this thread.

Dawned on me this morning that his hyperbolic commentary about the Camry sounds an awful lot like an audio cable thread.

It would have been more authentic if he'd chosen a Bugatti to enthuse over rather than a Camry though.

So, good play Audio_Karma. :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing