Collectible speakers

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
My candidate would be the speakers that I own...the Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage's. A classic Franco design and one that introduced the lute shape that is quite common today.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
For me:

- KLH 9 (had them in a rented apartment for a year just after college)
- Quad Electrostats

These are ones which i think are 'collectibles' and which i would be happy to own:

- Celestion SL6si (owned them)
- Sonus Faber Guarneri (owned them...the original ones)...if we had room, would get them now
- Apogee Stages, Diva and Full Range
- Sonus Faber Extrema

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Rogers LS3/5a 15 ohms. The value of these speakers in mint condition is higher than when one could buy them brand new.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
One incredible speaker,for his low price you can find now,that i use for rock music in my second system is Electrovoice Sentry III
Now i use with Wadia S7I,CH A1 in mono and this speaker with a horn Beryllium Supertweeter that Be Yamamura gave to me in 1990

For rock the sound is really incredible

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Top picture is a DCM Time Window

Yep owned a couple of Pairs of the Time Windows--damn good speaker for the Dosh at the time--they were made out of Cardboard --ya know sorta like big upstanding Toilet roll inner :D

And outa Phase tweeters

RIP

BruceD

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
My candidate would be the speakers that I own...the Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage's. A classic Franco design and one that introduced the lute shape that is quite common today.

Mine two-- an honest +1 ;)

BruceD

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My vote is for a speaker made to sound bad on purpose :D My vote goes to the Auratone C5. Oh and yes, the prices on originals are rising.

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
never owned them but they caused quite a stir at the time

DCM Time Machine

View attachment 28886

and then the DCM Time Machine 2

View attachment 28887

Having owned both Time Window 1 and 3 they were like Flies here in MI as they were made in Ann Arbor MI
That being said Steve Eberbach was a smart cookie for his time and was good at 1rst order time phased crossovers

I traded my 3 for not so Carver Amazings and still feel that a$$ rogering I took..

richluvsound

Aug 10, 2017
London
Hi Folks ,

this seems like the appropriate thread to introduce myself .... I've been collecting vintage speakers and parts for about 12 years . It's the old pro studio monitors that interest me . I built the JBL 4345 , refurbished the 4435 , L300 ( rescued from Mute Record's basement ) 4333, 4343 , and a few consumer models 4311, 4312, L150 ..... I've been really lucky to find the parts for the very rare TAD 2404 .. I've just received the networks and TD 4003 this morning . The cabinets are probably a bit better than the originals in materials and craftsmanship ( thats what I do - artist / designer ) with a formal apprenticeship in Joinery and a fine art degree ... I've taught myself enough E.E. to build my own amps and pre-amps ... I had to buy a DAC though ... cant do everything I guess . I try and build what ever I can .

Attachments

• Studio und JBL.jpg
    Studio und JBL.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 405

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
AR3a's without question. Maybe the Snell Type A Improved..

+ 1 for the Snell Type A improved . Fantastic Mids w/ deep bass when Biamped . IMG_2351.jpg

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
End of next week i will receive Quad Corner Ribbon,that is perfect,the box and driver,
i will post his sound,i never listen until now

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
another very good speaker,good sound and incredible impact with rock music are my Electrovoice Sentry III

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Hi Folks ,

this seems like the appropriate thread to introduce myself .... I've been collecting vintage speakers and parts for about 12 years . It's the old pro studio monitors that interest me . I built the JBL 4345 , refurbished the 4435 , L300 ( rescued from Mute Record's basement ) 4333, 4343 , and a few consumer models 4311, 4312, L150 ..... I've been really lucky to find the parts for the very rare TAD 2404 .. I've just received the networks and TD 4003 this morning . The cabinets are probably a bit better than the originals in materials and craftsmanship ( thats what I do - artist / designer ) with a formal apprenticeship in Joinery and a fine art degree ... I've taught myself enough E.E. to build my own amps and pre-amps ... I had to buy a DAC though ... cant do everything I guess . I try and build what ever I can .

Welcome to wbf!

A man after my own heart, always creating, and learning! Tell us more when you can..

Rgds,
Paul

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing