Collectible speakers

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Please post some of your preferred collectible speakers or speakers you think will become collectibles, explaining the reasons why you think they are or will be considered well sought after collectibles.

IMHO to be considered a collectible something must be of interest to a reasonable number of people, that will fight to get it when it shows in the market!;)

I will suggest the JBL Everest DD55000 that sometimes shows in my dreams - vintage 100 db/W, SET compatible, with the magic of Greg Timbers!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Various Western Electrics have been collectibles for years, but most are now in museum in South Korea owned by the Hyundai Billionaire. Their replicas are also collectibles.
Bionors
Some Altecs and JBLs restores, like Kenrick and westlake
Apogee Grands
Full Ranges are not yet but will be as fewer and fewer available
Some Tannoys, like autographs

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
For me the answer is none... I have no desire to do so...

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
B&W Silver Signature,

beautiful. huge WAF. sounds great. small enough to actually keep in a closet or put in a bedroom....so real world size works for collecting.

Silver.jpg

Kharma Exquisite ID

still my wife's favorite speaker. classic looking. reasonably easy to drive so amp flexible. smallish form factor (in spite of 550 pound weight) makes it storable. has appreciated in value since I owned it in 2001-2004.

1d.png

1d-2.jpg

andi

Apr 9, 2012
Germany
Hi,

one of my favorites are the Ohm Fs.
These were my first "real" High End Speakers.
Visitors wondered, what these things were good for.:D

These are my Hedlund horns.
Very rare and beautyful. Not used for years now but I will never sell them.
Hedl-forum.JPG

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
AR3a's without question. Maybe the Snell Type A Improved..

Custodian

May 26, 2013
Nakamichi Dragon Electrostatics. image.jpeg

Bought the only pair I've ever seen for £500 on UK EBay a while back. It was a failed project in which Nakamichi commissioned a speaker design from a Singapore/Australian design team. Prototype batch (50 pairs?) wildly exceeded manufacturing cost target so project abandoned. Remaining parts sold to an Australian company (Whise?) who sold some pairs before the whole thing disappeared.

As a small room speaker, it sounded extremely good. Built in dynamic woofer integrated well and sound was to my ears, ahead of other similar offerings from ML

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Nakamichi Dragon Electrostatics. View attachment 28891

Bought the only pair I've ever seen for £500 on UK EBay a while back. It was a failed project in which Nakamichi commissioned a speaker design from a Singapore/Australian design team. Prototype batch (50 pairs?) wildly exceeded manufacturing cost target so project abandoned. Remaining parts sold to an Australian company (Whise?) who sold some pairs before the whole thing disappeared.

As a small room speaker, it sounded extremely good. Built in dynamic woofer integrated well and sound was to my ears, ahead of other similar offerings from ML

These are excellent. They are just a steal. You can play music through them all day and not want more hifi except for hobby reasons

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
I give you... the Iconic.

Altec Lansing Iconic (815:801:808).jpg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
B&W Silver Signature,

beautiful. huge WAF. sounds great. small enough to actually keep in a closet or put in a bedroom....so real world size works for collecting.

View attachment 28883

Yes, they are too collectible ... :cool: It is my second pair, I have owned pair 0001-0002 and sold it, but later got a mint pair.
As you say they are nice sized for collecting, but the four packing boxes take a lot of space!

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 631

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Well, some had me almost convinced that speakers were not "collectible". Thanks microstrip for starting this thread and encouraging the discussion. My nomination is the Magico Mini. Some think it redefined what a "mini-monitor" could sound like. I think they sound wonderful and look great. They are fairly rare and prices are reasonable. I think they will find their way into many second systems. I'm not planning on buying new speakers any time soon, but if I were, I would probably hold onto my pair of Mini IIs.

This model introduced Magico to the audiophile public and launched the brand, which is now a presence in our hobby.

DSC_0023.jpg

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
There are a number of wonderful collectable vintage speakers that I love but there's one that got away…:(.

Platinum Audio's Air Pulse 3!

Platinum_Audio_Air_Pulse_3_.jpg

david

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Yes, they are too collectible ... :cool: It is my second pair, I have owned pair 0001-0002 and sold it, but later got a mint pair.
As you say they are nice sized for collecting, but the four packing boxes take a lot of space!

Yes I've owned the Speakers as well--a true Classic Mini Monitor you just needed to handle the fragile Silver cable with care plus the Glue on the Welsh Slate tended to "dry out"

and come apart!

But oh the glorious Sound--true to the source

BruceD

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Well, some had me almost convinced that speakers were not "collectible". Thanks microstrip for starting this thread and encouraging the discussion. My nomination is the Magico Mini. Some think it redefined what a "mini-monitor" could sound like. I think they sound wonderful and look great. They are fairly rare and prices are reasonable. I think they will find their way into may second systems. I'm not planning on buying new speakers any time soon, but if I did, I would probably hold onto my pair of Mini IIs.

This model introduced Magico to the audiophile public and launched the brand, which is now a presence in our hobby.

View attachment 28894

A true classic and the best small monitor I've ever heard. The wood Magico's were so visually appealing, its a shame they moved away from that aesthetic.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
There are a number of wonderful collectable vintage speakers that I love but there's one that got away…:(.

View attachment 28898

david

They really look the business. I remember Jones from his AE days. Very good designer but his heart was elsewhere. Electric Guitars and Electric Bass.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
They really look the business. I remember Jones from his AE days. Very good designer but his heart was elsewhere. Electric Guitars and Electric Bass.

His timing was off, these speakers would do a lot better today than back in the 90's...

david

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

View attachment 28898
david

What a beautiful design concept. A perfect example of form follows function. Would love to hear these in action. I'd also vote for these along with the big Infinity IRS and Genesis speakers, probably a handful of the larger classic horn designs already mentioned as well as a shortlist of larger full range ribbon systems would be collectible candidates.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
His timing was off, these speakers would do a lot better today than back in the 90's...

david

I totally agree. I suppose if someone really wanted one today PJ could be enticed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing