Torus RM20

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I've read positive reviews re: the Torus RM20 power conditioner. I'd appreciate comments from anyone who's had experience with this unit. Thanks in advance..

es347

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
I've read positive reviews re: the Torus RM20 power conditioner. I'd appreciate comments from anyone who's had experience with this unit. Thanks in advance..

es347

Hello,

I've been using the RM20 for about 6mo in my system for the mono block amps only (Mola Mola Kaluga) and have been very happy with it. My Amps seem to have a bottomless pit of power while connected to it with zero hint of strain. Sq wise there has been no negatives to report either, no darkening of sound...etc that can be common with other brands are of conditioners.

I've done some high level grunge tests between the RM20 and stright wall connection using a meter that shows both voltage and noise and the noise level dropped by half when the meter is plugged into the RM20 using the same duplex. I've got pics of the readings but not at the moment.

Anyway, IMO I think this unit is ideal for big power amps first and foremost but I'm sure it can hold its own compared to other brands for front end components as well. I've picked up a Shunyata Denali for my front end gear but only because my amps are on the other side of the room from the front end gear otherwise I would have just used the RM20 for everything.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Have you compared the Torus to the Shunyata Denali driving the mono amps? Just wondering, as have heard good word of mouth for the Denali with mono amps.
Hello,

I've been using the RM20 for about 6mo in my system for the mono block amps only (Mola Mola Kaluga) and have been very happy with it. My Amps seem to have a bottomless pit of power while connected to it with zero hint of strain. Sq wise there has been no negatives to report either, no darkening of sound...etc that can be common with other brands are of conditioners.

I've done some high level grunge tests between the RM20 and stright wall connection using a meter that shows both voltage and noise and the noise level dropped by half when the meter is plugged into the RM20 using the same duplex. I've got pics of the readings but not at the moment.

Anyway, IMO I think this unit is ideal for big power amps first and foremost but I'm sure it can hold its own compared to other brands for front end components as well. I've picked up a Shunyata Denali for my front end gear but only because my amps are on the other side of the room from the front end gear otherwise I would have just used the RM20 for everything.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Have you compared the Torus to the Shunyata Denali driving the mono amps? Just wondering, as have heard good word of mouth for the Denali with mono amps.

The Denali is scheduled to drop today by UPS so I haven't heard it yet. But with that said, I have no intentions of using it on my amps as a replacement for the TorusRM20.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Hello,

Thanks cjf...could you try and describe the sonic improvements with the RM20 on your monos? I'm running MAC 601s and am considering the RM20..

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I've had the AVR15 for a few years now and it has worked nicely. I like the voltage regulation aspect of that series, but if not required the RM would suffice. It was not life changing sound improvement fyi as I'm in a new building - but with 500 neighbors I figured a wise idea.

Been meaning to try an Audience AR-6 on the other end of the spectrum, but have had other priorities.

I've also found Torus an excellent company to work with and have extremely good customer service.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Thanks cjf...could you try and describe the sonic improvements with the RM20 on your monos? I'm running MAC 601s and am considering the RM20..

Hello,

Since its been over 6mo since I last installed the RM20 I don’t think I could describe in too much detail how they effected SQ. I do recall there being positive results in a few areas mainly related to bass output (more authoritative and textured at all volumes). What I can say with certainty is that I didn’t notice any negative effects in terms of power limiting or darkening of the sound which were the two main areas of concern I had leading up to its arrival. I was of the mind that if any other positives were to occur then I was just going to chalk them up as an added bonus.

Depending on how much power you utilize from your MAC 601's and depending if those Amps keeping doubling down in power into 2ohm loads the RM20 could potentially run out of steam in your setup since the RM20 is only rated to 2400w max output. At my Amps max output rating into 2ohms I am just touching that value but given the fact that my speakers are only rated to 500w each I dont think this will ever be of concern. Plus, if your not using a conditioner currently and just going home run to the wall, like I was previously, no matter how you slice it, the RM20 will deliver more juice than the wall could on its own during transients and power hungry passages at high volume. So no harm, no foul either way.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Hello,

Since its been over 6mo since I last installed the RM20 I don’t think I could describe in too much detail how they effected SQ. I do recall there being positive results in a few areas mainly related to bass output (more authoritative and textured at all volumes). What I can say with certainty is that I didn’t notice any negative effects in terms of power limiting or darkening of the sound which were the two main areas of concern I had leading up to its arrival. I was of the mind that if any other positives were to occur then I was just going to chalk them up as an added bonus.

Depending on how much power you utilize from your MAC 601's and depending if those Amps keeping doubling down in power into 2ohm loads the RM20 could potentially run out of steam in your setup since the RM20 is only rated to 2400w max output. At my Amps max output rating into 2ohms I am just touching that value but given the fact that my speakers are only rated to 500w each I dont think this will ever be of concern. Plus, if your not using a conditioner currently and just going home run to the wall, like I was previously, no matter how you slice it, the RM20 will deliver more juice than the wall could on its own during transients and power hungry passages at high volume. So no harm, no foul either way.

..thanks for an informative response

George K

Jul 26, 2012
I love my torus rm16 CE. The sq upgrade is phenomenal, 3D, plus you have that "insurance" feeling for your equipment.

I strongly suggest to plug all your devices on Torus. There is a certain common grounding benefit that all devices should share. But you have to pick the right Torus in order to support all devices.

I've also tested adding an extra Torus mini or tot max for digital smps appliances further isolating from other devices. I plugged it on my rm16 And it worked great. Isolation of servers, NAS, routers etc seems critical from contaminating other gear. Sound wise the bottom had more definition and clarity. I will order a tot mini in the future.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..I hope I don't regret posting this but as far as power goes I've run 3/C #12 stranded/shielded cable (hard to find by the way) from a 20a breaker in the panel terminated on two Hubbel hospital grade duplex receptacles. My monoblocks plug directly into the wall...everything else is fed from an ancient PowerWedge 116 mkII. Dead quiet...blackest of black backgrounds, etc...add the standard hyperbole. I realize this setup is anything but SOTA but damn fellas, it sounds downright awesome. Ok fire up those flamethrowers... ;)

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Hello
My Torus AVR16 CE replaced my Bybee "Holographic" and I am more than happy with it. Ambiances, bass, dynamics, black background, all the audiophile words commonly used can be said once more.
I connected my tube mono amps, preamp, TT, tuner and server +Dac. In my audiophile life I have had the LessLoss (the first one), the Acoustic Revive, Bybee Stealth and Holographic, but the Torus is a keeper and the power regulation is good for tubes lives. If I had the money maybe I should have tried the Accuphase PS 1220, but too much expensive for me.

Chuck Lee

Feb 5, 2015
I've had my RM 20 for a year.I used to have a Furman 20 amp balanced conditioner that would develop transformer noise from time to time.Also have used a Shunyata Hydra 8 . The Furutech and Hydra were powered on 20 amp dedicated lines at different times but using the same lines.
The Torus is wired completely different-it's wired for 240-so not the same single 20 amp breaker.
The Ground is wired correctly at the panel.
There is no transformer noise or extraneous buzzes at any time.
The sound is never constrained or lacking body.
The company is approachable and will answer your questions.
The RM 20 has made my system perform better than anything I have used before it,mostly due to the true balanced configuration at the panel I would think.
In my opinion,if you have to connect your gear to the wall,you may find you have a bit more body than running into a power conditioner that plugs into the wall in a standard 15 amp set up.But… along with the added body you will be adding extra noise.Some folks feel that wall plugging is the only way to go,but I've been there, and it's not.
Even if you run dedicated 20 amp lines,which makes an improvement you will hear,it gets better when you throw in some power conditioning..
For me,the RM 20 fills the bill.I can't say it's the best there is, but it's the best I've owned.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you very much for this report.

Just out of curiosity have you ever compared the sonic results of a Torus isolation transformer-only device versus the Torus isolation transformer device combined with the 240VAC balanced power feature?

Chuck Lee

Feb 5, 2015
My experience with plug into the wall power conditioners is limited to only the devices I've mentioned.
Both did change the sound of the system that was plugged into them.Both had distinct sonic traits.Some times I preferred one over the other,but could and did live with either.The Furman was great until the transformer would create noise.Sometimes the Hydra blunted transients.The RM 20 doesn't do any of that. I think that it's success has everything to do with how it is configured at the panel,so I would think a Standard Torus would not be at this level and closer to other units that you plug into the wall.I would suggest that you check out the Torus site and see what they have to say about each approach.Not everyone has access to the panel(Apartment dwellers)and some folks might not be easy wiring something up like this.That's why they also make conventional units.I have an electrician friend who also is an audiophile.He has a standard Torus and said that the RM 20 would be his first choice, but one didn't come up used when he was looking.Torus I think has some solid reasons for going balanced at the panel which my friend is in total agreement with.

Reactions: yyzSB

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing