Transparent Opus Power Isolator - new offering

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I'll be interested to know how it sounds. Which component are you getting this for, or did you order a few? The claim is that it offers all of the advantages of great filtration but that it does not at all restrict current flow. At least that is what I gather from the press release, copied below:

TRANSPARENT logo
Transparent Power Perfected
Transparent's REFERENCE Power Cord and XL Power Cord
For the first time ever, Transparent Audio's ultimate statement in audio perfection, the OPUS series, expands to incorporate a new standard in power conditioning and line filtration— meet the Transparent OPUS PowerIsolator.

Power Conditioning Without Compromise

The groundbreaking Transparent Generation 5 Power Conditioning Filter Technology introduced in the new OPUS PowerIsolator snuffs out broadband AC power line noise without restricting current or introducing phase shift. Designed to work in perfect harmony with its included 20-amp IEC OPUS Power Cord, OPI is ready to deliver limitless current and noise-free, in-phase power.

Most other power conditioning solutions reduce some AC noise, but they also restrict instantaneous current flow and alter the phase of the power signal — a condition that introduces noise and shifts the tonal balance performance of the system. OPI in combination with OPUS Power Cords ensures that your system is free to reveal all the dynamic complexity and energy and the pure and natural instrumental tonality encoded in your favorite music sources.

Resonance Control

With OPI’s curvaceous carbon fiber form, there can be no mistaking its OPUS lineage. Like OPUS Speaker Cable, OPI’s epoxy-loaded, fully damped carbon-fiber carapace blocks vibrations and allows electromagnetic fields to fully expand. The OPI center of gravity is also low and wide which further ensures that any excess energy broadly dissipates away from the filter circuitry. Adjustable for hard or carpeted surfaces, precision machined isolation feet keep OPI stable and decoupled from floor vibrations.

OPUS PowerIsolator (Rear Panel)

Filter Technology

Painstakingly constructed with multi-step measurements and circuit adjustments, the OPI filter circuit is also calibrated to the filter characteristics of the included OPUS Power Cord and to the end user’s AC voltage and frequency. OPUS Power Cord conductors serve to link the OPI filter circuit from input to output, and the filter characteristics of the OPI conductors are also an important part of the measurement process and filter circuit calibration. OPI’s parallel noise filtering circuit results in full, free, instantaneous current flow, thereby allowing your system to deliver untethered musical dynamics. Likewise, the parallel hydraulic magnetic circuit breaker provides failsafe circuit protection without limiting current.

Features
Broadband power line noise filtering with ideal power factor correction
Free current flow without restriction
Two identical high-current, grounded, surge protected outlets
Detachable 2-meter OPUS Power Cord included
Available in USA, UK, EU and other power applications

OPUS Power Cord

To harness the optimal performance from OPUS PowerIsolator use with a dedicated AC circuit and a single component, and use an OPUS Power Cord for each component connection.

Suggested retail price for the OPUS PowerIsolator is $15,950 USD
and includes a 2m input OPUS Power Cord

For more information call 207.284.1100

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I was first going to try it on my phono pre and pre amp. Keeping the Shunyata Triton/Typhon/DPC6 on my digital. I do think I'll try the DPC6 (with the 4 Vivaldi components) into this as well. Finally will try the pre/amp ... so a few combinations

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Congratulations, John. When do you take delivery? Please share your thoughts after having heard it in your system.

Early Oct...and for sure will post after I get some time with it...

chrisr

Member Sponsor
Aug 29, 2011
Chicago area
This looks cool. But for the price of 2 of these, I wonder if a Stromtank would give more bang for the buck since it disconnects from the wall power entirely when on battery.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
This looks cool. But for the price of 2 of these, I wonder if a Stromtank would give more bang for the buck since it disconnects from the wall power entirely when on battery.

I saw the Stromtank at RMAF last year and again at one of Paragon's events last fall. Pretty interesting.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fantastic JFrech! Look forward to your report!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

I've seen pics of it. Pretty interesting component.

Most of my gear is designed for AC. However my Nagra VPS has a DC input. I did try a Red Wine Audio Black Lightning. It certainly lowered the noise. Better detail/resolution/staging etc etc...but I felt over time it was missing on dynamics vs a Shunyata Triton/Typhon/Sigma Analog combination. The RWA was pretty much a battery and a charging circuit (which I ran with out during listening). Nagra came out with their own battery supply and improved AC supply Nagra MPS. Interesting when you take the cover off of this the battery seems to be feeding a bank of capacitors some other circuitry before it goes out the the DC input on the VPS. This has the same beneficial noise floor/resolution&staging improvements with out so much of a issue on dynamics. The Nagra MPS is interesting b/c you can switch on the battery or AC with one click and no interruption of power to the phono stage.

I still think AC in this scenario offers the best dynamics.

So curious how the Opus Isolator sounds in my system.

I'd like to hear a Stromtank one day...more curiosity...but my battery experience <so far> isn't yielding advances on all fronts...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
My 2 Opus Isolator's shipped today ! So in a few days I'll have em to begin breaking in and listening...very curious about these given my fondness for the Opus Power Cords...

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
My 2 Opus Isolator's shipped today ! So in a few days I'll have em to begin breaking in and listening...very curious about these given my fondness for the Opus Power Cords...

Looking forward to your observations.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

pessoa00

Feb 25, 2015
I decided to order one. Ditto my dealer. I've thoroughly loved the Transparent Opus and Opus Source power cords I have in my system...

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/a031798cc2f21b387f196c87e/files/OPUS_POWER_ISOLATOR_Info_Price_Sheet.pdf

View attachment 28878

I'm also a Transparent fan (all signal and digital cables in my system are transparent), but I'm curious how this 16k power isolator compares with the 3k 2000T Denali as they seem to have similar purposes.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I'm also a Transparent fan (all signal and digital cables in my system are transparent), but I'm curious how this 16k power isolator compares with the 3k 2000T Denali as they seem to have similar purposes.

I did get to try a 2000t and 6000t in my system. I own the Tritonv2/Typhon/DPC-6v2. I preferred the shunyata upper models. (Audiostream recently reviewed the 6000t to a similar conclusion). That said, the 2000t/6000t are pretty neat at their price points ! I'll have my Opus Isolators installed today...will comment after they cook for a few days...

pessoa00

Feb 25, 2015
I did get to try a 2000t and 6000t in my system. I own the Tritonv2/Typhon/DPC-6v2. I preferred the shunyata upper models. (Audiostream recently reviewed the 6000t to a similar conclusion). That said, the 2000t/6000t are pretty neat at their price points ! I'll have my Opus Isolators installed today...will comment after they cook for a few days...

I'm looking forward to know your take on this isolator. Thanks

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I'm looking forward to know your take on this isolator. Thanks

Well, I should really wait longer...only been outa the boxes and playing for about a hour. It's pretty remarkable brand new/not broken in.

Hearing things I've never heard before in recordings...

I have the DPC-6 into one Opus Isolator. Both the DPC-6 and Opus Isolator using Opus power cords. The preamp and phono stage on 2nd Opus Isolator with Opus Power cord. I'll spin some vinyl tomorrow...just digital so far...

Reactions: dgale

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
great stuff Jfrech!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
So ~4 days playing time now. 2 days at my dealer and 2 days in my system.

It's definitely lower noise, higher resolution, more natural (in my opinion), better textures vs my prior set up. Now possesses a richness/wetness on the notes top to bottom that is just intoxicating. Don't read this as warm and rolled off. It's more extended top to bottom than before with more energy on the notes. I continue to hear things in recordings I've never noticed before.

It's just more interesting to listen to.

On vinyl, almost feels like I got a new cartridge...it's that order of magnitude better.

I am sure I have a few more weeks of breakin...just a point in time update...

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
So ~4 days playing time now. 2 days at my dealer and 2 days in my system.

It's definitely lower noise, higher resolution, more natural, better textures vs my prior set up. Now possesses a richness/wetness on the notes top to bottom that is just intoxicating. Don't read this as warm and rolled off. It's more extended top to bottom than before with more energy on the notes. I continue to hear things in recordings I've never noticed before.

It's just more interesting to listen to.

On vinyl, almost feels like I got a new cartridge...it's that order of magnitude better.

I am sure I have a few more weeks of breakin...just a point in time update...

Congratulations, John. But be careful about using that pesky word, "natural". It is highly subjective and can't be measured.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing