Nice Room ! ... How real can this be ??

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Nice Room ! ... How real can this sound ?

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Looks just sooooo gorgeous !

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Looks just sooooo gorgeous !

But it might sound pretty bad. You would overlay a prominent acoustic on all the acoustics captured in the recordings to be reproduced. A 'double acoustics' event if you will. A rather messy affair.

Some dry recordings might sound somewhat decent.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
But it might sound pretty bad. You would overlay a prominent acoustic on all the acoustics captured in the recordings to be reproduced. A 'double acoustics' event if you will. A rather messy affair.

That's a thought .... But color me impressed, if you can identify which hall it is from a recording ....in a blind test :cool:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

for a photo shoot it's beautiful.

but it would sound like crap.......likely even worse than this one......which was terrible....

small acoustic space gear, large acoustic environment......does not work.

wild_thing_3.jpg

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

On a scale from 0 to 10, i'll give this one 8.5 for Marketing. Pictures are gorgeous.

I would like to know a bit more about the Avant Guarde Basshorn.. have the feeling that massive amount of EQ is used in it. Horns seems small to go very low without substantial EQ ...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi

On a scale from 0 to 10, i'll give this one 8.5 for Marketing. Pictures are gorgeous.

I would like to know a bit more about the Avant Guarde Basshorn.. have the feeling that massive amount of EQ is used in it. Horns seems small to go very low without substantial EQ ...

There is a whole thread of AG. The woofers take over at 120 and actually you need only two, not 6, which they show in their photo shoot. If you have more money, add two more. Like I suggested, do an EU tour.

Frankfurt is the AG factory. It also has a nice Full Range.
Holland has Grands
And Leipzig has Western Electrics.
Paris has Tune Audio Anima.

All very different sounds. 4 days should be sufficient. I would personally also look at hORNS Universum

The factory should also be able to answer most questions.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
b75

I believe in distributed subs.. Googling the AG Basshorns, these are DSP-controlled Basshorns. Not saying they aren't good. Simply that there are better ways to build subwoofers and that my hunch was correct they are EQ'd. Of course once a person decides that Basshorn are necessary so that the entire system is horn then that is fine.

I don't care enough about the Grand to travel to listen to them. I had Apogee, I have had planars for most of my audiophile life and do believe that cones and horns/CD have arrived.
Never heard the Western Electrics so can't say much about them. Heard the JBL DD9800 (or such, the 3-way model with two 15 inch and horns integrated with the cabinet ) and it sounded sublimely good. I will likely go JBL or Geddes.
AG are good but I don't consider these to be the best horns available that I've heard . There are better horns IMO both objectively and subjectively and at less loftier prices.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
b75

I believe in distributed subs.. Googling the AG Basshorns, these are DSP-controlled Basshorns. Not saying they aren't good. Simply that there are better ways to build subwoofers and that my hunch was correct they are EQ'd. Of course once a person decides that Basshorn are necessary so that the entire system is horn then that is fine.

I don't care enough about the Grand to travel to listen to them. I had Apogee, I have had planars for most of my audiophile life and do believe that cones and horns/CD have arrived.
Never heard the Western Electrics so can't say much about them. Heard the JBL DD9800 (or such, the 3-way model with two 15 inch and horns integrated with the cabinet ) and it sounded sublimely good. I will likely go JBL or Geddes.
AG are good but I don't consider these to be the best horns available that I've heard . There are better horns IMO both objectively and subjectively and at less loftier prices.

Understand, you won't travel to hear what you haven't heard because you believe in the powers of extrapolating experience. I have heard JBL 66000 twice in private set ups with 4 different amps and JBL 4520, and have heard the JBL K2 series at shows so won't go near them. Btw, the horns haven't arrived, they were already there since 1920s. Cones have to arrive.

Since you mentioned AG, have you heard the Trios with the bass horns?

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
b75

Have heard Trios without Basshorns. good not that great IMO. I prefer the JBL. I have heard and even an Altec Lansing VTT which I prefered to the AG I heard.
Horns weren't, aren't uniformly good. Some are atrocious, then again it is the same for any technology. While I respect the old, I would think that 30 years ago what I heard from many horns was a pronounced coloration, the cupping hand coloration. The Altec Lansing VTT were vintage and did not have this coloration nor did the JBL I heard. Different strokes for different people. I have the greatest suspicion for those horns speakers were the acoustic center of the drivers is so much spread that I can't see how those different drivers would ever coincide. I can understand the nostalgia and perhaps the sheer intimidation brought by the price and perhaps peer pressure, but definitely these are not for me. The AG with the drivers/horns mounted in a circle belong to this category,
Shows are not the best venues to make a final decision. We , all , have heard systems which sounded poorly at shows, only to show a different color once placed in a suitable environment ... On this I would very much acquire the JBL K2 M9500 used if they can be found.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I heard only the K2 at shows, did not like them as much as the others heard privately, and similar, otherwise I wouldn't have made decisions based on shows.

I am too young to be nostalgic. Your nostalgia and peer pressure comments made as much sense as me saying I understand the intimidation you feel by reading forums and needing to confirm to the younger generation by listening to digital.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Btw, you missed the point that I gave you very different sound systems, of which you have heard none except the trio without a bass horn

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing