First Magico M3 review

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I just read the review. Very positive, but I would expect that having heard the MPro many times.

STOP THE PRESSES!!! Valin used the term "natural" to describe the sound of the M3 at least three times. I almost never see that term used by reviewers, and much less, in reviews of Magico speakers. I think this is a very interesting development.

Also interesting is his attributing the sound to the speakers and not to the other components in this incredible system and room. He listens to his own LPs and yet does not seem to mention the possible contribution of the Kronos Pro turntable, arm or cartridge to the sound. Perhaps they are partially responsible for why he thinks it sounds different, and better, than the Mpros in his system which has the Walker turntable.

In my mind, these kinds of listening impressions, of systems in rooms different from the reviewer's own system and room, should be referencing the system, not specifically the speakers. I suppose he is familiar with the room and much of the gear, but still...

Also interesting is that this is the first (official) mention of a new M line, and perhaps the end of the Q lineup. I read somewhere that the price has already gone up to $82K from $75K, but that might be with the MPods/stand option. Either way, a possible M Mini or M1 would be extremely exciting, but ultra expensive for a two way.

I could see a M3/Qsub combination in the $100K range in a large room as being a superb option.

There seems little doubt that this speaker is extremely good. And some will soon be in the hands of WBF members for future reporting. All exciting stuff, IMO.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Many people believe the Venere outperforms the Aida in most rooms yet is priced quite a bit lower.

Can you tell us who are these many people who think that the Venere outperforms the Aida in most rooms?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Collectible does mean an item that is of interest to a collector. Nothing to do with price. There are all sorts of examples, perhaps fewer in audio, though some in vintage audio. The MPro might be one of those in the future. I happen to think it will be, but others may disagree.

IMHO collectible is also reflected by the price interested people are wanting to pay for it. Our Mini II's are not collectible - they are excellent speakers, they are part of the TAS list of influencing speakers, but they will never be in the collectible zone. I will open a separate thread on this interesting subject soon.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reading these speaker threads and the exchange between Bonzo and Frantz makes me wonder who is going to get to the finish line first :). I've been reading about Frantz decision on speakers for over 6 years and Ked's now for over 2 years and am wondering when one of you will finally pull the trigger

My decision is done on speakers. Search is over. Only purchase action left.

Frantz's search is tougher because just like DDK makes sure he find a speaker that sounds good with his Lamm SET Frantz wants one that sounds good with his class D so I can see why it is taking him 6 years.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
During a discussion with some of Sonus Faber's designers they indicated they don't build a speaker to a price point rather they design it the best they can and then price it out. Many people believe the Venere outperforms the Aida in most rooms yet is priced quite a bit lower.

Don't want to derail this thread but I couldn't let Jim's Sonus Faber statement pass without comment . People believe the Sonus Faber Venere outperforms Aida? Am I missing something? A $5,000 speaker vs a $125,000 speaker? Are we talking about the same speakers?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Can you tell us who are these many people who think that the Venere outperforms the Aida in most rooms?

Sorry, you beat me to it.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Reading these speaker threads and the exchange between Bonzo and Frantz makes me wonder who is going to get to the finish line first :). I've been reading about Frantz decision on speakers for over 6 years and Ked's now for over 2 years and am wondering when one of you will finally pull the trigger
Enjoying and learning from a pair of Kef LS 50 and 4 SVS subwoofer in a Geddes configuration. Part of the system is BADA DACII ( Favorite of the 4 DACs currently the rotation) + Burmester 911 Mark III. Satisfying for many but I have heard and have had better in term of overall sound. Seriously considering Horns at this point.
I continue to enjoy Headphones and they have become my reference in term of clarity, tonality and low distortion. Thus my penchant for horns. Have made a conscious decision not to throw money at the problem. Have had some slight changes in Philosophy: Previously though that room treatment was universal. Realizing that now it is speaker dependent. Patiently learning the ropes of DSP, not a given, takes a while to learn how to measure. I thought I knew how.. I didn't. I refer those interested in measuring and perhaps make their systems better to read on Amir's more than excellent
ROOM Measurements for Dummies Part1
&
Part 2

I have enjoyed music a lot those past few years .. I have learned a lot and continue to learn. I do know where I should be heading. In the midst of that I learn that speakers approximate real music better than headphones however excellent or superior IMHO those can be.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Enjoying and learning from a pair of Kef LS 50 and 4 SVS subwoofer in a Geddes configuration. (...)

It would be great if you could post a REW graph showing the response without and with 1, 2, 3 and 4 subs in a Geddes configuration.

IMHO this sequential adjustment is the critical and cumbersome part of the process - if you make a poor adjustment with one subwoofer you can not compensate it later in the next subwoofer.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
It would be great if you could post a REW graph showing the response without and with 1, 2, 3 and 4 subs in a Geddes configuration.

IMHO this sequential adjustment is the critical and cumbersome part of the process - if you make a poor adjustment with one subwoofer you can not compensate it later in the next subwoofer.

Will do that in a few weeks... This thread is veering off the OP by a few miles :).. This is however what makes this WBF interesting.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Will do that in a few weeks... This thread is veering off the OP by a few miles :).. This is however what makes this WBF interesting.

Indeed. Threads will always veer off the OP, which is natural.

While we're at it: which are the other 3 DACs in rotation in your system, and why do you prefer the BADA DAC 2? (Which I have as well, of course, and have found a new appreciation for lately with speaker changes.)

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Indeed. Threads will always veer off the OP, which is natural.

While we're at it: which are the other 3 DACs in rotation in your system, and why do you prefer the BADA DAC 2? (Which I have as well, of course, and have found a new appreciation for lately with speaker changes.)

iFi micro iDSD, M2Tech Young, Auralic Vega.

The BADA DAC II is to my ear one of the best DAC I have heard. Trying not to succumb to the audiophiles tendency to separate music into frequency bands... Yet it allows us to describe best what we hear. The midrange of the BADA is one of the purest I have heard from any component. It doesn't add anything to the reproduction. it simply is as it should a female voice remains that a female voice, a female with a low voice is reproduced that way ... not as a mellow voice ... Bass is the best of any DAC I have or compared it to... The level of noise is non-existent and the darn thing drive most cable and amps as if it was a dedicated line stage only+. As for the treble this DAC would have many reconsidering what they thought of digital treble reproduction. The Vega is good perhaps close but as they say no cigar ... The iFi Micro DSD is one of those interesting product that audiophiles should know about if only as recommendation to a budding audiophile : Price is labut $499 but it may run circle around many much more expensive DAC. It will drive any headphone on the planet, power your smartphone with its battery while accepting everything up to 5.36 MHz DSD and 384 Kbps PCM. It has a more than decent headphone amplifier as previously mentioned but the DAC is rather surprising. The M2Tech is a good DAC and I still like it. It has taken permanent residence in my office driving the eternally good Dynaudio BM6A.
For critical evaluation I use most often my Favorite HEadphones the Hifiman He600 driven by the 911 (indeed but with a DIY attenuator resistor network) but also my second favorite the STX SR-009 driven by the Stax 007 Energizer... No preamp and all evaluations performed in-the-know :D

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Frantz, can you please stay on topic????

Just kidding. :) I appreciate your thoughts on the DACs. I hear Al's BADA2 regularly enough to agree that it's a very good DAC. I have a friend selling one cheap and if I had a little bit of extra cash I'd buy it because it's a bargain.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Just read the article more carefully. A 22 x 33 x 14 feet SOTA treated room - surely a great listening session and an enjoyable reading, but IMHO the referred comparisons concerning soundstage and disappearing act can be highly misleading for the reader.

Does any one know what is the efficiency of the M3? BTW, the M3 looks gorgeous with the new cap and carbon fiber panels - the first Magico to rub shoulders with the Mini II in looks!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Thanks, Frantz, for your thoughts on the diverse DACs.

As for the treble performance of the Berkeley Alpha DAC 2 (BADA 2) that you highlight, Madfloyd regularly comments on his visits to hear my system how good cymbals (jazz, rock) sound (on regular Redbook CD no less). A good part of this has to do with the amps' performance, but obviously as the source the BADA is uniquely important to this as well.

Interesting that in your view the BADA's treble performance exceeds that of the Auralic Vega. At the time everybody was raving about the femto clock of the Auralic that our regular BADA 2 doesn't have (the Berkeley Reference DAC has a superior clock), but technology is all about implementation, and there must be something that Berkeley Audio does right in other areas on its standard Alpha DAC 2.

I guess people, including here at WBF, get hung up way too much on technology itself, rather than the skill and level of its implementation. This holds for all kinds of topics, including tubes vs. SS and analog vs. digital.

Getting back on topic, people also get regularly hung up on the new driver technologies in Magico speakers. While those are important in themselves, what sets Magico also apart is again -- skillful implementation.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Just read the article more carefully. A 22 x 33 x 14 feet SOTA treated room - surely a great listening session and an enjoyable reading, but IMHO the referred comparisons concerning soundstage and disappearing act can be highly misleading for the reader.

Does any one know what is the efficiency of the M3? BTW, the M3 looks gorgeous with the new cap and carbon fiber panels - the first Magico to rub shoulders with the Mini II in looks!

Funny you should write this. I said that the moment I first saw an image of the MPro. The curved front baffle (of the Q series) and curved sides (of the S series) combined first in the Mini, and now in the new M series, are really a great combination, both in sonics and aesthetics. The M3 is indeed gorgeous.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Very good point, and I fully agree.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
The M3's are 91db efficient.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing