ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
"Wolf claims that the M3 is the most technologically sophisticated speaker he has made. In fact, he thinks it is his best work—but then he always thinks his newest babies are his best work. This time, however, he might be right."

Gee, another M5/Q5 scenario.

Now the people who paid $129k for the limited-edition M Projects are left holding the bag.

Last edited:

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Seems a goodie ... Assume the M5 n M7 will follow .

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Except that he already has an M5 :eek:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Except that he already has an M5 :eek:

Not a big deal. It will be the new M5, like we have the new Civics, new Merc E-class etc every couple of years.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Hope this is not construed as a thread crapper.

I sincerely wonder how better these new models are compared to the old? Different? Likely? Better? In what ways? The passion and OCD that are endemic to our hobby, insure that we will think we hear "new" things from a component that may only sound different. Once we have digested the marketing-babble or the infomercials that reviews have become (or always were), we then proceed to truly hear things that were there all along as "new". From that point it is better until the next model ... More money is the only constant however.

There will be other models in the serie for sure with an M7 priced between the Q7 and the Ultimate ... The S series were too close to the Q for comfort :)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi

Hope this is not construed as a thread crapper.

I sincerely wonder how better these new models are compared to the old? Different? Likely? Better? In what ways? The passion and OCD that are endemic to our hobby, insure that we will think we hear "new" things from a component that may only sound different. Once we have digested the marketing-babble or the infomercials that reviews have become (or always were), we then proceed to truly hear things that were there all along as "new". From that point it is better until the next model ... More money is the only constant however.

There will be other models in the serie for sure with an M7 priced between the Q7 and the Ultimate ... The S series were too close to the Q for comfort :)

More money is not always a constant, however. Remember the just mentioned M5/Q5. The newer model cost less and some thought sounded better. And the Mini II/Q1. The newer model cost less, and some thought sounded better. And if the current M3 review is to be believed, with the MPro/M3, the newer model costs less, though it has smaller bass drivers and may not be as extended.

I would have no regrets if I owned the M Pro. It is an incredible speaker which had a limited production and should be enjoyable, valuable, and collectible for years to come.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
More money is not always a constant, however. Remember the just mentioned M5/Q5. The newer model cost less and some thought sounded better. And the Mini II/Q1. The newer model cost less, and some thought sounded better. And if the current M3 review is to be believed, with the MPro/M3, the newer model costs less, though it has smaller bass drivers and may not be as extended.

I would have no regrets if I owned the M Pro. It is an incredible speaker which had a limited production and should be enjoyable, valuable, and collectible for years to come.

I haven't heard the MProt but did hear and at length the Q3.. Still in the running IMO. An excellent speaker whose price and position in the lineup (4th in the Magico lineup) would have some people dismissing it as SOTA speaker. Would say the same about the Revel Salon TOL but it requires too powerful an amp.
As for the pricing you could be right on these specific models but Magico is making sure of such faux-pas never to be repeated :)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Like JV, I listen to MPros on a daily basis and like him, I heard the M3's in Magico's room (just a couple days after him). To me it sounded like my MPros, but in a much larger room (i.e. speakers much further apart resulting in a much wider soundstage).

I really liked what I heard. More so with vinyl than digital (and not because I have a format preference). Unlike JV, I didn't get to play my own LPs, but I certainly didn't come away wishing I could have M3s over my MPros. Too many variables; I would have to hear both speakers in the same room with same electronics to form any comparison.

I am happy the M3 exists. More people will get to enjoy this technology.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Like JV, I listen to MPros on a daily basis and like him, I heard the M3's in Magico's room (just a couple days after him). To me it sounded like my MPros, but in a much larger room (i.e. speakers much further apart resulting in a much wider soundstage).

I really liked what I heard. More so with vinyl than digital (and not because I have a format preference). Unlike JV, I didn't get to play my own LPs, but I certainly didn't come away wishing I could have M3s over my MPros. Too many variables; I would have to hear both speakers in the same room with same electronics to form any comparison.

I am happy the M3 exists. More people will get to enjoy this technology.

Ian, VERY well said, and from someone that has actually heard/lived with the speakers. So much more interesting reading someone's real experience vs. "forum surmising".

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Reading these speaker threads and the exchange between Bonzo and Frantz makes me wonder who is going to get to the finish line first :). I've been reading about Frantz decision on speakers for over 6 years and Ked's now for over 2 years and am wondering when one of you will finally pull the trigger

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I would have no regrets if I owned the M Pro. It is an incredible speaker which had a limited production and should be enjoyable, valuable, and collectible for years to come.

Enjoyable surely. Collectible and valuable? I doubt. All these very expensive speakers devaluate a lot. It is part of the game. IMHO brands that keep introducing many models in a short time will never become valuable.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
reading these speaker threads and the exchange between bonzo and frantz makes me wonder who is going to get to the finish line first :). I've been reading about frantz decision on speakers for over 6 years and ked's now for over 2 years and am wondering when one of you will finally pull the trigger

Should we carry a poll? :D:D:D

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
"Wolf claims that the M3 is the most technologically sophisticated speaker he has made. In fact, he thinks it is his best work—but then he always thinks his newest babies are his best work. This time, however, he might be right."

Gee, another M5/Q5 scenario.

Now the people who paid $129k for the limited-edition M Projects are left holding the bag.

How is this another M5/Q5 scenario?

Why are people who paid full price for the M Projects left holding the bag?

I don't follow your thinking.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
How is this another M5/Q5 scenario?

Why are people who paid full price for the M Projects left holding the bag?

I don't follow your thinking.

I kind of agree with you. There is no rule that you have to price your latest (and questionably your best performing) speaker above the previous top model. When the Sasha was intorduced it was priced lower and performed better than the outgoing WP8. During a discussion with some of Sonus Faber's designers they indicated they don't build a speaker to a price point rather they design it the best they can and then price it out. Many people believe the Venere outperforms the Aida in most rooms yet is priced quite a bit lower.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Reading these speaker threads and the exchange between Bonzo and Frantz makes me wonder who is going to get to the finish line first :). I've been reading about Frantz decision on speakers for over 6 years and Ked's now for over 2 years and am wondering when one of you will finally pull the trigger

I suspect it will be sometime after the next president's first term. Can't speculate as to who will be first to pull the trigger, but they may each have speakers before I decide to sell mine.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Enjoyable surely. Collectible and valuable? I doubt. All these very expensive speakers devaluate a lot. It is part of the game. IMHO brands that keep introducing many models in a short time will never become valuable.

I think the MPro is beautiful and limited and will always sound good. For those reasons, I think it will be collectible. Those who buy the first batch of used ones should have very good value, similar to those who buy the Mini 2 now. In that sense, it will have value. Perhaps not for the original owners who paid full retail. I think the same will be true for used Q3s. Just my opinion.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Collectible usually means people will pay even more than original retail, and in most cases, buy more than one unit. I also doubt any speaker meets that definition of 'collectible'.

Back to the M3 - Ian and others should chime in here, but I seriously doubt the M3 can go as low as the M-Pros and offer the same amount of volume at really low frequencies.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Collectible usually means people will pay even more than original retail, and in most cases, buy more than one unit. I also doubt any speaker meets that definition of 'collectible'.

Back to the M3 - Ian and others should chime in here, but I seriously doubt the M3 can go as low as the M-Pros and offer the same amount of volume at really low frequencies.

Collectible does mean an item that is of interest to a collector. Nothing to do with price. There are all sorts of examples, perhaps fewer in audio, though some in vintage audio. The MPro might be one of those in the future. I happen to think it will be, but others may disagree.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Collectible does mean an item that is of interest to a collector. Nothing to do with price. There are all sorts of examples, perhaps fewer in audio, though some in vintage audio. The MPro might be one of those in the future. I happen to think it will be, but others may disagree.

I guess there are people who simply buy and keep various turntables, amplifiers, and speakers and sometimes rotate them in... I happen to have both a R2R (and used to have two - a Tandberg 20A which I got rid of) and two cassette decks, all classics. In that sense, I agree.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing