Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gentle Giant or Shostakovich?

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!

Gentle Giant or Shostakovich?

During my prog rock era I was a big fan of Gentle Giant. I thought they were an original. For the past 3 years or so I have mainly listened to Classical music, and I gotta say I am very disappointed in one of my past favorite bands. Move over Led Zeppelin.

Why? Does it have to be one or the other? I like both
    Disclosure:
    Alma Music and Audio - San Diego, CA
    Air Tight - Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Roon - Solid Steel - Sound Galleries Music Server - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
    [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

Quote Originally Posted by elescher View Post
    During my prog rock era I was a big fan of Gentle Giant. I thought they were an original.
    Great and fantastic band.
    They were my favorite along with Traffic, Genesis (up to Selling England by the pound).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elescher View Post
    During my prog rock era I was a big fan of Gentle Giant. I thought they were an original. For the past 3 years or so I have mainly listened to Classical music, and I gotta say I am very disappointed in one of my past favorite bands. Move over Led Zeppelin.
    Interesting. I too am a fan of Led Zep, classical, and a Lampi owner. I like Shostakovich's violin concerto that Oistrakh played (recently saw it live, and am watching his 5th symphony soon).

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] FrantzM's Avatar
    Hi

Two very different approaches to music IMO... GG remains one of the best group ever. Progs Rock may use sometimes the structures of Western Classical Music but it is a different musical form nonetheless. I like both and feel no disappointment in listening to any Prog Rock.
    Frantz

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    —Carl Sagan
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    — E. F. Schumacher
    (mis-attributed to A. Einstein)

Quote Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
    Why? Does it have to be one or the other? I like both
    Don't get me wrong, I still listen/like both. My point is that at age 15 I didn't even know classical music existed, let alone Shostakovich. I just find it appauling that the whole Gentle Giant sound was IMO copied from him. Some of their songs are right out plagiarism.

Ah! Well, now you got me curious, as I've never established that connection GG x Shostakovich Can you point out some similaries/plagiarisms, as it sounds like fun

Another prog band I enjoy quite a bit is Renaissance, and they have lifted parts from classical pieces wholesale. In their case it was particularly easy as they usually recorded with an orchestra anyway...
    Disclosure:
    Alma Music and Audio - San Diego, CA
    Air Tight - Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Roon - Solid Steel - Sound Galleries Music Server - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
    [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
    As the Spirit vs LZ trial concerning Stairway To Heaven clearly demonstrated there is more than one way to skin a cat.
    I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
    John Adrian Spijkers - "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
    Dynavector DV20x2L - Genesis G7.1f - Marantz Reference PM KI Pearl - Nitty Gritty 2.5Fi - Oracle Paris Mk.V

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast