CJ ARTsa "all an amplifier can be"

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
G’day from down unda! Trust all is well and tunes are playing...

Over the last few months, had the pleasure of listening closely to some well-established names in the industry, and ones that I truly admire. Comparing overall sound & pricing, items listed:

Amplifiers: Conrad Johnson ARTsa, LP125sa, Audio Research Ref75, and GS150
Preamplifiers: CJ ET5, & Classic 2SE (with phono stage) and ARC GSPre
Speaker systems: Quad ESL2905 (my own pair) and Magnepan MG3.7i

Very interesting run this was, especially with Maggies. There weren’t too many amps that could bring out the best in maggies. Basically it was the ARTsa and GS150 that performed superbly well on the MG3.7i. Comparatively, two equally superb sounding amplifiers, matched with top end preamplifiers would probably make the difference.
The Ref75 seemed to struggle on the MG3.7i for some reason, it didn’t quite impress. Compared to my Classic 60SE, it had no problem driving maggies within limits of course. Since I do not listen to loud whatsoever, the Classic 60SE was quite marvellous on the maggies. Reminded me of those glorious days with the Premier 11A & MG3.5/R’

The Ref75 was however fantastic on the Quads, probably the best match overall. It was the most detailed, transparent, powerful and well controlled reproduction I had heard from my Quads to date in this price point. I first partnered it with the ET5 using adaptor cables since the ET5 doesn’t have provision for XLR connections. Even with the adaptors, the sound was mighty fine. Later on I tried the GSpre, which seemed a better synergy but lost that pure CJ airiness and smooth top end that CJ is known for. I could still happily live with the GSpre and Ref75 with the Quads but not on the maggies, the GS150 was a far better amplifier overall.

Driving the maggies with the CJ-LP125sa was not much of a difference either in terms of power. Though the GS150 did prove to be more controlled in the lower bass. The MG3.7i’s seemed to open up more each time more power was driving it. It would virtually react as a horn type speaker with startling transients, soft as a whisper with sudden acceleration of notes in a lightning bolt performance with the GS150. In conclusion, I really preferred this combination on maggies with the GSpre + GS150 amp, super control and sense of depth.

Now for Quads- driving it with the LP125sa and ARTsa once again didn’t seem much of a major difference in terms of power but when it came to that sweet expansive soundstage, along with superb depth and imaging, effortless transient response with the smoothest power & finesse, there really is nothing more of a total enjoyment listening to the ARTsa and Quads- simply superb!

The LP125sa had all the same virtues of that expansive soundstage, depth and imaging, smooth airy highs, extended top end and fantastic midrange, with superb musicality, it's just that the ARTsa takes this to another level.

In terms of preamps, there wasn’t a major difference in performance although there was a huge difference in pricing. The GSpre sounded superb and the simple CJ Classic 2SE was equally good on every recording I played (even Taylor Swift on regular CD sounded so detailed, never knew some of those details ever existed!). What I did notice on the preamps, as the price and level of sophistication went up, there are definite improvements along the way. That extra edge of finesses, tighter mid-lower bass, more open midrange & smoother highs with well controlled bass gets better as you go up in price but to me, it was only marginal. The power amps is what made the most biggest significant difference in sound.

Therefore, I would strongly recommend to anyone to focus your spend on the power amplifier, partnering it with any good quality preamp would work just fine. You really don’t need to spend 50 grand just for a top end pre-power combination. Of course for those who can afford anything, a top end preamp would be the ultimate match but I have learnt it is definitely not necessary.

Similar to when I listened to the GAT, GATS2 and my Act2, the improvements were only marginal and therefore to me could not justify the extra dollars, which was quite a fair jump in price. Sure the GATS2 sounds superb and so does the Classic 2Se and so does the ARC Ref6 & LS28 as well...
Since I prefer things to be simple, I really enjoyed the Classic 2SE and it’s built in phono stage, it is a true Classic! The Classic 2SE has that crisp feel to it, the level control and input selector. It has a very strong/solid click as you go through its input selection. It has a superb volume control range that does allow you to set micro levels compared to earlier versions, and most of all it is very musical!

In summary, I did enjoy very much the new ARC system of the GSpre + GS150 combination on the MG3.7i’s. This was a wonderful system to listen to, the synergy was just superb. The CJ-LP125sa does cost less than the GS150, and was also able to drive the maggies quite well. Therefore, if you are looking for something more affordable, the LP125sa will not disappoint. It is probably one of the best power amps CJ has ever produced in the 125w/ch price range. I highly recommend it.

Deciding factor: since I have Quads, the buck stops here! I have had so many problems with these dam stats, and so many wonderful times with them, therefore I am not looking to change these speakers whatsoever. All I can say is that the ARTsa & Classic 2SE was an outstanding combination on the Quads. I could not think of anything more simple, with just two controls and that LED in front, when powered up you know straight away that you’re in for a great ride! Both the line stage and phonostage are super quiet and respond extremely well, compared to other phono stages I’ve used. For those who can afford the top gear, the ET5 or GSpre would be an excellent combination or even the GAT S2 for that matter.

The CJ ARTsa is really all an amplifier can be!
Cheers to those who have the ARTsa, this is one of those best decisions in audio.
RJ

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great review. You've clearly been doing your homework...do you have any particular combination in mind to keep now?

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
G'day Lloyd,

Yes, I have decided on the ARTsa but that's going to be a long road. For me at this point in time, with slightly different priorities, the ARTsa is a long way off. I'm probably looking at around 4-5 years from now and maybe the ART amps would be out of production by then, don't know.

In the meantime it will be the CAV45 (integrated) plenty of power to drive the Quads no issues there whatsoever. I may head back to the Classic 60SE since I absolutely loved this amp but them my whole quest for upgrading in the direction of ART standard is negated. This also means I have to spend on a preamp since I don't have my ACT2 any longer.

I have definitely decided on the Classic 2SE with phono stage. It is nothing fancy nor sophisticated compared to the more costlier offerings but my golly what it can do is simply outstanding!

I'm also getting fed up of remote and having to locate it, I rather just get up and adjust volume when required, after all I think it is more healthier for us couch potatoes to get moving... I did really enjoy the ARC gear but they are nearly twice the price in Aus, and to me that cannot be justified. Overall CJ had that openness in the mids & highs that CJ is known for and the combination of the ARTsa with the Classic 2SE driving the Quads was something real special. Price wise, not too bad and can be managed if you control your finances properly. ARC and GAT might lead to homeless again, don't want to go there!

Cheers, RJ

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sounds like a great choice...and in 4-5 years, you'll be able to find an ARTsa 2nd hand for a fraction of the price...you are paying less by waiting!! Even better. Frankly, they are very easy to convert voltage...CJ will even send the diagrams to you if you need them to, and you could possibly get one anytime 2nd hand if you wish.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes, that is the best word of advice mate. Waiting for the right moment certainly pays off.

That is the main reason why I'm heading towards the CAV45. Pricing is quite close to that of the US but no so with the others such as, the LP125sa & upwards. The Cav45 and Classic 60SE plus the Classic preamps are very similar in pricing to the US for some reason, and I can acquire a brand new unit for that price. But anything higher in that range such as, ET3SE, ET5, GAT or ART there is a massive variance, and this I will certainly not pay for.

Again the best ever midrange produced on my Quads was from SET designs, and the Lamm's were the clear choice in that regard. But again I won't pay that kind of money for audio. In that case, Kondo amps would be my number one choice if cost was no barrier but that's drug money and not realistic income.

I have already owned my Quads since 2010, therefore another couple years into it with top end amps from CJ would be just fine. Who knows, I might get so used to the Cav45, might end up with just that! Talk about simplicity, I strongly believe the Classic 2SE deserves far more attention rather than labelling it as "entry level." It is certainly not entry level.

Will let you know how it goes, in the mean time I should have the CAV45 by Oct end, still hasn't arrived at my dealer mate's place. He's waiting on a big order, LP125sa, ARTsa, GATs2, Cav45 plus more preamps from the ET series line up, and more items from Jas Audio are on the way. I will probably audition all of these once again before making the final decision, as I'm also interested in the new SET amps from Jas Audio. Great products with outstanding value. Let's see how it goes.
Cheers, RJ

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Great post RJ. I am currently listening to the cj premier 350 again because of heat - still a great amplifier.

Just one point - IMHO your listening of the GS150 was limited by the GSpre. I have listened several times to the GS150, swapping between the GDpre and the REF5 SE and REF10 and the difference is very large, mainly scale, bass and air. Fortunately ARC has now the REF6 that matches the looks of the GS150!

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
yes! totally agree on the GSpre. it was no where close to any of the CJ preamps nor was it in equal class to the Arc Ref series but that's a whole different price level over here. The Ref 10 goes for around Aud$45k and the Ref6 is listed at 32k. The GS150 lists for 37k, so we're looking at over 70 grand just for a pre-power combination! that kind of money is an absolute crime!
that's why I did the comparisons starting with the classic 2se and GSpre. I intentionally didn't want to listen to any of Arc's top line Ref series pre's because of the price category, it just doesn't make any sense. Now the Ref75 goes for over 15k, just around last year it was listed at 10k.
again CJ simply beats all of these out of the park both in terms of value and performance.

The premier 350 is no doubt a superb creation in the art of amplification. what preamp are you using with the prem 350?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing