Anyone Heard the new CEC DA3.0 and TL3 Transport?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Seems like the legendary CEC is back in town with a major hit? Something that can compete with Vivaldi and the other SOTA digital and possibly surpass? Anyone know any more about it?

http://www.highfidelity.pl/@main-686&lang=en

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have considered a top CEC system when recently picking my next digital system - I owned until very recently a belt driven CEC TL1X transport, fitted with a high quality clock, and it sounded detailed, very refined and very analog like. The CEC was the second best source of digital for the Devialet in my system, only bettered by the Metronome Calypso Reference.

However the absence of network input and the fact that there is no local distribution (the units are manufactured in Japan) were two strong points that drove me away.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have considered a top CEC system when recently picking my next digital system - I owned until very recently a belt driven CEC TL1X transport, fitted with a high quality clock, and it sounded detailed, very refined and very analog like. The CEC was the second best source of digital for the Devialet in my system, only bettered by the Metronome Calypso Reference.

However the absence of network input and the fact that there is no local distribution (the units are manufactured in Japan) were two strong points that drove me away.

Hi Micro...thanks for that. I wonder if the new DA3 is different? • Input signal:
32/384 (USB) | 24/192 (other inputs)
Digital inputs:
• SUPERLINK: BNC x 4
• S/PDIF (RCA)
• TOSLINK
• AES/EBU
• USB 2.0: PCM 32 bits/32-384 kHz | DSD 64/2,8224-128/5,6448 MHz

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
And yes, Microstrip, having come 'this close' to going with a Metronome Kalista Ref Transport to my Zanden DAC (which a fellow Zanden DAC owners in Canada has done a few years ago), i have to say your digital ranks up at the top for me. Zanden, DCS Vivaldi and Metronome Kalista Reference (or Calypso which is later than Kalista).

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Went from the Kalista Ref to the Stahl Opus Transport . A clear step up in my books .

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Went from the Kalista Ref to the Stahl Opus Transport . A clear step up in my books .

WOW...that is saying something. I have heard the original Stahl-Tek Transport but never had the chance to A/B. Although the Stahl-Tek tempted me for a little while, when i was considering going full-Zanden (vs Oppo + older Zanden DAC)...I would not have expected that some might feel the transport bested the mighty Kalista Ref...interesting feedback Jazzhead. Thanks.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Do you know what system was used in this review? The same they used in a previous DCS Vivaldi listening session?

"DA0 3.0 DAC was used together with CEC TL0 3.0 transport using both, Superlink as well as RCA (S/PDIF) connections. A separate listening session was conducted using Audionet ART G3 CD Player utilized as a CD Transport (Philips CD Pro2 LH). Signal from unbalanced outputs was delivered to Ayon Audio Spheris III preamplifier using Siltech Triple Crown interconnect and than using Crystal Cable Absolute Dream IC to Soulution 710 power amp.

I used my own Harbeth M40.1 loudspeakers as well as semi-active Aequo Audio Ensis with signal delivered to them using Tara Labs Omega Onyx. I also used the 1390 PLB a pair Polish Pylon Audio Opal Monitor [Polish] loudspeakers. Even the latter clearly presented difference between Superlink and S/PDIF connection."

" vivaldi Review.jpg
System description

dCS
Vivaldi DAC: 111 920 z?
Vivaldi CD/SACD Transport: 137 510 z?
Vivaldi Upsampler: 70 350 z?
Vivaldi Masterclock: 54 360 z?

Cables to connect the separate dCS components
ZenSati #3 digital AES/EBU IC 1 m (5 sztuk): 5 x 5 248 z?
The master clock was connected via 5 BNC cables from Transparent Audio

Power Conditioner
PowerCell 10 SE MK III: 33 660 z?

Power cords
Anaconda 1,8m (do DAC-a): 13 940 z?
Anaconda 1,8m (do transportu): 13 940 z?
Element C.T.S. Digital Power 1,5 m (upsampler): 15 680 z?
Element C.T.S. Digital Power 1,5 m (Masterclock): 15 680 z?

Hi-Fi rack
Artesania Audio EXOTERYC 3 level rack: 22,210 z?
Synergistic Research Tranquility Base under the Vivaldi transport: 10,870 z?"

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
"DA0 3.0 DAC was used together with CEC TL0 3.0 transport using (...)

Thanks, I did not notice when I read it first time. It is great to know we have now so many great digital systems, but I fail to understand how anyone can make so definitive comparative conclusions about them based on listening in so different systems.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Agree the TLO is great drive--unfortunately I had to let mine go--it would not play my CD-Rs--Mitsui's, MoFi's, Verbatins/etc/etc

Sad

BruceD

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, I did not notice when I read it first time. It is great to know we have now so many great digital systems, but I fail to understand how anyone can make so definitive comparative conclusions about them based on listening in so different systems.

Hey Micro, I have found the reviews on this site to be quite good and particularly enjoyed when 7 different opinions on the day of auditioned are shared. I wonder (have not checked) if they listened to Vivaldi for many months perhaps with different equipment. He certainly refers to it as a benchmark when reviewing other digital.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing