Rhapsody is now a MSB dealer

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Glad to hear that you are really starting to like/love native dsd. Do yourself a favor and buy some Challenge Classics dsd 256 and dxd files and you will be in for a real treat. In the Challenge Classics thread I started on WBF you can fibd some stunning sounding CC files.

One question: how would you compare native dsd played on your MSB dac to tape and vinyl reproduction from a sonic perspective?

Hi Audiocrack. Thx for the Challenge Classics lead, will pursue it.

My tape and Vinyl setup really sound good to me. BUT and I am hesitant about saying this, but I was NEVER as "wowed" with either the vinyl or the tape sound as I was hearing the native 128 dsd tracks. These native dsd tracks sound as good as anything that I have ever heard, period. The tape and vinyl, although both different may have some "softer", more organic sound overall, but the soundstaging on the dsd stuff is "out of control", in a good way and in a league of it's own with respect to my system that I am playing it through.

Just having started with the dsd stuff on Friday, it's possible that because it's so new and so "WOW" that I am "over experiencing" it at the moment. I will know better after a few weeks and then some back and forth with the exact same recordings.

Overall I now think of the dsd, tape, vinyl, cd and even Tidal channels all having their own virtues and depending on mood I might choose one or the other. BUT if I want to WOW someone I would, without a doubt put on a native dsd file, no question about it.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012

My tape and Vinyl setup really sound good to me. BUT and I am hesitant about saying this, but I was NEVER as "wowed" with either the vinyl or the tape sound as I was hearing the native 128 dsd tracks. These native dsd tracks sound as good as anything that I have ever heard, period. The tape and vinyl, although both different may have some "softer", more organic sound overall, but the soundstaging on the dsd stuff is "out of control", in a good way and in a league of it's own with respect to my system that I am playing it through.

Just having started with the dsd stuff on Friday, it's possible that because it's so new and so "WOW" that I am "over experiencing" it at the moment. I will know better after a few weeks and then some back and forth with the exact same recordings.

Overall I now think of the dsd, tape, vinyl, cd and even Tidal channels all having their own virtues and depending on mood I might choose one or the other. BUT if I want to WOW someone I would, without a doubt put on a native dsd file, no question about it.

Really appreciate your clear and honest answer. Native dsd and pcm played on a really nice/good player - in my case the Lampi GG/lampi computer (dsd) respectively the Trinity dac/Trinity server (pcm) - really gives me a lot of pleasure. But apparently we hear so differently or appreciate various aspects of music reproduction in such different ways that quite a few audiophiles do not like to listen to files. Anyway, enjoy your 'file journey'.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Welcome to the party. Been inviting you for years. Its called DSD done right. Fake DSD reproduction does not cut it.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Welcome to the party. Been inviting you for years. Its called DSD done right. Fake DSD reproduction does not cut it.

Norman, I've thought of you a hundred times in the last week. I know you were telling me that several years ago. Honestly I tried certain files in the past, but the Dac's I were using and the files just ended up sounding good, but nothing that kept my interest. I just did not have the "right combination".....I sure do now.

You are right native DSD is quite something....I'm a believer. I'm one of those guys I guess that has to experience it for himself to understand:)

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016

Hi, I am new to the party and want to try DSD. My Marantz 7702 processor can play DSD files and I can use my PC to play them. Is there another way to proceed to "do it right"? I don't have an SACD player but can get one if needed. I can even store DSD files on a thumb drive and just plug it right into the unit. My PC has HDMI out as well. FYI:

The extremely versatile AV7702, perfectly and expertly handles any kind of high-resolution multichannel audio format. It also offers an extended network package including audio streaming, internet radio, Pandora®, SiriusXMTM, Spotify Connect®, and AirPlay®. It even includes built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capabilities. However, to get the best of the latest high-resolution DSD and FLAC HD format, we recommend hard-wiring the units

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Norman, I've thought of you a hundred times in the last week. I know you were telling me that several years ago. Honestly I tried certain files in the past, but the Dac's I were using and the files just ended up sounding good, but nothing that kept my interest. I just did not have the "right combination".....I sure do now.

You are right native DSD is quite something....I'm a believer. I'm one of those guys I guess that has to experience it for himself to understand:)

Bob, you gotta take my word as Gospel, like I take yours! You have not steered me wrong yet and I dont think I have done "wrong" by you yet musically. LoL:D:D:D:D

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hi, I am new to the party and want to try DSD. My Marantz 7702 processor can play DSD files and I can use my PC to play them. Is there another way to proceed to "do it right"? I don't have an SACD player but can get one if needed. I can even store DSD files on a thumb drive and just plug it right into the unit. My PC has HDMI out as well. FYI:

The extremely versatile AV7702, perfectly and expertly handles any kind of high-resolution multichannel audio format. It also offers an extended network package including audio streaming, internet radio, Pandora®, SiriusXMTM, Spotify Connect®, and AirPlay®. It even includes built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capabilities. However, to get the best of the latest high-resolution DSD and FLAC HD format, we recommend hard-wiring the units

Doc, please first understand that this is only my opinion (though shared by a few). DSD done right for me is basically some form of 1 bit processing (in the DAC), example like with Lampizator chipless, or T&A Dac 8 DSD (best playback upsampled to DSD512 as sweetspot), discrete filter board. ifi IDsd is pretty good, as the BB chip has a DSD bypass pathway and the expensive guys like MSB, Playback Designs and dCS have proprietary DSD tech as well.

Personally, I like Lampi DSD the best from what I have heard so far and the new Atlantic line is big value for money (DSD256 included). You can also pick up a used DSD only lampi (topping at DSD128) for about $2,500 or even less. Great at native rate playback.

So its not just how the Dac is fed, but how the Dac handles the delicate DSD stream that matters. Just playing back a DSD file does not guarantee the stunning quality we look for, as many ready chip solutions simply convert the strem internall to PCM via the Dac chip, or the FPGA overprocesses the signal and thereby introduce sonic compromises.

When you have DSD done right, then you start to understand why people who are passionate about DSD feel the way they do...while still loving great PCM!

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Bob, you gotta take my word as Gospel, like I take yours! You have not steered me wrong yet and I dont think I have done "wrong" by you yet musically. LoL:D:D:D:D

Norman, on this one you were WAY OVER THE TOP CORRECT, I should have pursued it when you visited and "showed me the light", which unfortunately I did not see at the time. Thx for all of your efforts and advice, it's appreciated.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Norman, on this one you were WAY OVER THE TOP CORRECT, I should have pursued it when you visited and "showed me the light", which unfortunately I did not see at the time. Thx for all of your efforts and advice, it's appreciated.

The pleasure is ALL mine Bob. You are a gentleman and a scholar and I am delighted to have befriended you.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
Doc, please first understand that this is only my opinion (though shared by a few). DSD done right for me is basically some form of 1 bit processing (in the DAC), example like with Lampizator chipless, or T&A Dac 8 DSD (best playback upsampled to DSD512 as sweetspot), discrete filter board. ifi IDsd is pretty good, as the BB chip has a DSD bypass pathway and the expensive guys like MSB, Playback Designs and dCS have proprietary DSD tech as well.

Personally, I like Lampi DSD the best from what I have heard so far and the new Atlantic line is big value for money (DSD256 included). You can also pick up a used DSD only lampi (topping at DSD128) for about $2,500 or even less. Great at native rate playback.

So its not just how the Dac is fed, but how the Dac handles the delicate DSD stream that matters. Just playing back a DSD file does not guarantee the stunning quality we look for, as many ready chip solutions simply convert the strem internall to PCM via the Dac chip, or the FPGA overprocesses the signal and thereby introduce sonic compromises.

When you have DSD done right, then you start to understand why people who are passionate about DSD feel the way they do...while still loving great PCM!

Thanks, very important to know before I start buying DSD downloads. I'll see what I can find out about how the Marantz 7702 DAC handles the stream and post my findings before I start shopping.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Thanks, very important to know before I start buying DSD downloads. I'll see what I can find out about how the Marantz 7702 DAC handles the stream and post my findings before I start shopping.

You can start by downloading the free samples at nativeDSD.com and 2L recordings. iFi-Audio also had some free tracks available a while back and they still might be gettable.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
You can start by downloading the free samples at nativeDSD.com and 2L recordings. iFi-Audio also had some free tracks available a while back and they still might be gettable.

Great, I'll try them today, thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing