Rhapsody is now a MSB dealer

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Rhapsody is honored to become a MSB Technology dealer. We have received our initial product, the Select II DAC (pics below) with the Femto 33 clock upgrade and the Dual Power Base. I won’t even try explaining the sound other than a one word description “believability”. On the way are:
-Universal Media Transport
-Analog Dac
-Platinum Stereo S201 amplifier
-Platinum Mono 204 amplifiers
20160901_141657.jpg 20160901_141713.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Nice Bob.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thx Ked, come back:) Now with the Select II Dac and the Magico M3's/Mpods the game has been "upped":)

If you need to clear out space, I can hold one of your tape decks

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Congrats on that Bob. I first heard this DAC in SoCal at Alma Music and then recently at THE Show in Newport where they had the big one on display with dual power supplies and it was the best DAC I have ever heard anywhere

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Congrats on that Bob. I first heard this DAC in SoCal at Alma Music and then recently at THE Show in Newport where they had the big one on display with dual power supplies and it was the best DAC I have ever heard anywhere

Thx Steve, same here. I was sort of stunned when I put it in the system(s). The denseness of the images is quite something. It does all of the other things that it's supposed to do and it should and it's price point, but the image density is what floored me the most.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
May I ask what the term "image density" means?

First time I have heard it used. Thanks.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Congratulations. The Select DAC is probably as good as any DAC I have heard. I wish it was at my price point.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Thx Steve, same here. I was sort of stunned when I put it in the system(s). The denseness of the images is quite something. It does all of the other things that it's supposed to do and it should and it's price point, but the image density is what floored me the most.

have you listened to hi-rez PCM with it?

twice at shows I have visited the MSB room with the II Select and was told that they only play CD's. I wanted to hear it play PCM hi rez.

then asking about why I was rudely told that that was all their customers cared about.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I was certainly impressed with how it sounded for CD. reminded me of the Trinity dac I had. but hi-rez PCM with the Trinity was better than CD with the MSB II Select.....to the degree one can tell those things without them being in the same system.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
May I ask what the term "image density" means?

First time I have heard it used. Thanks.

Hi- for me "image density" means that the images that are produced on a 3D holographic soundstage. Sometimes the "images" have a "silhouette" sense to them. Sometimes the images are vague, sometimes they have a stronger "presence" than at other times.

It's not just resolution as with video the greater the resolution usually means greater image clarity and greater image density.....more pixels, more real looking. It's more about each voice and each instrument is very, very solid, more solid than I've ever heard from digital, or maybe anything.

I think of it as if you have an image of a face and you color it with a crayon lightly, that is what I normally feel like the images on the soundstage are like. But with this Select Dac it seems like someone took a heavy magic marker and completely filled the image of the same face and made it's visual presence very strong.

I often wonder about how different "carbon life forms" perceive 3D holographic soundstages. I know from experience some people can sit and listen and don't even see a holographic sound stage and another person can sit in front of the same system and feel like they are looking at a holographic presentation.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Congratulations. The Select DAC is probably as good as any DAC I have heard. I wish it was at my price point.

Hi Jim, thank you.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

twice at shows I have visited the MSB room with the II Select and was told that they only play CD's. I wanted to hear it play PCM hi rez.

then asking about why I was rudely told that that was all their customers cared about.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I was certainly impressed with how it sounded for CD. reminded me of the Trinity dac I had. but hi-rez PCM with the Trinity was better than CD with the MSB II Select.....to the degree one can tell those things without them being in the same system.

Hi Mike, I haven't yet, it's still breaking in and I'm like the anti-Christ with listening. My tapes sound best, then my vinyl, then my server based files, then my cd's and lastly Tidal>Aurender. I listen personally to Tidal streaming 99% of the time because it's changed my musical listening experience. I love to jump around to different music types. I like to listen to 1-2 or 3 tracks and then on to something else. I strive to get Tidal sounding as best as I can because it's how I listen and enjoy my musical listening experience.

I know all of my other sources "sound better" sonically, BUT if the music through Tidal is GREAT enough (it has to be GREAT sounding or all bets are off) and I can connect emotionally with the music that I am listening to then the selection of music at my fingertips/Ipad have overwhelmed me in a very good way....just a personal thing.

I will let you know once the Dac breaks in and I try some Hi rez PCM.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Of course I've heard it post hirez files at Alma and at THE Show. The top of the line DAC was played by the US Sales manager. He played a hirez file with a piano solo that knocked me off my seat. I have never heard a piano reproduced in such a life like fashion. Best DAC Uve ever heard. Unfortunately with the two power supplies it was over $100K

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

Hey Mike, 24 176K files will make it hard to listen to Tidal. And I don't feel like that even about my vinyl or Tape, even though they definitely in another sonic league vs. streaming. Although it's a new experience, sort of like a "deer in the headlights".

The Select Dac only have about 100 hours on it but with the 24/176 files that I just tried, it sounds pretty crazy. Lot's of good stuff out there these days.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hey Mike, 24 176K files will make it hard to listen to Tidal. And I don't feel like that even about my vinyl or Tape, even though they definitely in another sonic league vs. streaming. Although it's a new experience, sort of like a "deer in the headlights".

The Select Dac only have about 100 hours on it but with the 24/176 files that I just tried, it sounds pretty crazy. Lot's of good stuff out there these days.

thanks Bob. that is the feedback I'm looking for....and that is what I heard on my Trinity. and I fully expect the MSB Select II to be better. hirez PCM is really great stuff. if you get a chance to hear native dxd on it I would love to get that feedback too. some of the Challenge Classic native dxd downloads are suppose to be amazing. from what I've heard it's even better than Quad dsd with the right dac.

I would have loved to hear that at the Newport Show.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
In the demo I saw no discs were played during the time I was at the event. All tracks were off a server and included 16/44, and hi-tez files. I do not remember if DSD files were played but the SQ of the 16/44 and higer rez PCM left nothing on the table.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
In the demo I saw no discs were played during the time I was at the event. All tracks were off a server and included 16/44, and hi-tez files. I do not remember if DSD files were played but the SQ of the 16/44 and higer rez PCM left nothing on the table.

assuming we are speaking of the MSB Select II at the Newport Show in June......I only recall redbook. a particular piano recording. and multiple other's I had contact with told me that was also what they heard.....and they...like me....were very impressed.

maybe they had hirez.....but if so, why would the guy have given me crap when I asked him to play hi rez?:confused:

and i saw the CD and it's case he was playing. I own that same CD.

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
assuming we are speaking of the MSB Select II at the Newport Show in June......I only recall redbook. a particular piano recording. and multiple other's I had contact with told me that was also what they heard.....and they...like me....were very impressed.

maybe they had hirez.....but if so, why would the guy have given me crap when I asked him to play hi rez?:confused:

Mike, thx, it was a good suggestion...a no brainer for most probably but I was so taken with what Tidal streaming sounding I didn't care if something sounded better. I would have got to it eventually, but WOW, it is quite something. It should be WOW at the price point, but at least it is.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

No, this was an event at David Michael Audio outside of Detroit. Had nice conversations that evening with both Larry and Vince.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing