Favorite Operas

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
While not to everyone's liking, opera is nonetheless a huge audio spectacle when done right. From the early Living Stereo recordings, many of them excellent, to modern digital multi-channel productions and Blu-Ray issues, opera offers an immersive listening experience that should be sampled.

I thought it'd be a good idea for us to compile some favorites and suggestions in this thread.

Starting with something from the golden era of Decca operas, here's Luciano Pavarotti at the height of his vocal powers singing some familiar tunes in a very well-recorded performance:

http://www.amazon.com/Puccini-Turan...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1290902720&sr=1-1

Moving to a modern series, the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra and Chorus on Melba recordings has set down an incredible multi-channel SACD version of Wagner's Ring Cycle. While Solti's set on London/Decca probably stands as the ultimate "reference" version of these four operas-in-one (and is available for ~$900 on an Esoteric CD reissue), the spaciousness allowed by multi-channel presentation really contributes to clarifying textures and separating vocal and orchestral lines in complex passages. These are stunning recordings.

Here's Die Walkure, which contains the most well-known tune in the entire cycle, The Ride of the Valkyries (made famous in Apocalypse Now):

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Die-Wa...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1290903069&sr=1-1

The other installments, Das Rheingold, Siegfried, Gotterdammerung, are also currently in print.

Even if your musical tastes don't lean toward opera, or classical music in general, I'd recommend that you sample just a few iconic recordings to hear what can be done with massive musical forces.

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Don't know why Lee but your post reminds me of this fantastic scene in the movie Philadelphia. I don't think I understood the nature and attraction of Opera until I watched this:

PS Seems like the above is from the European PAL DVD capture as the pitch sounds too fast to me.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I love Italian opera,but german operetta holds a special place in my ear. The beautiful Anna Netrebko Sings Franz Lehar's Meine Lippen sie Kussen so heiss.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Lee,
are you also a ballet fan?
I have to say I love both, for opera my favourites are from Puccini,Verdi, and of course Bizet :)
For ballet I have a soft spot for Tchaikovsky.

Cheers
Orb

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Lee,
are you also a ballet fan?
I have to say I love both, for opera my favourites are from Puccini,Verdi, and of course Bizet :)
For ballet I have a soft spot for Tchaikovsky.

Cheers
Orb

Yes, I am. Originally from Cleveland, I was lucky enough to see the Cleveland Ballet perform many times. I saw Baryshnikov in the White Oak Project and the Kirov a few times. I have a reasonable collection of ballet music, often finding it livelier than many straight classical pieces.

Lee

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Some of my favorites:

Strauss - Salome. I have several versions on disc, but none compare to my memory of a concert version in the early 1970s with the Chicago Symphony, Sir Georg Solti conducting, and Birgit Nilsson singing the title role.

Bizet - Carmen . The recent Met Live in HD performance with Elina Garanca moves right to the top of my list. It's out on DVD but I'll have to be happy with my recording of the PBS version until the powers that be at the Met and/or DG deign to do a Blu-ray release.

Britten - Peter Grimes. I encountered this as a neophyte in the 1970s at Lyric Opera and was, as they say, blown away by Jon Vickers and the production. The penultimate scene in this production was done so well that every subsequent version I've seen was a disappointment. I very much liked the Met's Live in HD version with Anthony Dean Griffey, but as with the Carmen, no Blu-ray yet.

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I love Italian opera,but german operetta holds a special place in my ear. The beautiful Anna Netrebko Sings Franz Lehar's Meine Lippen sie Kussen so heiss.
Thank's for the link to that performance. She also does a very nice version on The Opera Gala from Baden Baden available on DVD and Blu-ray. That concert also features Elina Garaca.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Some of my favorites:

Strauss - Salome. I have several versions on disc, but none compare to my memory of a concert version in the early 1970s with the Chicago Symphony, Sir Georg Solti conducting, and Birgit Nilsson singing the title role.

Bizet - Carmen . The recent Met Live in HD performance with Elina Garanca moves right to the top of my list. It's out on DVD but I'll have to be happy with my recording of the PBS version until the powers that be at the Met and/or DG deign to do a Blu-ray release.

Britten - Peter Grimes. I encountered this as a neophyte in the 1970s at Lyric Opera and was, as they say, blown away by Jon Vickers and the production. The penultimate scene in this production was done so well that every subsequent version I've seen was a disappointment. I very much liked the Met's Live in HD version with Anthony Dean Griffey, but as with the Carmen, no Blu-ray yet.
I am with you on Salome and Grimes but Carmen never moves me. I think it is the only opera that I have walked out on twice.

OTOH, it is available on Blu-ray:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Bizet-Carmen-Blu-ray/2574/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Bizet-Carmen-Blu-ray/1936/

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I am with you on Salome and Grimes but Carmen never moves me. I think it is the only opera that I have walked out on twice.

OTOH, it is available on Blu-ray:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Bizet-Carmen-Blu-ray/2574/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Bizet-Carmen-Blu-ray/1936/

Sometimes I feel the same way about Carmen, for me it is one of thsoe operas that critically relies on who are the performers, and one IMO that Placido Domingo should had stayed away from as his acting/voice does not fit I feel.
Also a long time ago I heard it in Spanish instead of French, and I have to say I actually preferred the musical flow in Spanish.

Cheers
Orb

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Yes, I am. Originally from Cleveland, I was lucky enough to see the Cleveland Ballet perform many times. I saw Baryshnikov in the White Oak Project and the Kirov a few times. I have a reasonable collection of ballet music, often finding it livelier than many straight classical pieces.

Lee

Ah good experiences :)
Thanks
Orb

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Also a long time ago I heard it in Spanish instead of French, and I have to say I actually preferred the musical flow in Spanish.

Cheers
Orb
Ha. The only time I enjoyed Carmen was a rough-and-ready performance in German at the Staatsoper Berlin.

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Another opera (though some might quibble about "opera"):
Sondheim - Sweeney Todd - I saw it on Broadway in about 1980, at Lyric Opera with Bryn Terfel, and in many smaller productions. My favorite is the DVD of the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra in 2001 with Patti LuPone, George Hearn, Timothy Nolen.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Ha. The only time I enjoyed Carmen was a rough-and-ready performance in German at the Staatsoper Berlin.

Glad it is not just me then who feels that possibly it may work better outside of French :)
Ironic that it seems all the major recordings for Carmen are in French (still trying to find a major Spanish version), its a conspiracy I swear :)

Thanks
Orb

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Another: Bartok - Bluebeard's Castle - I first heard this without any idea of what was to come. Georg Solti, Chicago Symphony in the 1970s, perhaps with Tatiana Troyanos. After the 4th door, the stage doors opened so that yet more trumpets and trombones could join in the massive chords of the 5th door. Quite an evening! I have several versions on CD but don't have a real favorite.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Another: Bartok - Bluebeard's Castle - I first heard this without any idea of what was to come. Georg Solti, Chicago Symphony in the 1970s, perhaps with Tatiana Troyanos. After the 4th door, the stage doors opened so that yet more trumpets and trombones could join in the massive chords of the 5th door. Quite an evening! I have several versions on CD but don't have a real favorite.
Yes!!! I have several beginning with the Susskind/Bartok and Dorati/Mercury but there are two recent ones that I listen to more frequently and both are spectacularly well recorded: Eötvös/Hanssler and Fischer/Philips, the latter in mch SACD. I was a bit less impressed with the recent Gergiev/LSO.

Kal

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing