Alpha Series in comparison to Zitron Python or Anaconda

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
As the Alpha Series power cords are newer - yet less expensive - than the Zitron Python or Anaconda, which one affords a higher sonic fidelity to real(ity) life?

I'd read that the Zi-Trons were either 1) not shielded or 2) inadequately shielded. I'd never seen if that was conjecture or fact. When the Alphas came out, it was clear that they surpassed the ZiTron Cobra, but did that apply to the whole original ZiTron line or merely the Cobra? I see several Python and also a few Alpha HC cords for sale. May I ask anyone's experience who has tried both? I've had the Alphas, but at that time owned only Cobra power cords and speaker cable and since the Cobra was the speaker cable, always wondered if the improvements of the Alpha went largely unheard.

Will a purchase of an Alpha (HC or non), therefore, be a wiser move than purchasing a ZiTron Python power cables?

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Without question, I would look to the Alpha HC. It is the best value. They are measurably filtered and contain our most recent conductor technology. Second, I'd recommend any of the older CX Series power cords. Black Mamba HC for amps, CX for sources or Python/Anaconda CX. Hey, if you get a good price on a CX for Alpha HC, take it.

Your comment about reading an anecdote of radiation noise is a microcosm of what is wrong with posted internet opinion because anyone, even complete idiots, can post opinion. It's not your fault at all, we all read opinion and many time's its worth less than a penny.

Caelin has addressed this issue emphatically and in detail. Its a silly argument from one layman that wandered around with a tri-field meter thinking he knew something about measurement.

We beta things to death. We measure and re-measure. We spend a huge amount of resources just to vet the products. The power cords, power and signal products are brick-solid accurate and quiet. They do not communicate noise and we've done live and video measurements to validate that. A random guy wandering around with a tri-field meter was ridiculous and we addressed it.

Using shielding on power cords has limited value past entry level power cords because the shielding compresses the conductors to a small but audible degree. There are better ways to deal with radiated noise.. The EMI radiation is within an extremely narrow field, almost immeasurable in the way it affects surrounding cables or components, so the idea that it has some profound affect is simply not accurate to be kind. Proper cable-dressing is a far better way to address noise field energy. Crossing conductors or cables at 90-degrees, etc, not running everything in parallel with twist-ties, which I see ALL the time--would be a start. :)

I've stood in front of some of the smartest electrical engineers in the recording and medical fields and done demo's hundreds of times. There are no questions we are unwilling to address. Still, scant internet naysayers will have their way and it gets repeated.

Anyway, I appreciate the opportunity to reply and your sincere questions. I hope some of this is of some help.

Best regards,

Grant

Last edited:

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
Thank you. I admit to wistfully wondering what the ZiTron Python sounds like, given previous ownership of Alphas and Cobras, but nonetheless, it is good to receive a straight answer from the manufacturer.
As for dressing cables, one would think it is a truism by now that keeping cables off the floor alone will improve the sonics: that that works has been evident since 1988 when Enid Lumley advocated it, along with keeping power cords away from signal cables (although some equipment manufacturers so often place the RCA jacks inches away from the power cord input).

Thank you for responding and clearing up a myth.

Last edited:

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
I don't see an Alpha HC for sale, only a few Alpha Analogue. I purchased a Sigma Analog (non HC) on my PS Audio Power Plant, and might put the Alpha on a lower powered integrated amp.Do I need to wait for an Alpha HC? I'm not yet springing for another Sigma, thanks: this one is only 4 days old and I'd like to hear the complete break-in. Will a regular Alpha benefit a lower powered integrated? It currently has a Nordost Heimdall 2 on it.

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Hi,

If it's me choosing and you already have Sigma in the system. I would hold out for an Alpha HC. It is truly a superior cable on any type of amplifier whether high or low current. Alpha Analogue power cords should be relegated to pre-amps and line level gear, maybe a DAC. The added money spent on an Alpha HC is worth it, in my experience. I would say the Alpha HC and Sigma Analogue are our Swiss Army knife power cords. They work with everything. However, if you have a pure digital output device like a NAS, hard-drive. video digital, then the the Venom Digital or Alpha Digital power cords are fine. Anything that has a dynamic-draw power supply, even a DAC? Alpha HC or Sigma Analogue if you can swing them, otherwise, Venom HC. I am a fan of bigger gauge for almost all non-digital-output components when it comes to our power cords.

I hope this is of some help. Feel free to write me at grant@shunyata.com with your system details. I would be glad to help.

Best regards,

Grant

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing