Springsteen at the Meadowlands 8-25-16

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
What’s nice about summer is that the classical season is over and that means its time for good ol’ rock and roll concerts. This summer has been capped by 3 memorable pop concerts. We saw a wonderful Jackson Brown show at the Beacon theater in NY in July (with Steve and his wife, Cathy and Myles and his wife Heidi). Then a few weeks ago I saw an absolutely fantastic concert by Yes in the intimate Mayo theater in Morristown NJ. I’ve never seen Yes in concert. Their musicianship is at the very highest level in rock. Those in the know appreciate that Steve Howe is probably one of the greatest rock guitarists of all time, although he may be the least well-known. He did not disappoint. He may look like he is going to go to the great R&R stage in the sky any day, but the guy can play. And I mean play.

But this post is about another iconic R&R figure, Bruce Springsteen. I’m embarrassed to say I have not seen Bruce before, but last Thursday, Aug 25h at the Meadowlands was a show for the ages. Even long time Bruce attendees said it was his best show in many years. I’ve always liked Bruce, but like many rock legends (the Grateful Dead come to mind) , his recordings have never had the same gravitas that his concerts have among the Springsteen afficionados. Yet 50,000 of them gathered in the Meadowlands on a warm summer evening to hear their favorite NJ son, and wow is all I can say. I may have been the only person there that did not know the lyrics to every song. I mean every damn song. He’s been touring for over a year by starting his set with the River album, which many fans find slow going. But for his Meadowlands tour starting last Tuesday, he changed that and it was a rocket ride from beginning to end. The complete review and play list is here:

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/mus...en_nj_concert_2016_review_metlife_photos.html

It was indeed memorable for several reasons. First, it was the longest concert he has ever done according to several reports such as the one above.. Four hours of non-stop music. What keeps his battery charged is very simply the crowd. He feeds off of it and you can see that easily. How Max Weinberg manages to drum relentlessly for 4 hours without being plugged into a AC outlet is a mystery to me. Unbelievable energy.

Here too the musicianship was first rate as everyone who knows the E street band will confirm. But they were also joined by a guest guitarist in Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine), who shredded the guitar with the solo of the night. That's saying something as Nils Lofgren is no slouch on the guitar and had some superb solos as well, but Morello was in another zone. Some highlights were that Bruce spotted a 3 years old girl in the front row who knew all the lyrics and invited her up to sing on stage, which she did. The crowd went nuts. He hoisted he up on his shoulder and said that was a record for the youngest person he ever pulled from the audience to come up to the stage. At the end of the show, during “Jersey Girl”, Bruce spotted a marriage proposal occurring in the first few rows and he pulled that couple on stage and sang to them while they danced arm in arm. Again, the crowd went nuts. He passed the mic to the groom to be who said to his fiancé, “I love you more than music. I love you even more than Bruce”. Springsteen was hysterical and the audience almost had a stroke as well. It was beautiful and made more beautiful by fireworks over the stage as the song played.

Finally word about the sound. We were at the opposite end of the stadium from the stage but with a great view of the hi def big screens so it was a surprisingly involved feel even though were were 150 yds from the stage. The sound was terrific. Loud but pretty damn good. How loud? Check this out from my trusty meter, capturing 108dB here. Routinely the sound was between 95 and 100dB and broke 100dB often. Without earplugs (to damp things down a good 10 db or so), I’d be deaf by now.

IMG_0731.jpg

And the mix was pretty impressive as well. Aside form a nice bass hump that is par for the course at rock concerts, the response was notably smooth and not offensive in any way (except for the volume).

IMG_0727.jpg

We were about 50 yards away from the speaker arrays that fed our section. But don’t try this at home folks. Your system would disintegrate in smoke. A truly fantastic night.

Marty

Last edited:

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
You are so spot on. I own most of this recordings but seldom listen to them. Bruce was born to be heard in concert. Shows are seldom the same from night to night. When the E-Street Band was being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame a few years ago, one of the mentioned that on their recent tour they had played 259 different songs.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I heard him in his prime and last at his Born In The USA Tour in the early 80's in LA. I was sitting next to Henry Winkler and his wife. The concert was still going at 1:00 AM and we had to leave shortly after that. The only concert that I have attended that was longer than Springsteen was the Grateful Dead.

Marty is right on when he states that Springsteen feeds off the crowd.

Out of curiosity Marty who replaced Clarence Clemons on sax as he passed in 2011

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Clarence son Jake is on sax. A 4 hour show doesn't sound like his longest, checking one of the fan Websites will probably give you a few shows over 4 hours. All his oncerts from the past three years are available for purchase at reasonable prices. Sound quality is very good using his studio recordings as a standard (i.e. not close to audiophile quality)

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Last heard Springsteen live in 1981 from the comfort of the New Jersey Bell corporate box at the Brendan Byrne Area.

Never got into his music.

Marty, did you hook up with Peter?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Jake is actually Clarence's nephew, not his son

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
...it was the longest concert he has ever done...

Marty

It turns out this is the longest concert he has done in the USA. IIRC there are 3 European concerts at or over 4 hours. I shouldn't have been so dismissive above :(

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I saw this online today.

Bruce Springsteen did it again. He topped his own record for longest United States concert by one minute on Tuesday night.
Springsteen and the E Street Band’s third and final show on “The River” tour at MetLife Stadium Tuesday night came in at 4 hours, 1 minute, just one minute over the record he set during Thursday night’s show in the Meadowlands

His longest show might have been a few years ago, at age 62

Tuesday was Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band's final show in Europe on this leg of the Wrecking Ball Tour. They've been on the road since May 13.

So how bout this to wrap it all up? A four-hour-and-six minute, 33-song show! And what an incredible set list. There were five tour premieres. And on top of that, Bruce came out an hour before showtime to perform five songs acoustically (three of those tour premieres if you want to count them). So the early-arriving fans got 38 songs!

The 4:06 time is the longest Bruce Springsteen show ever. It beats the 3:48 show in Madrid on June 17. And don't forget, this man is 62-years old!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I saw this online today.

Bruce Springsteen did it again. He topped his own record for longest United States concert by one minute on Tuesday night.
Springsteen and the E Street Band’s third and final show on “The River” tour at MetLife Stadium Tuesday night came in at 4 hours, 1 minute, just one minute over the record he set during Thursday night’s show in the Meadowlands

His longest show might have been a few years ago, at age 62

Tuesday was Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band's final show in Europe on this leg of the Wrecking Ball Tour. They've been on the road since May 13.

So how bout this to wrap it all up? A four-hour-and-six minute, 33-song show! And what an incredible set list. There were five tour premieres. And on top of that, Bruce came out an hour before showtime to perform five songs acoustically (three of those tour premieres if you want to count them). So the early-arriving fans got 38 songs!

The 4:06 time is the longest Bruce Springsteen show ever. It beats the 3:48 show in Madrid on June 17. And don't forget, this man is 62-years old!

He does give a great show but jets not forget Hagger at age 73 and a great grandfather to boot.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Jorma Kaukonen's 75th birthday party concert on 11/20/2015 at the Beacon Theater featured him leading Hot Tuna and a variety of guest sit-ins for well over 3 hours of music, over 4 hours if one includes set breaks, encore breaks and between song chatter and tuning

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
4 hours, about 4 days...

"The Woodstock Music & Art Fair—informally, the Woodstock Festival or simply Woodstock—was a music festival attracting an audience of over 400,000 people, scheduled over three days on a dairy farm in New York state from August 15 to 17, 1969, but which ran over four days to August 18, 1969."

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
4 hours, about 4 days...

"The Woodstock Music & Art Fair—informally, the Woodstock Festival or simply Woodstock—was a music festival attracting an audience of over 400,000 people, scheduled over three days on a dairy farm in New York state from August 15 to 17, 1969, but which ran over four days to August 18, 1969."

Of course, Jorma and Jack were there

https://youtu.be/SbWSlKALV0M

but earlier comments were about elderly musicians playing long concerts. You could add up the ages of all the performers on stage for most of the Woodstock acts and they wouldn't equal Jorma and Jack; many of them wouldn't even equal Jorma alone :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing