Follow-Up Question: What Audio Reviewing Term Makes You See Red?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

keithyates

Industry Expert
Apr 25, 2010
"Fast" or "slow" woofers. Perception of bass "speed" does not generally connect to any physical property of the woofer or subwoofer, it typically connects to a property of the acoustic environment, mainly its low freq reverberation. To hear your woofer's "speed" change, just move it to the backyard or other open space and replay the same passage: Presto (so to speak), your previously lethargic woofer is now lightning fast.

For most of you this is all basic, Sound 101 stuff. Amazing that some in the industry, even those writing reviews, seem so, well, slow to get it.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I think there's people in my gym who'd pay someone else to do their cardio workouts too :)

That's going in my book right next to life coaches and people who pay others to walk their dog.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Get cracking on that book Greg. Where do I sign up to get a copy?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Get cracking on that book Greg. Where do I sign up to get a copy?

As soon I get auto signature device. I'm too lazy to sign your copy.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ah so High Tech. I'll pay for the rubber stamp.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I get tired of 'bright' or 'too bright' -- I see this in reviews and hear it from audiophiles all the time. Many live instruments sound 'bright' at their upper reaches, some even kinda aggressive. I'm convinced a lot of audiophiles like stuff rolled off and that some manufacturers have voiced their equipment to meet them there.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Rob, I also think some of what's described as "too bright" is the result of untreated first reflection points. Amazing what a modest amount of appropriate absorbtion will do to clarify HF.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing