Lampizator Golden Gate Balanced Playing DSD256 and DSD512

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Bill, have you posted the review yet? I was expecting that. :)

Hi Ferrox,

Not yet my friend but will be fairly soon. Hopefully in next few weeks.

Cheers,

Bill

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
This is the procedure: http://www.amanero.com/howto.htm

Also your Linux will need to be patched. You can follow the issue here especially once firmware is released: https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-native-dsd/issues/12

Thanks bibo01. It's too high-tech for me to do it myself. According to Auralic, the Aries can stream native DSD256 via Linux. But Amanero has not come out with new firmware to allow Linux stream native DSD256 or DSD512, only for Windows is available the moment. Correct me if I'm wrong.

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013
Thanks bibo01. It's too high-tech for me to do it myself. According to Auralic, the Aries can stream native DSD256 via Linux. But Amanero has not come out with new firmware to allow Linux stream native DSD256 or DSD512, only for Windows is available the moment. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct.

Possibly, when a new Amanero firmware is available, it will be one's DAC producer who will update it.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Anyone heard the GG with 512 yet per chance?

Cheers

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Anyone heard the GG with 512 yet per chance?

Cheers

I have not but I am thinking about sending my GG back to Poland for a few updates. One of the possibilities is dsd 512. Talked about it with Wisnon; not sure if it is a really wortwhile feature. As far as I know there are no native dsd 512 files available so it is (only) about upsampling. Do we think that upsampling everything to say dsd 256 or dsd 512 make files sound better or is playing files in their native configuration the best way to go?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I have not but I am thinking about sending my GG back to Poland for a few updates. One of the possibilities is dsd 512. Talked about it with Wisnon; not sure if it is a really wortwhile feature. As far as I know there are no native dsd 512 files available so it is (only) about upsampling. Do we think that upsampling everything to say dsd 256 or dsd 512 make files sound better or is playing files in their native configuration the best way to go?

Hi Rudolph,

On a Lampi I am not totally sure at this point. With the original dsd engine and importantly PCM engine, I found the delta between the 2 large and thus upsampling to dsd was the way for me back then. When the PCM r2r versions appeared, PCM was profoundly uplifted and virtually on a par with some dsd (not obviously the great dsd recordings that are virtually unparalleled in digital IMHO).

That said, having spent a lot of time now reviewing the SGM server with T+A dac, I can 100% say that the performance of the T+A is monumentally uplifted versus no SGM - this was all @ 512. Tidal to 512 was very much an experience.

Alas I was only able to upsample to double dsd on my GG due to an issue but my GG returns today with 512, just a shame the SGM is now back with new owner. The SGM to double dsd on GG delta was less than the SGM to T+A delta at most rates - i.e. The gains with upsampling on T+A were much larger than the gains on GG.

The technical question for me is whether there is something about different dac topologies that lend themselves more happy to powerful upsampling versus native. That said, whilst other reviewers have stated the r'aison detre of the SGM is the ability to upsample to 512, this is IMHO nonsense. A great server like SGM can perform very well using much lower sampling rates or none. I know of some Total Dac customers experiencing tremendous gains with SGM but not upsampling to high rates at all.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Bill,

I expect the V2 R2R engine and the Superclocked USB will obviate the need to upsample for Lampi owners.

I agree, a great Server like the SGM will make Mp3 sound wonderful.

I can tell you that my Pal PhiliAc has an Aurender W20 and says its wonderful, BUT he also has a Lampi Komputer and says THAT beats his Aurender! I want to get his reaction when he finally gets the Superclock upgrade...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bill,

I expect the V2 R2R engine and the Superclocked USB will obviate the need to upsample for Lampi owners.

I can tell you that my Pal PhiliAc has an Aurender W20 and says its wonderful, BUT he also has a Lampi Komputer and says THAT beats his Aurender! I want to get his reaction when he finally gets the Superclock upgrade...

Custodian just posted that he sold off his dCS CD player because he prefers his Aurender S10 and has now got a W20 into his Vivaldi dac

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The technical question for me is whether there is something about different dac topologies that lend themselves more happy to powerful upsampling versus native. That said, whilst other reviewers have stated the r'aison detre of the SGM is the ability to upsample to 512, this is IMHO nonsense. A great server like SGM can perform very well using much lower sampling rates or none. I know of some Total Dac customers experiencing tremendous gains with SGM but not upsampling to high rates at all.

The best sound I heard in your system is when the Aries streamed natively to PCM with the 242s. I think you will agree that too. We didn't get that when we met with Marc and then you recollected that it is possibly because the default setting for PCM was to upsample up to 384, or it was possibly because the attenuators were mistakenly left in in the RCA jacks.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bill,

When is the superclock coming?

tsaett

May 20, 2014
Cologne
Bill, how would you describe the differences between GG and T+A overall when both are being fed optimally?
Or are you covering that in your upcoming review?
Your guests seem to differ in this regard, would like to know your personal opinion.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing