ClearAudio / Technics

moonloopsun

Aug 26, 2016
Hi there,

I am new to the Forum and really hope to find some good recommendation from some experts here...
I just got into the Vinyl world not long ago, and I have a Pro-Ject Carbon that I am honestly not so happy with... Its a bit too fragile and not the best sound.

I considered a change to a new ClearAudio Concept or to a second hand (nearly mint) Technics MK6K1 that a friend has.
I would love to understand what does it really mean when I buy a second hand Technics normally? Would I need to buy a new Cartridge / Needle because the build in one that originally come with the Technics (barely used) is not the best for my kind of music?
(I listen to Rock music normally).
And If I do need to change one, than, which one would you guys recommend ?
Or should I go for the ClearAudio Concept Turntable ?
That's for 100% home use..

I have a Yamaha CX-A5100 Amp, and KEF R900 Speakers.
Thanks a lot for your time, Looking forward to hear from you guys.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I'm not that familiar with that model of Technics. Is the Clearaudio new and something that will be set up professionally? (assuming you can't do this?)...if so the CA might yield the best outcome. Good luck

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Being a Technics owner (original 1200Mk2s and M5Gs) since my high school days I would say that they play well rock pretty well with a suited MM cartridge. Carts that would come to mind among current production MMs are those from Ortofon and Shure. A safe inexpensive bet for rock would be the Shure 44-7. I find modern Stantons too tipped up in the presence range. The Ortofons and Shures today are typically full bodied and forgiving so go well with solid state amps and speakers with metal dome tweeters. The forgiving nature is welcome for electric guitars particularly the rhythm guitars.

While well isolated mechanically the DD motors and thin platter with stock mat is rather rumbly but again that is not so much an issue with rock. I think low mass belt drives typically lose out considerably on percussive force when compared to DDs or Rim/idlers for that matter so they might be more suitable for music that is less saturated. This will take the form of a sense of leanness and an emphasis on the upper midrange. Distortion from guitar amps for example could become rather fatiguing and drum kits miniaturized. Just my opinion, as always YMMV.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing