Design a Mac Mini music server

vigotone

Nov 28, 2010
Thanks, Amir. What DAC would you recommend (without breaking the bank)? Any thoughts about using an Apple TV as the front end for the Mac Mini? Or would sound quality suffer if I went through the ATV as opposed to the Mac Mini directly?

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Apple TV also has a Toslink out in addition to HDMI so in that sense it is no worse than Mac Mini. The advantage of using the PC is that you have the wider choice of DAC interfaces including USB and Firewire.

On DACs, what kind of budget do you have?

vigotone

Nov 28, 2010
My budget for a DAC would probably be under $500. I've heard good things about DACMagic from Cambridge Audio. So would I go USB out from the Mac Mini and then RCA connectors to the EXT. IN on my receiver?

I was also planning on using the Mac Mini to play video files, many of which are probably 5.1. Is there a way to specify that 2-channel music uses the USB connection and videos with 5.1 soundtracks use the HDMI connection?

For simplicity's sake, perhaps I should just go HDMI to the Denon for everything. I'm amazed the DACs on it are so cheap, considering it was such a pricey piece of equipment!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am not a Mac guy so can't answer your specific question. Even on a PC it can be a hassle to switch modes that way on the fly depending on content. So I would agree with staying with the Denon and HDMI input. It is simple and convenient.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing