Acoustic Frontiers presents "The Bass Optimization eBook"

zydeco

Oct 16, 2010
WA, Australia
Great e-book. I’m interested in set-up for a single listening position for stereo music. My reading of the e-book suggest that the recommendation for this situation is that a) sub-woofers are most often needed to get full range reproduction and b) just two subwoofers are needed (as we’re just optimising one location). All this makes sense. The interesting part is the recommendation in the section on signal processing to high-pass the main speakers at 80Hz to avoid “unpredictable behaviour”. Is this a reference to the L / R signals vs. the mono signal of the sub-woofers? And, if so, then is there something clever that those of us with JRiver can do via high-pass the main speakers and then adding back a <80Hz mono signal to both stereo speakers?

prerich

May 21, 2012
Please have a read of my first eBook! It's about optimizing bass, and covers a number of areas including room construction, acoustic treatment, multiple subwoofers and equalization. It's not intended to be a super technical and definitive "manual", more a high level overview of the things that are in my opinion important. With the framework I present in the eBook, you'll be able to identify and research things in more detail to help you get killer bass!

Let me know what you think :)

You can download it by clicking through to this page: THE ACOUSTIC FRONTIERS GUIDE TO BASS OPTIMIZATION.
Thanks Nyal!!!!!!

zydeco

Oct 16, 2010
WA, Australia
Rationale for high-pass the main speakers?

@Nyal - I'm interested in the rationale for the general recommendation to high-pass the main speakers (given the context of the Geddes model in which the mains are run full range). Is it that with identical mono subwoofer sources it's much simpler to avoid phase / time issues (as main speakers will add stereo + different phase delay)? And what about the idea of using DSP to use (capable) main speakers to produce mono?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing