Looking for a GT

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Looking for advice for a true GT in the old sense of the word. Looking for a family mover that is comfortable doing long drives on multiple days. Want comfort and sportiness but not an econobox or minivan. Won't rule out new but an older car is probably on the table. The main criteria will be size as I am fairly large and my daughters are getting tall also. The usual suspects of the merc E, BMW 5 are low hanging fruit Looking to expand the universe and see what people have experience with out there.

Beau

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I,d look no further than a C63 AMG. Less expensive than the E Class and faster. My other choice was an Aston or Maserati

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Bruce,

Thanks I will look at that option. One concern from a short look is room in the back seat. Our journeys usually involve my teenage daughters in the back. As I am 6'4" I need a car that I either don't have to reach the seat all the way back or has room behind if I do. Believe it or not our Mini Countryman meets those criteria but is now getting tight.

One I have been keeping an eye on is the new Alfa Guilia. If it delivers on all promises it looks like a great car.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This is always a fun and interesting question!

Bruce -- would you not worry about the reliability of an Italian? (Or even a Brit, for that matter?)

Before I got the SL550 in 2008 I seriously considered the Maserati GranTurismo. But I decided without hesitation that having two temperamental Italians would be a bad idea. (Plus I liked the retractable hardtop on the SL.)

Beau -- What about one of the fast, new Audi coupes or sedans? I have no idea why I think this but I feel like the upper-end Audis are very well-made these days -- and maybe more reliable than the MBs?

PS: I am not at all a general fan of Mercedes; I just happen to love the SL as the perfect daily driver car for me in Los Angeles.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

At the risk of sounding confrontational ;)..Test drive a Tesla S. While I do understand the love of a car, reliability has come to mean a lo to me now that I own a car I still love but whose overall reliability is to say the least questionable (Mercedes G-Wagon) to the extent of in theprocess of acquiring a car of similar capability but of better (by a thousand miles) reliability , the Lexus GX-460.
The other choice would be a Lexus GS 450 Turbo F. The F series is truly sporty and while Lexus doesn't carry the cachet of MB or BMW, it can be argue they're better cars at the very least competitive , spectacular performers and are reliable. Toyota-reliable. Start and drive for years with no fuss. The styling of the GS450 IMO is an acquired taste.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Franz,

I actually have driven a Tesla S. Thought it was pretty good on Manhattan street, unfortunately didn't get to stretch it's legs very far. The one delabreaker for me was the steering column. No matter the seat position it was difficult for me to get into the car, even with the column up. Seems they use a flatter column (Subaru has same issue for me) that doesn't allow it to get out of the way for larger people like myself. Also range was (?) an issue. Even at 250 mi I looked at our most common routes and I wouldn't have been able to make it the entire way without some careful planning. I would want a claimed 400mi range for some cushion as I know they don't get that if you say turn on heater, go faster etc.

As for the Lexus, well I am not excited by the styling but it's not a complete turn off. I'll take a look.

Ron,

I worry about the reliability of most makes as my journeys usually take me to out of the way places and many end in rural Louisiana, where unless it's a Ford or Chevy you could be stuck calling AAA for a long tow if there's an issue. The Audi's are an option although their sporty models tend to be pricier than competetors and they don't offer the RS6 wagon here in the US which actually put this bug in my head.

Hi

At the risk of sounding confrontational ;)..Test drive a Tesla S. While I do understand the love of a car, reliability has come to mean a lo to me now that I own a car I still love but whose overall reliability is to say the least questionable (Mercedes G-Wagon) to the extent of in theprocess of acquiring a car of similar capability but of better (by a thousand miles) reliability , the Lexus GX-460.
The other choice would be a Lexus GS 450 Turbo F. The F series is truly sporty and while Lexus doesn't carry the cachet of MB or BMW, it can be argue they're better cars at the very least competitive , spectacular performers and are reliable. Toyota-reliable. Start and drive for years with no fuss. The styling of the GS450 IMO is an acquired taste.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If your daughters get as tall as you, you'll need a limo :D

My daughters are getting tall too. Their both closing in on 5' 5" and growing. I'm only a shade over 5'10" though and already they're starting to get cramped up in my C63. I think comfort would be more of a consideration over sportiness in your case so perhaps an S65 AMG? I can't see your girls being comfortable in a coupe given the limited head room even if it is a 4 dour coupe like a CLS, 6 series T or A7.

You'll surely not want for luggage space.

If it were just me and the missus, my dream would be an Aston Martin. Unfortunately while visiting the bay where the newly arrived cars were being prepped for display, my wife said "over my dead body!". LOL!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Then definitely an S63 or S65 AMG!!! They come in both 2 and 4 door!!

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Jack,

My daughters are 5'9" at 13 and we hope they have stopped! I agree with the coupe being too cramped that's why I am looking outside the usual suspects. The new Alpha has promise but comes with that "Alpha" caveat of reliability.

While the S65 is a nice car, but if I could afford one I would get a Lambo Espada and enjoy the ride, damn the reliability!

There's no rush at the moment so I am going to scout out what's out there and see what pops up.

BTW, don't think I congratulated you on your election. Good luck.

If your daughters get as tall as you, you'll need a limo :D

My daughters are getting tall too. Their both closing in on 5' 5" and growing. I'm only a shade over 5'10" though and already they're starting to get cramped up in my C63. I think comfort would be more of a consideration over sportiness in your case so perhaps an S65 AMG? I can't see your girls being comfortable in a coupe given the limited head room even if it is a 4 dour coupe like a CLS, 6 series T or A7.

You'll surely not want for luggage space.

If it were just me and the missus, my dream would be an Aston Martin. Unfortunately while visiting the bay where the newly arrived cars were being prepped for display, my wife said "over my dead body!". LOL!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Porsche Panamera. Leg room in the executive models is huge.

Audi's look smaller. But Audi and Porsche are reliable like Toyota/Lexus. Mercedes is low on reliability, BMW middle of the road.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Test drove the A7 recently - I felt it needed more power. If you can swing it, the S7 would be my Audi decision. It looks amazing and relatively unique; hatch is quite useful compared to a trunk.

That said, the rear seats are fairly tight on all these 4 door coupes, so may not work with your family.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jack,

My daughters are 5'9" at 13 and we hope they have stopped! I agree with the coupe being too cramped that's why I am looking outside the usual suspects. The new Alpha has promise but comes with that "Alpha" caveat of reliability.

While the S65 is a nice car, but if I could afford one I would get a Lambo Espada and enjoy the ride, damn the reliability!

There's no rush at the moment so I am going to scout out what's out there and see what pops up.

BTW, don't think I congratulated you on your election. Good luck.

Yes you did, thank you again my friend :) Your girls are pro sports tall! Looks like that Limo is in the cards :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing